Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked it up today 3/19/09, for my daughter (17), first car. Its in real nice shape. A few ticks that I can take care of nothing big that I can tell so far. The guy I got it from is the second owner and I've worked at the same job and eaten lunch with him almost every day for just under a year, he drove it to work almost every day. The first owner was his dad whom died just over a year ago.

He's been driving it since his dad died and has the "been sitting too much" bugs worked out of it. Why'd he want to get rid of it, picking up his new 2009 tomorrow.

I have always done pretty much everything on my cars and began working on them around 16, so I'm seasoned (I'm 50 and I feel at this point I've earned the right to say "seasoned").

What should I be looking out for? Are there any things that this type / year are notorious for? There are no codes, it starts up no problem, paint & wheels are nice, interior pretty clean, recently new; water pump, intake plenum gasket, heater core, evaporator, metal break lines (originals rusted) all fluids = eng oil, trans fluid, steering fluid, coolant. IT runs down the road fine = no clicks turning lock to lock, no ticks, rattles or bangs, when you apply the brakes at 30 - 40 the steering wheel shakes side to side & pedal pulses (rotors) , new tires front, excellent on rear (probably originals?) so all in all its a great first car for her and I got it for a song.

We had a 94 wagon that was a great car, bought with 37k and sold to my brother in-law with over 140k he drove it for 5 years before he passed on and my sister just couldn't keep it - don't know what she did with it. So we're big Taurus fans.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,303 Posts
Welcome to the club!
Now thats pretty low milage!!
That's a good, safe car for your daughter.
My 2 kids drive Tauri too (Sable's twin).
With the vulcan, the oil pan gaskets tend to need replacement at least once. :)

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
These are my suggestions for making it last (your friend may have already done these):
1. Change the plugs and wires
2. Switch it it synthetic oil and synthetic transmission fluid
3. Change the fuel filter and air filter
4. Add a transmission fluid cooler
5. Change out the coolant hoses and flush the coolant

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I changed the signature to correctly reflect its an "SE", when I was setting up the info I forgot what it was - thanks for pointing that out.

Now as far as what the engine is: I know it's a 3.0 but not sure of type Vulcan / Vortex / Yamaha ? ? ?

I guess someone will point that out if I can't figure it on my own soon.

My Daughter and I are going to go over the car this weekend and see what's what with it. ;)

·
Registered
7,373 Posts
If it didn't say "Duratec 24V" on the engine bay but 3.0 V6, it's a Vulcan. Since you have an SE, it's not the Yamaha engine (that's the 3.4L V8)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gentz - thanks for the link - definitely the Vulcan. I'm real pleased its a 3.0, the 94 Taurus wagon we had also had the 3.0 it was a great motor. I've heard and seen nightmares with the 3.8 in Cougar/T-Bird head gasket issues, do the 3.8s in the Sable/Taurus suffer the same problems? I assume they're the same engines so I'd think they do as well.

·
Registered
84 Posts
QUOTE (Joe Mc @ Mar 21 2009, 12:17 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=710848
Gentz - thanks for the link - definitely the Vulcan. I'm real pleased its a 3.0, the 94 Taurus wagon we had also had the 3.0 it was a great motor. I've heard and seen nightmares with the 3.8 in Cougar/T-Bird head gasket issues, do the 3.8s in the Sable/Taurus suffer the same problems? I assume they're the same engines so I'd think they do as well.[/b]
Yeah the 3.8 in every car it was in had headgasket issues..

BUT starting in 1996 the optional engine for the taurus/sable was a 3.0 DOHC 24v V6 it has 200 HP

Both engines are pretty good.

BTW check your coolant and make sure it's not brown, the 3rd gen 3.0 vulcans had cooling system issues, keep a close eye on your coolant and flush often.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Yes, it's the same engine as your last Taurus...

Sounds like you are going to be driving the Taurus more than your daughter...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The guy I bought it from has really done a great deal of upkeep on the car over the past year and has worked out most of the "been sitting too long cause dad never really drove that much" issues. As far as the coolant he said he had it changed when he first got it. Then the heater core started to leak, changed again, then the water pump went, changed again. He even had a new coolant tank put on it cause his mechanic told him it could be cleaned but he might as well put a new one on cause the labor was the same to R & R, clean it as it would be to install a new one and they weren't real expensive anyway.

He used Mobil 1 synthetic oil and a Mobil 1 oil filter, had the fuel system cleaned and so forth. It's really in pretty good shape. New front Uniroyal (I think) tires and the back ones are pretty good but they're not the same make as the front and are dry rotted on the side walls. So I'm changing them out to the same as the front. Not taking any chances with my Daughter's life on a set of tires.

As far as driving it more than her, its her car not mine and although I'll probably drive it once in a great while just to make sure its still safe and she's taking care of it, I like my truck - see signature - its got loads of power and torque B) = much more fun to drive IMHO. Not putting down the Taurus its a great car in its own right.

Thanks for replies.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
:worthlesswithoutpics[1]:
I wish my bull had that kind of low mileage on it :(

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
When I first got my Taurus a couple years ago now, my Dad practically gushed over it... I still have to beat him off with a rubber hose cause he always wants to borrow it!

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I would look into doing the front brake rotor mod to it, to the larger rotors used on the SHO, but you might have to put larger 16 inch rims on it to do that. Just put high quality rotors on it, and hopefully your teen isn't hard on brakes, and it should be fine for years to come.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts