Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am new to this forum and have found similar threads to the one I am posting, but wanted to ask for advice anyway. I drive a 2000 Taurus with the Vulcan (vin U) 3 liter engine. I am replacing struts and springs all the way around. I, too, broke the pinch bolt off in the rear spindle. What are my options? I am not sure I can drill it out, but if that is what I have to resort to, I have no choice. Does anyone know of a typical parts store that could order a new spindle just in case? (O'reilly, AZ, NAPA, etc)?

Thank you for your help!

browless

·
Registered
31 Posts
Here's what I did when I broke a rear pinch bolt...

I used a cutoff wheel in between the ears on the the knuckle to cut the bolt and make it possible to remove the spindle from the strut.

Once the spindle was on the bench, I drilled out the remnants of the pinch bolt using a 1/4" drill bit (3 of them actually). I then used progressively larger bits until all of the bolt material was gone and replaced it with a bolt and nut. That whole process added about an hour to the job.

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
QUOTE (182rev2sev @ Jun 19 2009, 04:18 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=733604
Here's what I did when I broke a rear pinch bolt...

I used a cutoff wheel in between the ears on the the knuckle to cut the bolt and make it possible to remove the spindle from the strut.

Once the spindle was on the bench, I drilled out the remnants of the pinch bolt using a 1/4" drill bit (3 of them actually). I then used progressively larger bits until all of the bolt material was gone and replaced it with a bolt and nut. That whole process added about an hour to the job.[/b]
X2

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
QUOTE (rudedog @ Jun 19 2009, 11:47 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=733570
I'm not sure any of those would carry one "in-stock", they could probably order one, but your quickest, best route would be a salvage yard. Try carpart.com for places in your area.[/b]
I ended up going the salvage yard route. I lucked out because a guy came in 20 minutes after I purchased the spindle, while I was just waiting for the guy to pull it, a guy came in for the exact part - he was not a happy camper.

I replaced the spindle and got the assembly back together, now just "playing" with the parking brake cable - what a major PITA...

thank you for all the replies! I ended up drilling the old one out, but since the "pinch" was not straight, I ended up marring the non-threaded end and could not get the bolt all the way out...gave up and thus the salvage yard. Now I just need to bleed my master cylinder...

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
Does it make any difference for you northern guys to soak stuff in penetrating oil for a day or so before you work on stuff?

I can't count the number of times I have done removed the pinch bolts on genIII and GenIV Taurus's and never even came close to having a problem.

Of coursse if I lived up norther I would have more problems than pinch bolt struts

Mike
B)

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
QUOTE (mwt @ Jun 20 2009, 11:00 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=733896
Does it make any difference for you northern guys to soak stuff in penetrating oil for a day or so before you work on stuff?

I can't count the number of times I have done removed the pinch bolts on genIII and GenIV Taurus's and never even came close to having a problem.

Of coursse if I lived up norther I would have more problems than pinch bolt struts

Mike
B)[/b]
On my '02 a month ago, I sprayed the pinch bolts for 4 days. Both of the heads broke off after starting to come out. I drilled them out and reinstalled grade 8 bolts and nuts. The car has lived its lfe in Michigan and Ohio.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I broke off both pinch bolts on my '97 SHO and ended up drilling both of them out because i could not get them out with an extractor or anything. you can try and get them out but you may spend more time trying than it would take to drill them out. (see my post for all the details). Just go and get a metal drilling bit, drill them out and replace them with a bolt from NAPA. Just make sure the bolt and nut are a Grade-8, automotive bolts need a harder grade bolt than one you would find at Home Depot or Lowes. I almost made that mistake.

If you check my post there was someone with a set of spindles if you need.
Good luck and be patient.

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
I too has this issue. Upstate NY, Go figure.
My g/f has '91. When we replaced the rear struts last year we used the Monroe quick struts. Those old buggers just wouldn't separate from the coils. Any way. Like a dummy I too did not think to spray the b*tch down with a penetrating oil or the like. We broke the pinch bolt off at the head ! :angryfire: So I still had some 1/4" Metal drilling bits from my Explore Exhaust repair.
We spent 2 hours drilling that sucker out. Once it hole clear getting the strut free from the spindle was another problem altogether. But low and behold it got replaced. And used a Grade 8 Bolt with some Never Size on it. and 2 nuts.

The pass strut we replaced a week later. But this one. Every night when she got home from work. I Crawled under the vehicle and sprayed it down with some penetrating oil. Then an hour prior to removing the bolt it got sprayed down again :D . That sucker though rounded profusely came out in one piece. Replaced that one with a grade 8 bolt and 2 nuts.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Side view

Attachments

·
Registered
207 Posts
End view

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
WHAT THE TRUCK?
IS that a HOLLOW Pinch BOLT???...question mark.
or is that from you drilling it out?

Dah! I should know better. :doh:

·
Registered
1 Posts
The New City has an MacPherson Strut with stabilizer, coil spring in the front and torsion beam axle with stabilizer, coil spring setup at the rear.

We drove on the city roads and on the highways in the ratio of 60-40 before we came to a conclusion that the New City is able enough to handle the highways better than the city. At low speeds, over pot holes, a lot of noise filters into the cabin, and due to the harder suspension, the thuds are sometimes irritating.

On the smoother highways, the suspension works like a charm. It felt like the suspension had been swapped as we passed city limits!

What we also discovered after a brief research is the Indian City has 10-15mm more ground clearance compared to its South Asian Citys. The high seating is an added advantage over the older generations.

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts
No, it's not hollow. He's cut and drilled it.

The best thing for us salt-state people is to use HEAT. LOTS of HEAT. And up here, (at least at my job) we carry the pinch bolts for the Taurus readily in stock (usually 8 rear bolts and 2 front pinch bolts)... Your local Advance auto parts stores should carry them in stock.

QUOTE (thesavo @ Jul 5 2009, 10:28 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=737308
WHAT THE TRUCK?
IS that a HOLLOW Pinch BOLT???...question mark.
or is that from you drilling it out?

Dah! I should know better. :doh:[/b]

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've seen a few of you recommending heat on the strut pinch bolt to remove it. My concern is that several sources caution against using heat around the strut as it is pressurized.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts