Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is actually sort of a basket case post, we recently purchased the car, while none of these concerns were happeing. It has 122,6xx miles

Alright, so I am having a rough idle when cold. Really rough actually, but I still have power if I rev it and it drives fine. I replaced the plugs already because they were shot. I did remove the UIM to do this (now knowing after searching, I should have just removed the wiper cowl). So today I wiggle tested and water tested the ignition wires and no arcing, I am going to replace them anyways along with UIM gaskets. I put our generic Matco scanner on it and it came up with #1 and #6 cylinder misfire and also an additional misfire under 1000 RPM's. So upon more visual inspection, I saw a collapsed vacuum hose that runs from the bottom of the TB to the LIM. That is going to be replaced as soon as it is in my hands. As soon as I can, I am going to spray the UIM with carb cleaner or equivalent to see if I have a leak if I haven't already replaced the gaskets. And I guess I'll go from there with the rough idle. On to the next issue...
I have been having electrical "gremlins". Radio and HVAC going out and coming on and I believe the "transaxle light" coming on once or twice. After searching around on here, I will be replacing the TRS. That and I pulled P0708 on her. And I also have a power steering switch fault which leads me to believe the TRS is on it's way out.
With all of this going on the battery light is coming on and going off when it wants to. I have already replaced the battery due to it being weak and have checked and load tested the entire system along with visual inspection to positive and negative cables. All passed. Could this possibly be related to the TRS or could it be the ignition switch, or something else? I am also getting P1246 for the alternator also.

Now after all of that, I have read here that I should have COP, but I have a coil pack. Can anyone clarrify this for me. It is a 3.0 DOHC and the car is a 2002 SE. Was the engine swapped, am I bending over and grabbing my ankles with this car? I doubt this car has seen a dealer lately, so is there any software updates out for any of the controllers that could help or cure my problems?
I am a Chrysler tech and limited to generic scan tools and have no diagnostic info to work with. Any and all info would be greatly appreciated.
I hope everyone can understand what I am trying to type and explain, and any help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the lengthy post.

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
This is actually sort of a basket case post, we recently purchased the car, while none of these concerns were happeing. It has 122,6xx miles

Alright, so I am having a rough idle when cold. Really rough actually, but I still have power if I rev it and it drives fine. I replaced the plugs already because they were shot. I did remove the UIM to do this (now knowing after searching, I should have just removed the wiper cowl). So today I wiggle tested and water tested the ignition wires and no arcing, I am going to replace them anyways along with UIM gaskets. I put our generic Matco scanner on it and it came up with #1 and #6 cylinder misfire and also an additional misfire under 1000 RPM's. So upon more visual inspection, I saw a collapsed vacuum hose that runs from the bottom of the TB to the LIM. That is going to be replaced as soon as it is in my hands. As soon as I can, I am going to spray the UIM with carb cleaner or equivalent to see if I have a leak if I haven't already replaced the gaskets. And I guess I'll go from there with the rough idle. On to the next issue...
I have been having electrical "gremlins". Radio and HVAC going out and coming on and I believe the "transaxle light" coming on once or twice. After searching around on here, I will be replacing the TRS. That and I pulled P0708 on her. And I also have a power steering switch fault which leads me to believe the TRS is on it's way out.
With all of this going on the battery light is coming on and going off when it wants to. I have already replaced the battery due to it being weak and have checked and load tested the entire system along with visual inspection to positive and negative cables. All passed. Could this possibly be related to the TRS or could it be the ignition switch, or something else? I am also getting P1246 for the alternator also.

Now after all of that, I have read here that I should have COP, but I have a coil pack. Can anyone clarrify this for me. It is a 3.0 DOHC and the car is a 2002 SES. Was the engine swapped, am I bending over and grabbing my ankles with this car? I doubt this car has seen a dealer lately, so is there any software updates out for any of the controllers that could help or cure my problems?
I am a Chrysler tech and limited to generic scan tools and have no diagnostic info to work with. Any and all info would be greatly appreciated.
I hope everyone can understand what I am trying to type and explain, and any help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the lengthy post.
Everyone here is pretty relaxed, nobody is big on flaming :lol2:

I think you're on the right track with the TRS. I would replace the vacuum hose asap and go from there.

"DTC P1246 is set when PCM detects voltage regulator temperature (calculated generator load frequency) falls below 6 percent."

My understanding from reading is that if the belt isn't broken and you have no issues with the wiring. it's likely to do with the alternator. If it isn't the alternator, then it could also be the PCM.

That's just from a little research, someone can feel free to suggest otherwise, just trying to help.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Everyone here is pretty relaxed, nobody is big on flaming :lol2:

I think you're on the right track with the TRS. I would replace the vacuum hose asap and go from there.

"DTC P1246 is set when PCM detects voltage regulator temperature (calculated generator load frequency) falls below 6 percent."

My understanding from reading is that if the belt isn't broken and you have no issues with the wiring. it's likely to do with the alternator. If it isn't the alternator, then it could also be the PCM.

That's just from a little research, someone can feel free to suggest otherwise, just trying to help.
Much appreciated, just new to Ford's, and it sucks with no computers. Advanced computers that is, also thinking about a BG fuel system cleaning. I don't know how sensitive these engines are.

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
Much appreciated, just new to Ford's, and it sucks with no computers. Advanced computers that is, also thinking about a BG fuel system cleaning. I don't know how sensitive these engines are.
I'd be totally lost under the hood of a Chrysler, I only feel at home under a Ford hood, or to a lesser extent a GM hood.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
:flamethrower:

Sorry, had to do it. JW is right on track. Many auto parts stores will do a load test on your alternator for free. Rough idle could be IAC related.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
the hose that looks liek it foes to the lim is the PCV hose.

the below prices are from rockauto.
Intake Manifold Gasket Fel-Pro MS92586 $ 14.00
PCV Motorcraft EV-243/YF1Z-6A666-AA $ 10.41
PCV Hose Motorcraft YF1Z-6A664-AB $ 13.45

I think your other issues might be related to ground faults, common for NE and the age.
While you have the UIM off, clean the contacts for the engine to frame and the ecu to frame grounding wires. There other main ground is from the neg battery to frame, I think it is hidden by the air box for your year. The HVAC and radio also have a common ground behind the dash, you will need the U radio tools to pull the unit out to get to the ground.
Die-electric grease will be your friend as you track the problems down. My car lived in the Chicago area for the first 2 years of it's live and I can't believe the rust it has in weird places.

·
Registered
23,575 Posts
Tweak177, cop was used on the tecs 2000, 04 and 05. 2001, 02 and 03 tecs had coil packs. Gen 3 sho(s) were also cop.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts