Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
321 - 340 of 353 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
there is a pizza guy up here who is rolling in a fully decked out P71 Vic seen it alot in car show till last year with Lights and everything (not sure if they work or not they are inside the car and can barely be seen so i presume they do work)

·
Premium Member
4,809 Posts

·
Registered
7,373 Posts
Bwhahahaha.....seriously? They're suing Domino's? My gosh, that's ###### up right there.

I like these quotes:

"They said they hoped such a law would be called "Corey's Law" and would mandate that employers provide delivery workers with devices to allow immediate contact with police if they encounter danger on the job."

Hmm, a device that would allow immediate contact with police....I don't know, let me think, how bout A ###### CELL PHONE? I mean who doesn't have one these days?

"Egan said that in addition to the prospective legislation, which he said will be filed soon, the suit is a way the family hopes "to get the attention of major companies like Domino's that put these kids in terrible danger." "

See, I would think that as an individual, if you don't feel comfortable going into a certain area, I don't know, you might say something to your manager about it? Perhaps refuse to go? Maybe even "forget" to deliver it? But I seriously don't think Domino's specifically plans their delivery driver's routes so that they happen to pass through Mr. Robinson's Neighborhood 5 times in a run.

Personally, I feel for the parents. I really do. It's one thing for your kid to die by a stray bullet. It's another to have your kid "stabbed multiple times, tortured, abducted and transported in the trunk of a car, strangled and bled to death after his injured body was dumped in a field."

It completely sucks. You know who's fault it is? The soul-less, scum of the Earth, Alex Morale (who ironically seems to lack morals). No one deserves that for delivering pizzas and working their butt off for some overworked, underpaid job.

But you know who's fault it isn't? Domino's. At all. And definitely not worth a $15 million unlawful death suit. All the money in the world won't get your kid back...put it to rest.

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
QUOTE (soccernamlak @ Jun 18 2009, 11:48 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=733269
See, I would think that as an individual, if you don't feel comfortable going into a certain area, I don't know, you might say something to your manager about it? Perhaps refuse to go? Maybe even "forget" to deliver it? But I seriously don't think Domino's specifically plans their delivery driver's routes so that they happen to pass through Mr. Robinson's Neighborhood 5 times in a run[/b]
Well I hear you there, but I used to work for Pizza Delivery and we have a few bad neighborhoods around here, never tip, fear of getting robbed, terrible streets so car suspension gets messed up. But I know I tried to complain to my manager once about going there, and he basically said if I didnt want to go I didnt have too, But then I wouldn't have a job either.

·
Premium Member
1,958 Posts
Is the money in pizza delivery that good or the jobs that hard to get that one would knowingly put themselves at risk? I doubt it. I had a few friend who delivered pizza when I was younger. I worked in a hardware store. They boasted about the money they made in tips some nights. I boasted about my knowledge on home repair and my lack of need to repair my car. I always had cash in my pocket, they didn't.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #326
Well, what can I say?

Very tragic, to be sure, but I kinda side with Kal on this one. You take any delivery job, not just pizza delivery, with the understanding (at least with yourself) that you are taking your life in your hands every single time you turn the key. And I'm not just referring to the ***** kind of taking your life in your hands, where you may get struck by lightning, or some weak **** like that.

Driving to anywhere where the general public is could possibly get you killed. It's amongst the most dangerous job in the country. And it's simply due to the unpredictability of the average Joe. It's that reason alone that makes Domino's not responsible, as they are not clairvoyant, either.

I'm terribly sorry that happened, but sadly, it is what it is, and this will happen every now and then. I don't see a real good way out of it. If you give these folks some direct line of communication to the police, that would tie up resources for more serious issues. You would almost need something like San Francisco's Patrol Specials.

The fact that the door is always locked has little to do in the situation as well.......most delivery only places are like that. There is sometimes a good sum of money sitting in that place, and good security is a must.

Zorin

·
Premium Member
4,809 Posts
Yeah, I mean I really don't know what to make of the story, I just thought of this thread, and wanted to get your "pizza delivery experience" lense on the situation. :)

·
Registered
331 Posts
just sat here and read all 14 pages for the first time.. took me 2hrs and 45 mins.. but it was worth every second, the stories had me laughing hysterically. i loved it :thumb:

·
Registered
149 Posts
Thanks Zorin! A great read, even for a latecomer like me.

On a side note, I have a related story. The day you drug the guy at 50?

Well, a couple years ago, there was a guy who was impersonating a police officer (fake badge, flashing lights in his car, fake uniform, everything), pulling people over, and assaulting them. He finally got caught, by a little old lady who would make you proud.

Get this: The woman pulls over for what is apparently a cop. He comes to her window, which she only has down a few inches because of what has been happening on the news. Not down far, but far enough for a man's arm to get in. He reaches in and goes for the door lock...she goes for the window controls. Rolls the window up on his arm.

Then proceeds to drive to the police department, dragging the ass the whole way. Perp arrested, and no charges against the little old lady are ever filed. Not even a ticket. ;-)

·
Registered
81 Posts
hahahaha awesome stories! we need another thread like this!

·
Registered
51 Posts
QUOTE (Zorin @ Oct 8 2005, 01:06 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=270030
OK, if you are in the know, you know that I got fired from my job as a bowling machinery technician for refusing to do unsafe work.

So, I had to come up with something fast, because I'm not the type to sit on my butt. And I did. I took a job at the local pizza joint running pies. Fortunately, I'm not using the Taurus for this. My little "pizza wagon" consists of a well-worn 1992 Chevrolet Beretta that has a 2.2L four-banger under the hood, and comes with a row-it-yourself gearbox. Plus, it's mostly blue. I'll toss up a pic later. Onto my first day on the job....

My first delivery.....to a well to do gated community, complete with entry guard. I have little patience for these type of things. So, somebody opened the gate with a remote, and I blazed the gate with 90 horsepower of fury. I make my delivery, collect my tip, and get back in the car. When I started it, I realized just how loud it was. My dad put one of these ricer exhausts on it, and I swear, it sounds like a Honda with a fart cannon. At least, that's when I realized it.

I get back to the exit, and Barney Fife is standing in the exit, anxiously awaiting me.

Barney: "You know what you just did was trespassing?"

Zorin: "That's funny. My boss, my customer, and your boss will probably not see it like that. In fact, they'll probably see this as you just trying to get it up because you had a bad day. We done here?"

My second delivery....right back to the same place.

Barney just looks up at me, and i look over at him.

Zorin: "What're the odds?!"

He simply opened the gate this time, no fuss no muss.

Things went pretty easily till a little later, when I got sent to a nasty section of town. I got stiffed on the tip, and it made me want to say some nasty things about the particular person I delivered to. Considering my wit has gotten me in trouble at least once or twice, I decided to let it ride. Got back, cashed out, and called it a day. Didn't do too bad, and more importantly, didn't get lost.

Today!

Place was jumping, and didn't get stiffed once. Using all 90 horsepower, and needing more. But the appearance of the car sure came in handy. I pulled up to one guy's place, and it looked to me like Uncle Escobar was deep in Colombian higher trading practices. But I could have cared less.

Uncle Escobar: "Jesus, look at that shitbox. Here, man, take another dollar."

Zorin: "Sweet!"

Like I said, the Beretta was mostly blue....if you discount the primer and rust top, and parts of the car where the paint is peeling off like a bad sunburn.

I get back, and one of my coworkers is grilling me about the Beretta. He told me that I should use a nicer car, and then I told him that he should try driving around in a shitbox....it seems to help tips.

And, now, for the main event.....

They sent me to a re-run, one where the other driver couldn't make the delivery. Just my luck, it happened to be a bunch of drunks at a hotel. They told us one room number, and happened to be in another. So, they called, screaming for us to deliver to the other room, saying they wanted the pizza free, all that jazz. So my boss sends me to defuse the situation. This was probably a bad idea on everyone's part.

Drunk dude: "I swear, you goddamn pizza boys couldn't pour piss out of a boot."

Zorin: "Yessir, it'll be $21.64 this evening. I'm terribly sorry about the mix up."

Drunk dude: "$21.64? You mean I have to pay for this pizza, and this pizza, and some no-good ******* to deliver it?"

Zorin: "Yeah....$21.64, and have some respect, or I'll kick your ass."

I got a thirty six cent tip from him......this job's gonna be fun, I tell ya what.

Zorin[/b]
I know this pin is as old as the hills. I just never read it until now -- Ha ha ha... Zorin should write news stories in the opinions section - What a slice of life -= err... Pizza! ;)

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #332
Yeah, guys, it's been four years now at my new job..........

Maybe it might be time for the bearing salesman confessionals. With the economy going the way it has.......we've had some real lulu's in here.

Thanks for enjoying, guys.

Tim

·
Premium Member
3,228 Posts
QUOTE (Zorin @ Feb 4 2010, 08:32 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=783724

Maybe it might be time for the bearing salesman confessionals. With the economy going the way it has.......we've had some real lulu's in here.

Tim[/b]
More work confessionals. :D This should be interesting...

:chili: Do it, Zorin!

·
Registered
982 Posts
QUOTE (Brian_05_SEL @ Feb 4 2010, 10:43 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=783740
QUOTE (Zorin @ Feb 4 2010, 08:32 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=783724

Tim[/b]
More work confessionals. :D This should be interesting...

:chili: Do it, Zorin!
[/b][/quote]

Do it, and Burn Notice and Chuck Finley FTW!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I know it's an OLD thread, but I just got done reading all 34 pages! Took me a good two and a half hours but it was well worth it!

I have to say, seems like I don't want to get into Pizza delivery anymore, just doesn't seem worth it, with all the ******** you came across.

Good read, and hopefully you can make some more of these threads!

- Seth

·
Registered
982 Posts
I know it's an OLD thread, but I just got done reading all 34 pages! Took me a good two and a half hours but it was well worth it!

I have to say, seems like I don't want to get into Pizza delivery anymore, just doesn't seem worth it, with all the ******** you came across.

Good read, and hopefully you can make some more of these threads!

- Seth
He has, just do a search of his name for threads he started and most of them are about him sticking it to the man in one way or another.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Yes, I'm going to be one of those jerks who bumps an old thread, but after reading this thread, I don't think anyone will mind in this case.

Zorin - amazing stories, thanks for sharing them. I worked in the pizza business as a manager at two different shops in my lifetime. It's a business that always provides fun and crap simultaneously.

In high school, I was the Little Caesar's mascot who had someone try to run me over in the parking lot. On another occasion, I tackled my buddy from the next-door Subway shop when he had on his sandwich suit...only to discover he wasn't in the suit that day, a female employee was...oops.

I had a delivery driver punch me in the mouth when I was a manager because he was mad about getting stiffed...sent the jackass home, but the owner wouldn't fire him because the driver was getting him oxycontin pills for his addiction.

I slipped on a freshly-mopped walk-in freezer floor carrying two cases (80 pounds) of dough and shattered my arm. A few screws, a plate and a trip to court later because the owner didn't pay his workers comp insurance...I'm all better.

I never delivered except for in an emergency, but I do appreciate what delivery drivers have to put up with. I have always tipped very well.

Actually now, I just make pizzas at home, they're ten times better. :D

Accounting work is so much better now...but if I ever had to work in the pizza business to support my family, I'd do it again...just not delivering.

·
Registered
3 Posts
LOL!

Absolutely love it! Thanks for sharing, I'd love to know what the pizza guys think when they deliver to my house.. Good luck with the new job mate, hope all prospers. have you ever thought about working from home? can easily clear $60 a day offering basic services, throw a pm my way if you want to know more - don't worry i'm not selling anything though, lol.
All the best

·
Registered
112 Posts
I did my time behind the wheel as well...

Rolling a less than perfect vehicle is always good for tips. The newer your car, or the more "toys" you have (audio is a big one), the more they think you make.

I've had my share of ups and downs though. I got robbed a total of 3 times, with 2 more attempts. The first attempt was a little kid with a knife. He kept demanding the pizza and money and told me he was going to stab me. I told him I was going to spank his butt and take him home to mommy. He finally pointed at his older brother down the street (who was much, much larger than I was at the time) and told me that if I didn't hand everything over his brother would kick my ass... We went to talk to his older brother... I used to work with him at a grocery store, and not only were we pretty good friends, but my grandmother adored him. Needless to say, little brother got smacked in the back of his head, his mom paid for the pizza with a huge tip and I heard later that he got a belt across his butt later... ahhh justice... I'm still not allowed to talk about the second attempt. almost 10 years later, he's still confined to a wheelchair. The early post about a certain company not allowing weapons also has a policy about cooperating if you get robbed. Let's just say 2 broken ribs can really make a guy angry...

On the lighter side of things... I made a delivery to one of the hotels in the area, and I heard noises coming from the room that were obviously coming from a lady in the throes of passion... I waited a minute or two for the noise to stop before I knocked... This naked dude opened the door covered in sweat. I happened to be standing at just the right angle to see the bed. A rather attractive lady was being... entertained... by two MORE guys, and I was invited in to play as well... needless to say I refused.

The only delivery that weirded me out was a delivery to a normal house in a better part of town... A guy answered the door, told me he needed to grab his wallet and took off down the hall leaving the door open. On the TV was a homemade movie involving a guy and a pet... I left post haste...

·
Registered
33 Posts
I miss being a delivery driver! With the proper signs, cops don't do anything if you (slow) roll through stop signs or go around road blocks. So many shortcuts with a "_____ DELIVERIES" sign on your car.

321 - 340 of 353 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
About this Discussion
352 Replies
114 Participants
Blkfordtaurusman
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing