Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a nice Pioneer Head Unit One of the newer ones with the flip down face plate. And i just got new pioneer 6x8s for the rear both 110 wattts a piece. I have stock fronts.
Now I listen to just about everything. I crank it up without the LOUD settin on and almost everything will distort. I put it on the Powerfull Equilizer Setting and my rear speakers sound like complete **** so do the fronts. And I thought this was normal untill i got subs. No this is bulshit I was in my friends monte carlo today (old school 78) and he has an alpine system no subs but all speakers replaced and it has some damn nice bass and no distortion from any speaker i could hear and we had it damn loud. Everything was clear. How can I get this with speakers and a head unit. If it means differnet speakers there ebay for that. Please help me yall.
And on a futher note how to I attach my head unit metal harness thing the damn thing sides out every time i accelerate. Its annoying as sht.

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
It's distorting because you are clipping the signal out of your HU. Don't turn the HU volume up all the way. If you want the stereo louder, you are going to have to buy an amp. It would help if you put your pioneer speakers up front. The rear speakers are just for fill anyway.

Alpines are going to sound better than pioneers. That's why they are 2-3 times more expensive.

The HU should push back until it clicks.

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont have the actrull thing screwed in thats wat im talking about how do i do that?
So ur saying get some better speakers????

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Originally posted by silvapain@Jul 19 2004, 10:35 PM
It's distorting because you are clipping the signal out of your HU. Don't turn the HU volume up all the way. If you want the stereo louder, you are going to have to buy an amp. It would help if you put your pioneer speakers up front. The rear speakers are just for fill anyway.

Alpines are going to sound better than pioneers. That's why they are 2-3 times more expensive.

The HU should push back until it clicks.
I have an Alpine CDA 9813 HU and I love it! The reason his probably sounds so sweet and has no distortion is because he most likely spent hours adjusting the EQ & crossovers. I have spent hours turning mine and have brought it to the point where no level of volume will bring distortion and it sounds loud clear & amazing. I do have external amplifiers for both the subs and door & Rear deck speakers. Not to mention I have infinity components & boston acoustics speakers. The thing you have to do is send the right frequencies to the right speakers. For instance... my door and rear deck speakers only get frequencies of 160hz & up with a 24db drop on the crossover. This eliminates any bass distortion you'd get at higher volumes from these speakers. I've also adjusted the frequency curves on the EQ at various points. The subwoofers are sent frequencies of 63hz & below so that you will only get nice deep bass. Eliminating the boomy weird bass sound ( IMO ) and helps to keep the source of bass from being noticed. So it just sounds like its coming from all around rather than you hearing it coming directly from behind. I'm sure if you sat down and read the manual.... you'd be able to get it to sound pretty good. Just adjust the settings and you should be ok. GOOD LUCK! :banana:

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
The cage has some triangular-shaped tabs on the top and bottom, about 1/4" from the front. Those should be pushed from the inside of the cage outwards with the cage fully inside the dash. Those tabs are what hold the cage in place, and the cage holds the HU in place.

·
Premium Member
1,005 Posts
IMO Pioneer should of stayed in the home theater business to begin with. They do make ok top of the line stuff though. Your best bet is to turn down the bass or use an equilizer. I few years back I added a passive eq to a Sony Moble ES HU and that thing did a very good job even at 25W per channel. Do not ever use an active eq.

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No I dont have the LOUD setting on at all. Umm replacing the front speakers going to do much?

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Yeah. Your rears are so far away youre not getting the full effect. Get a set of decent front speakers, you will notice the difference.

-DC

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pioneers or Sony Xpliods? for the fronts and what size do i need?

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Originally posted by 95FORDT@Jul 19 2004, 11:49 PM
Pioneers or Sony Xpliods? for the fronts and what size do i need?
Why only those 2 brands? Checkout circuitcity.com, they have alot of stuff on clearance right now (the one near me does anyway) and they have internet specials from time to time.

-Damon

PS - Size you need I think is 5x7 or 6x8, but im not 100% sure, thats what it is on gen 3/4 at least.

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No Ive Got rears But I need fronts supposely. And I was talking to a friend (one witht he lancer)last night he told me alot. He said his rear speakers have nothing for base and i dont remember but he basicly had all highs for them and then his front speakers had real good lows. And then 2 Rockaford Foskate 12s. He said it sounded amazing.
BUt sony xploid and pioneer is carried in the closed store with car audio equipment. But Curcuit city has deal on right now might have to check that out today. And also will they install them for me? And finally what brand for a reasonable price for front speakers will give me some good bass?
ANd on a lesser note thanx to all that are helping.

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wait Wait I just relized my speakers are the 5x7s so that I could screw them into the rear deck with out rattling.

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Originally posted by 95FORDT@Jul 20 2004, 09:17 AM
No Ive Got rears But I need fronts supposely. And I was talking to a friend (one witht he lancer)last night he told me alot. He said his rear speakers have nothing for base and i dont remember but he basicly had all highs for them and then his front speakers had real good lows. And then 2 Rockaford Foskate 12s. He said it sounded amazing.
BUt sony xploid and pioneer is carried in the closed store with car audio equipment. But Curcuit city has deal on right now might have to check that out today. And also will they install them for me? And finally what brand for a reasonable price for front speakers will give me some good bass?
ANd on a lesser note thanx to all that are helping.
You can install them yourself if you wanted. Just buy the wiring harness adapters. They should have them at best buy and/or circuit city. They plug into the wiring harness and they have 2 wires that go onto the contacts of the speaker.

-Damon

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
I've got Pioneer 3 ways all around with a P6500 deck by Pioneer. The sound from that was great for me. I don't know what model deck you got, but mine with all new speakers sounded great. And then I got bored with the bass that was being produced from those speakers and went to a setup with and Infinity Reference 12.

I had my fade set to the rear 3 for more bass, have the LOUD feature on all the time, run the highs at 6, mids at 3, and lows at 1. Let me know if this helps at all.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Since you already have back speakers you definately need new fronts. When you get those in I would take your EQ off the powerful setting and use the Custom setting, adjust it yourself until it sounds good at loud volumes without distorting. I am not sure how much power your HU puts out, I think that one puts out around 200 total, 50 per speaker. I think that was is like my old pioneer and has Front Speaker Imaging. I would set that on the 150 setting once you get the new fronts in. You might also look at another thread here dealing with Mach Tweeters. You might want to consider adding some tweeters, either Mach or aftermarket. That combined with the Front Imaging setting will probably sound pretty good.

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
I have a pioneer mp5500 in my car, and it sounds great with the stock speakers... i ran them at full range to the stock speakers until i got a subwoofer a few weeks later..and they didnt distort.. :-/ after i put the HPF on, the speakers never ever distort..but thats expected

·
Premium Member
5,184 Posts
First before you replace anything. Turn the volume up, and then use the balance control and go from right to left... If you get more bass with the balance either to the right or left, your speakers are not hooked up properly. Do this with the rear speakers as well, there is a possibility that you may have one or more speakers hooked up in reverse polarity.

Use your EQ and put the bass around zero or less, and turn your loud control on. This way you will not need the bass on max all the time. This way when you crank it up you are not maxing out the amplifier as soon.

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Get kenwoods installed today for 100 bucks everything. Sounds bettter but people with Pionners what do u have ur speakers set at like lows mids and highs just to see what works because i just learned i could do that.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts