Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found mention of this in the '01 owners manual and the wiring diagram for the RCU shows a pair of inputs marked "phone"

Supposedly when it functions something like the Mobilease used in the F-150's etc (less the bluetooth).

Has anyone ever tried to connect in something like a Motorola T605 car
kit into the RCU?

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Most people are trying to disconnect it because some component in the system fails, causing it to say "CALL" on the screen :lol:

IIRC, just grounding out a wire that comes in or out of the RCU mutes car audio, but allows cell phone audio to pass though.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
True...

Those old analog car phones won't work with the current cell phone signals.
But I'm just looking for a way to use the RCU to deliver the sound from the bluetooth car kit and mute the radio rather than having to mount a dedicated speaker and turn down the radio when I get a call.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Get one of those infomercial things that uses an FM frequency....

·
Registered
150 Posts
Necro-posting...

But I'm just looking for a way to use the RCU to deliver the sound from the bluetooth car kit and mute the radio rather than having to mount a dedicated speaker and turn down the radio when I get a call.
I'm looking into this as well. Did you find a workable solution? Something like this, perhaps?

In theory (as indicated by Bull Geek), you should just have to ground the appropriate signal line to switch to the phone inputs. This is fine for mono audio (phone calls), but I also wish to stream A2DP bluetooth audio (media player, etc).

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Unfortunately that Crutchfield part is for the Phase II connectors on the stereos that you find in say an F-150, Focus or Gen5 Taurus. They work reasonably well, I've got one on my wife's Freestar with a Motorola T605 hooked to it.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Just found this Bluetooth receiver kit. It appears to use the factory mute function and interrupts the RCU's output with its own when you take a phone call, but uses your auxiliary input (ie: AUX-FRDR) for music. This way:

1. Whatever you happen to be listening to gets muted when the phone rings
2. The bluetooth receiver uses its own amplifier to power your speakers while in the phone call
3. When wirelessly streaming music/audiobooks/Pandora/whatever from the source (smartphone, etc.), the audio feeds directly into your AUX input, utilizing the RCU amplifier

Could the speaker-level output from this device be run through a LOC and applied to the phone-audio line at the RCU???

I would still prefer a solution that puts the phone's audio into the RCU, rather than bypassing the factory amplifier. Also, can the "switches" in this device handle the output from a JBL/Mach RCU when in standby mode? (Rhetorical question, unless you have information...)

Edit: Found the Parrot MKi9100 that works the same way but handles up to 25W RMS per channel from the factory system. Also gives a steering-wheel-mounted remote control for the system. Both A2DP and hands-free audio can be routed through the pre-amp output if desired.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts