Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, Dear Bull club members,

I have a ford taurus 2000 SE with vulcan OHV and it has about 140K miles on it. Yesterday when I was driving at 40mph, the car overheated and almost reached redline. Turning on heater didn't help since it didn't blow hot air.
So I pulled it over and had the car towed home.
Here's some symptoms I noticed:
1. Just moments before I pulled over the car, I heard a popping sound. I stopped the car and found that large volume of coolant was spewed out quickly from under the engine.
2. There are no leaks on expansion tank and cap, or thermostat area, or any hoses that I can see under the hood. The water pump is good, no coolant marks on it. pump was replaced 6 month ago.
3. I crawled under the engine and saw coolant was dripping down the engine body near the exhaust pipe. I couldn't find the source of dripping since the view was blocked by metal parts.
4. The car has been misteriously losing coolant in the recent week pretty fast. I noticed the car was coasting at 1700rmp, lower than the normal 2000rpm. I had to give a little gas to make it 2000rpm.
5. I had misfire in the past month from cylinder maybe 4,6(don't remember exactly which ones), the car shaked when started in the morning. But I cured by itself somehow and only occured occasionally later.
6. I just checked the dipstick, oil looked normal and clear.
I didn't see white smoke coming out of exhaust.
However, just moment ago, when I turned on the engine and then turned it off, I could hear a hissing sound coming from the engine area. I could tell it's not from the expansion tank.

could it be the head gasket is blown ? Is it why I was hearing a popping sound before it finally gave up, and the lowering rpm bacause of leaking seal at head gasket ?

I read in a earlier post talking about a blown "core plug"(freeze plug) on engine could cause coolant loss from beneath the engine. Is it likely the cause ?

Sorry for the long post. :(
By the way, does anybody know how much it would cost to replace head gaskets, parts and labor ? I guess it would be a tough job for a noive to do it by self.

Thanks,
Jian

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Paul, I'll try to locate the freeze plugs tomorrow morning and see if there are any apparent leaks. Today is just too hot outside.
I couldn't find any info regarding these plugs in Haynes book. Anybody know where these plugs are and how many of them ?

Jian

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
There are some between the end of the block and the transmission and one on each head I believe.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi- Just a by the by, if your head has been blown, cracked or warped, you won't be able to do this job yourself as it will most likely have to be machined. Please don't spend all the time and money and replace gasket without taking it in to be machined. I'm well over 50 and a woman and it was hard for me and I got help (and a good mechanic would do it for about $400-600 if you buy your own parts) see fordparts.com- I hope you have good luck.

·
Registered
282 Posts
i would check the pipes between the engine and the firewall as well.

what happens if you fill it with water ? does it pour out?

·
Registered
809 Posts
Could be as simple as a blown hose or as bad as a blown head gasket. If you find no blown or cracked hoses you can pull the spark plugs and if you find one that looks really clean then there is your blown head gasket. You can also check/drain the oil and check if any coolant got in the oil, hopefully that is not the case. Due to the fact that you had misfire in the past month could also be an indication of a blown head gasket, but not necessarily. Good luck on finding the cause of your coolant loss.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts