Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 Mercury Sable with an AX4N front trans axle. I parked the car one evening (no problems or hint of troubles), went to drive it the next day and the car does not move in any gear, It does not react at all in any gear as you shift it. The tyranny dipstick says it is way over full ( i have not added fluid). Any Ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I have a 2002 Mercury Sable with an AX4N front trans axle. I parked the car one evening (no problems or hint of troubles), went to drive it the next day and the car does not move in any gear, It does not react at all in any gear as you shift it. The tyranny dipstick says it is way over full ( i have not added fluid). Any Ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Sounds like the pump drive shaft failed. Make sure the shifter cable is actually moving the shift lever. If you put it in gear with the engine running and the fluid is very high it's most likely that the pump is not turning. This is a good thread to read:
http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/98-...icles/91101-how-i-repaired-ax4n-tranny-6.html

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I had that happen in a 2004 Taurus. Got warning lights for about 200 miles and then when I was leaving Spokane and getting gas, I could not get it in any gear. $3000 will get it fixed for you. Good luck!!

·
Super Moderator
8,590 Posts
$3000 sounds way to expensive!! Was the pump shaft the only thing replaced? Shaft and TC? Entire tranny rebuilt? Where was the work done? Dealer?

·
Registered
833 Posts
Yeah what's up with that? You can get a reman tran for less than 2k, I can't see labor being more than a grand. If it was just a pump and shaft replacement shouldn't have more than a grand. If the car has more than 50k miles on it, might as well replace everything inside. But why pay the extra labor and parts, I'd just buy a reman unit....

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Yeah what's up with that? You can get a reman tran for less than 2k, I can't see labor being more than a grand. If it was just a pump and shaft replacement shouldn't have more than a grand. If the car has more than 50k miles on it, might as well replace everything inside. But why pay the extra labor and parts, I'd just buy a reman unit....
A Ford reman or an aftermarket reman?

I always have wondered if it's worth one's time buying a Ford unit that is bound to have the same problem as the original one did, as I doubt Ford made any changes/updates?

·
Super Moderator
8,590 Posts
I have heard some good things about the Jasper remans that do have updated parts. No clue on how their pricing compares to a Ford reman, but my guess would be the Jasper would be cheaper.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts