Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I gotta say the Taurus Club community is awesome!

Next, the most recent addition to my Gen4 Taurus is the PIE FRDR-AUX. I bought it from crutchfield and it was by far the easiest thing I have installed on the car. Now I have a nice AUX input for an mp3 player.

I wanted to say that some of the documentation I've seen on the forums and net said you needed the oval stereo. My gen4 does not have that, but it does have the COMP and SHUFFLE buttons on radio preset 5 and 6.

Another test to try is without any CD in dash, push the CD button and on the dash it says "NO DJ" when trying to switch to the trunk-cd-changer. Now it switches to the AUX Input.:)

1) So now that I have this setup, I was wondering if it is worth upgrading my 4 stock speakers. Has anyone done this (without installing the Mach RCU)?

2) If I did upgrade to Mach, I'm a little confused on the tweeter installation. Do you have to install tweeters? If I did install them, would I need to run speaker wire or install any other hardware (cross-over)? My car is a 2002 SES.

3) Is there a gen4 Mach RCU? It seems that most of the ones I see for sale are from gen3.

Thanks!

·
Registered
173 Posts
First off I gotta say the Taurus Club community is awesome!

Next, the most recent addition to my Gen4 Taurus is the PIE FRDR-AUX. I bought it from crutchfield and it was by far the easiest thing I have installed on the car. Now I have a nice AUX input for an mp3 player.

I wanted to say that some of the documentation I've seen on the forums and net said you needed the oval stereo. My gen4 does not have that, but it does have the COMP and SHUFFLE buttons on radio preset 5 and 6.

Another test to try is without any CD in dash, push the CD button and on the dash it says "NO DJ" when trying to switch to the trunk-cd-changer. Now it switches to the AUX Input.:)

1) So now that I have this setup, I was wondering if it is worth upgrading my 4 stock speakers. Has anyone done this (without installing the Mach RCU)?

2) If I did upgrade to Mach, I'm a little confused on the tweeter installation. Do you have to install tweeters? If I did install them, would I need to run speaker wire or install any other hardware (cross-over)? My car is a 2002 SES.

3) Is there a gen4 Mach RCU? It seems that most of the ones I see for sale are from gen3.

Thanks!
Lots of questions, but let me share my knowledge.
First off, it would be completely pointless to upgrade your 4 speakers if and only if you have the regular rcu. The regular rcu has an output of roughly 2-3 watts per speaker, while the Mach Rcu has 20 watts per speaker. This can be upgraded to atleast 45 watts, to find more informatio use the topic finder button.
2. The tweeter helps a lot it is pretty crazy how smooth the sound sounds with the tweeter, I would open up either your left front door or right, and see if you have the connector. It should be a gray connector closer to the mirror and completely unused. If you have it great, the tweeter and case around it is just simply screwing in the two screws to secure it to the door.
3. I believe there are gen 4 Mach, I wouldn't see why not, try going on the for sale portion on this forum. That should give you a better understanding if they are selling it.

P.S. definatly upgrade the sound, you will be amazed.

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
1) So now that I have this setup, I was wondering if it is worth upgrading my 4 stock speakers. Has anyone done this (without installing the Mach RCU)? Upgrade the speakers (Infinity) if installing the MACH. Without MACH, it's a waste of time.

2) If I did upgrade to Mach, I'm a little confused on the tweeter installation. Do you have to install tweeters? If I did install them, would I need to run speaker wire or install any other hardware (cross-over)? My car is a 2002 SES. The tweeters make so much difference, you won't believe it's the same radio (in conjunction with the MACH)

3) Is there a gen4 Mach RCU? It seems that most of the ones I see for sale are from gen3. There are Gen 4 MACH RCU's, but a MACH RCU from a Gen 3 will work - I have one in my '02.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. I'll have to peak inside my door to see if have "the connector". I think I saw a photo of it in some other post. Is it difficult to find a pair of those sail panels? My car just has a plane black sail panel.

·
Premium Member
7,307 Posts
PM sent.:)

·
Registered
82 Posts
F

Thanks!
Upgrade to the Mach RCU. You won't believe the difference. Stock speakers are actually pretty decent. And yes, you can find gen IV Mach units.

I am actually doing this exact upgrade myself and was lucky that I found the parts at my local junkyard. Can anybody share how to connect the tweeters? I do not have the connectors in the door but the tweeters came with them.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Unless you have an SEL Taurus or LS Prem. Sable, you won;'t have the connector. For those that find this post in the future.

You can get some 98 Taurus/Sable tweeters (correct design) for your Gen 4. Cut the wiring after the connector in the door, as much as possible, then run the wires down to the speaker connector in the door. Match the colors, tap them in, and voila. Tweeters! Crossover should be built in. or if you find 98+ MACH door tweeters, that will work too. I just keep finding 1997 MACH setups lately....

·
Registered
128 Posts
just did this myself a while ago. The color of the tweeter wires matches what's in the car perfectly. I just soldered the wires coming out of the tweeter connectors directly to the metal tabs on the speakers. I wanted to splice into the speaker wire but it just had not enough slack and a small screw-up would have been catastrophic. The car sounds great.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One last question for all you guys. If I swap my standard RCU with a gen3 Mach RCU, will my in-dash CD player and the PIE FRDR-AUX work properly?

·
Registered
173 Posts
yes - no problem. I did this in my Gen 4 & it sounds great.
Well here is a question, what is the sound quality between using the cassette tape and the mod you did? Can you really make a difference, or do you think you hear a difference because people said there was?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well here is a question, what is the sound quality between using the cassette tape and the mod you did? Can you really make a difference, or do you think you hear a difference because people said there was?
I dont have a cassette so I dont know. But with the MACH rcu and the tweeters the sound is like night & day. Louder, better bass, higher highs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts