Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished installing my tranny cooler. I purchased it from BulkParts along with a MagneFine filter. I followed the advice from SHOZ123 and used a 1/2" sized filter along with 3/8" to 1/2" stainless couplers from McMaster-Carr.

I needed about 6" of extra 1/2" hose for the filter which was $1/ft at Napa.

MagneFine Filter for 1/2" lines $18
Tru-Cool LPD Stacked Plate 18,000 GVW 13,000 BTU cooler kit $48
Pair of Stainless 1/2" to 3/8" couplers $10 shipped
1" of 1/2" hose and four clamps $2

About $90 after shipping.

Here are the pics

Before

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Check here for help removing the front end. Installing Tranny Cooler

My car did not have the brackets in front of the radiator like I had seen in other posts. I think the body shop that repaired my front end a couple years ago did not reinstall them (I found lots of short cuts and shoddy work they left behind
) I used cable ties to secure the cooler. 4 on top and 4 on bottom, the bottom ones are black and not very visible in the pictures.

I removed the steel bumper as well. That made everything very accessible. Top up the fluid, check for leaks and it's good to go!

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
WOW. You completely disassembled the front end of your car just to install a trans fluid cooler? I don't know if that's honorable dedication to a job done right, or psycho anal freak. Looks good either way.

·
Premium Member
1,234 Posts
I'll see that Taurus and raise you one Sable:

This is the B&M #70264 cooler. I bought it from Summit. B&M told me the cooler works in any orientation (up, down or sideways) so I took the easy route and mounted it with the inlet/outlets down.

By the way, how did you get the foam bumper off the steel bumper to get at its mounting hardware? The foam part is riveted on. I was too lazy to find some long bolts to replace the rivets if I drilled them out, so I installed the cooler with the foam/steel bumper combo still in the way.

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by mikehawk@Apr 17 2004, 06:26 PM
WOW. You completely disassembled the front end of your car just to install a trans fluid cooler? I don't know if that's honorable dedication to a job done right, or psycho anal freak. Looks good either way.
hahaha... I'm a psycho anal freak to get the job done right.

Get this. The foam bumper was not even attached. The body shop that repair a minor fender bender a while back didn't bother to mount it. It was just sitting there. When I removed the bumper cover, the foam bumper just fell off. How F'ed up tis that?!?!? Not only that, but the the right side horn was not attached, it was just laying there. Covert Body Shop in Austin, TX is crap!

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i had taken the car apart for other reason... the cooler just happened to be "along for the ride"

But if you go through the trouble of removing the bumper cover, you may as well remove the bumper... onlu 4 bolts hold in on, and it's not that heavy... makes attaching a cooler much easier.

·
Registered
732 Posts
looks good my man!! great work ..... hey when we gonna go to hooters again???

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Cool, now come do mine. :) I'll bake ya some cookies. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts