Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello. I just bought a taurus and am trying to fix a leaky bolt/vent tap? not sure what it is, this is on a 97 vulcan, probably the crappy xmission, i see there are 2 versions and the vulcans usually got the crappy one b4 2000. so I really don't want to spend alot of money on this car. to better understand the location of the bolt, it is at the top of the Xmission to the left of the air filter, to the right of the oil fill cap, and behind the left pole of the battery. what is this bolt for?, I don't want to just tighten it, it may be for something I don't understand. look at the pic, it is the really clean area (i wiped everything away to make sure this is what was leaking) right below the purple line I put in the picture pointing at it. can I just take this out and try to get it back in better? what are my options b4 I start monkeying with it. thanks - jim

[attachment=29832:xmission.jpg]

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
That is a pressure test port. If it is leaking take it out and use some thread sealant on it. Do not use tape but use a liquid/paste type. Tape may shred and leave pieces floating around in the fluid causing a valve to stick open.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (SHOZ123 @ Jun 18 2009, 10:31 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=733251
That is a pressure test port. If it is leaking take it out and use some thread sealant on it. Do not use tape but use a liquid/paste type. Tape may shred and leave pieces floating around in the fluid causing a valve to stick open.[/b]
thanks! i saw that on the tech manual but wasn't sure. great. they aren't tightened down very much. i can see about 4 threads to go. i tightened it down about 1/3rd of a rotation and the leak stopped. how far am i allowed to tighten it down? all the way? thanks for the reply. jim

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
If the leak stopped why tighten it down any more? Strip the threads and you are in need of a new valve body.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks alot guys. one more thing, kinda has to do with my question a little while ago. if it starts leaking again, and I take it out and put some thread sealent on it, how far should I tighten it down? I see about 4 threads of room left to tighten if need be. if it starts leaking again I want to put it back correctly; should I tighten it down all the way? or should I just put it in like halfway or so? thanks for bearing with me. Jim

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
54-70 Lb/In is the torque spec, it is a tapered thread so the plug gets wider the closer to the wrench end.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts