Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys im doing something like what DLC did with his wagon but im trying spray can plastidip in case its not what i desire. spent about an hour + taping and measure, now almost on can 3 of paint and it looks like CRAP!

since it is such a big area its very difficult to evenly spray with a rattle can, but even when i do i cant get the desired finish.

Im going to let it sit for tonight while i think of my options. but ultimately im going to rip it off.

Only thing i can think of is spray a coat of regular black paint over the plastidip but then if i try to remove it i amagine it will crap and be a total pain in the butt! or maybe try the same with clear coat, im not sure guys give me some ideas.

TIP: Use plasti dip by the "bucket" threw a real spray gun if applying to body.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
I would just do it in a satin black paint, whats the benefit of the Plasti-dip? You can go over it in Clearbra if you want it to be resistant to chips.

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
project was a total fail, and i wasnt sure if i was going to like it thats why i wanted it to be removable, i made a video of me removing it from the hood but im having some problems uploading it ill try tomorrow.

and the biggest problem with plastidip is that if you tape off a section, and spray some on the tape itself it connects when it dries, so you pull the tape off and the edge comes with it and ruins it... totally sucks.

·
Banned
3,228 Posts
Plastidip =/= auto paint.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
I used some plasti dip to see how black rims would look on my Bull. I like it. so i used the rest on my faded black trim pieces. LOVE IT. however now it has me wanting to remove the plastic trim pieces and paint them, the jet black looks good next to the frost silver on my 07 imo. When i get motivated to do the paint work on the trim i will post pics. I am kind of leaning to the black chrome rims. Think i will wait to next spring when i have to buy new tires.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
i found that removing the tape off as you are spaying ( still wet ) keeps it from peeling off. I sprayed the tape edge and removed as i was going down the edge line.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Yeah, it helps with ANY painting project to remove the tape before the paint fully sets up. I just painted my daughter's (on the way) room two colors and removed the tape between the two colors...perfect stripe. If you let the paint fully cure, it's very easy to have some paint chip off with the tape.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I read your comment on the vid...I would NOT cut along the tape with a razor blade. Won't matter how carefully you try to do it, chances are you WILL scratch the paint or clear coat below.

If you use a plastic cutting tool...maybe...but I'd just remove the paint while it's still a little wet.

·
Premium Member
14,356 Posts
I have yet to understand that rust hood crap. It's about as good as the wide mouth front bumper, fart cannon, park bench wing, and altezza taillights. All of which = RICE!

·
Registered
79 Posts
That guy is really under there though, that is no photoshop botch. he must weigh like 80 lbs.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Huh! I've never seen a rust hood.... I actually really like that look....

As for the plasti-dip, where do you buy a spray can of it? I'd love to get some to experiment with!

I do agree though, you need to pull the tape off as soon as you spray.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Really? It was a horrible ricer trend a couple of years ago. I still see a lot of Civics with rusty hoods...matches the trademark rusty Honda quarter panels that I see on almost EVERY Honda on the road.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts