Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, great board - and the search has helped me with many of my car's quirks.

The latest has me stumped:

2001 Taurus Wagon SE 24v DOHC
160,000km / 100,000 mi
I get a check engine light that my obdII reader shows, but gives no code. I am able to erase the CEL code, but it will appear on the 2nd next engine warm up cycle.
Not between shifts, not doing anything funny - just pops on.

Curious if anyone else has had something similar happen and if it might be something to correct. If nothing else, I am not keen about driving around with the CEL on!

Thanks for any tips.

·
Super Moderator
8,863 Posts
What kind of scanner are you using? Some of the very low end ones will only read generic powertrain codes (P0xxx) and will not read manufacturer specific codes (P1xxx, P2xxx).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wish we had autozone here in Canada! In any case, here are the photos from the scanner - a buddy gave it to me to use - not sure if it's of high or low quality.
He had a manual that showed thousands of codes, but as mentioned, this just shows 'DTC - 01'.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,863 Posts
That scanner looks like about the cheapest one I have seen in a while. I am guessing it wont read manufactures specific codes.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I don't think that's "code 01", it's telling you that there is 01 (quantity) hard code set. Actually reading the code would be in subsequent menus. I don't think a CAN scanner is necessary since the CAN protocol wasn't really adopted until 07/08 model vehicles. Just buy or borrow a better OBD II scanner.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.