Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i did it a few days ago, i wasnt gonna post up until i drove it for a few days just to make sure i didnt have any bugs to work out. its fairly simple. wat i did was removed the voice coil and the cone from the speaker inside the gem
here is my GEM and its interior

i took a flat head screwdriver to pop of the top of the cover (little black circle TMX-06). with that same tool i plucked out the shiny speaker cone and pulled out the voice coil (copper wire)this is wat it should look like when you're done

i hope this post will help out others that are trying to do the same thing. took me about 10 minutes for the whole process and cost me nothin

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
Man, I love the chimes from my car, makes me feel all warm and safe inside when I hear it when I start my car or get inside my car. :)

Dunno how anyone could not like it :p

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Does it still make that "Star Trek" noise when the car is running and someone opens a door? I love that sound, sounds like an air lock closing!

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Considering that the speaker also makes that sound, sadly no.
I can't tell you how many times the attack of the bings has saved my battery. Sometimes I forget to hit the headlight switch.

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
I can't tell you how many times the attack of the bings has saved my battery. Sometimes I forget to hit the headlight switch.
[/b]
:werd:

Many times I am just in too much of a rush, that I forget, and of course, the chime beeps rapidly at me, as if it were saying, "HEY! LISTEN! GOTTA TURN THE LIGHTS OFF! OR I'LL DIE! Don't let me die!!! PLEASE!"

And then I flip it off, and it's like, "Hey thanks :wub: "

Then I proceed to shut the door and press the lock button on my keyfob, and life is great :)

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

Many times I am just in too much of a rush, that I forget, and of course, the chime beeps rapidly at me, as if it were saying, "HEY! LISTEN! GOTTA TURN THE LIGHTS OFF! OR I'LL DIE! Don't let me die!!! PLEASE!"

Then I proceed to shut the door and press the lock button on my keyfob, and life is great :)
[/b][/quote]

The STUPIDEST thing about Fords of the G3/G4 era is that Ford was smart enough to engineer into their cars a feature that double chirps the horn if you leave a door open when you hit the "lock" button on your key fob... Obviously they thought "if you are hitting that button you must be walking away from the car and will be leaving it unattended..."

Unfortunately, they made the bone head decision to ONLY have it do that double chirp if by accident you double press the lock button... Under normal circumstances, I like that the horn doesn't chirp if you hit the lock button once, I'm not an arrogant douche bag and don't need to announce to the whole world that I have keyless entry every time I lock my car... So why they did the same thing with the "door ajar" warning I have no idea! If I leave a door open and I hit that lock button once, I want the double chirp "WAIT WAIT, YOU LEFT A DOOR OPEN!!!" horn honk! I shouldn't have to push it twice to get forewarned! I'm the kind of person that only hits my lock button twice if I'm unsure of whether or not my doors are locked and don't push it twice the vast majoriy of the times...

This horrorfying situation happened to me this past summer.. I was going into work with a hand full of stuff and I guess I didn't push the door closed hard enough... Well lucky, it was one of those occaisions when I said to myself "I'm too preoccupied to look to see if my courtesy lights went off (which would indicate the doors locked on the first push of the fob) so I'll push it twice to get that nice reassuring horn chip"... Well, when I did that I totally wasn't expecting the "double" chirp and had to pause and think about it for a minute... When I tried it again it did the same thing so I went back to the car cause I knew something was wrong and I saw that the door wasn't closed properly... I'm not a religious man, but someone must have been smiling on me that day :p

Btw, that is so many wires going in and out of that GEM, I'd be way too afraid to yank it out!

·
Registered
141 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

[/b][/quote]

The STUPIDEST thing about Fords of the G3/G4 era is that Ford was smart enough to engineer into their cars a feature that double chirps the horn if you leave a door open when you hit the "lock" button on your key fob... Obviously they thought "if you are hitting that button you must be walking away from the car and will be leaving it unattended..."

Unfortunately, they made the bone head decision to ONLY have it do that double chirp if by accident you double press the lock button... Under normal circumstances, I like that the horn doesn't chirp if you hit the lock button once, I'm not an arrogant douche bag and don't need to announce to the whole world that I have keyless entry every time I lock my car... So why they did the same thing with the "door ajar" warning I have no idea! If I leave a door open and I hit that lock button once, I want the double chirp "WAIT WAIT, YOU LEFT A DOOR OPEN!!!" horn honk! I shouldn't have to push it twice to get forewarned! I'm the kind of person that only hits my lock button twice if I'm unsure of whether or not my doors are locked and don't push it twice the vast majoriy of the times...

This horrorfying situation happened to me this past summer.. I was going into work with a hand full of stuff and I guess I didn't push the door closed hard enough... Well lucky, it was one of those occaisions when I said to myself "I'm too preoccupied to look to see if my courtesy lights went off (which would indicate the doors locked on the first push of the fob) so I'll push it twice to get that nice reassuring horn chip"... Well, when I did that I totally wasn't expecting the "double" chirp and had to pause and think about it for a minute... When I tried it again it did the same thing so I went back to the car cause I knew something was wrong and I saw that the door wasn't closed properly... I'm not a religious man, but someone must have been smiling on me that day :p

Btw, that is so many wires going in and out of that GEM, I'd be way too afraid to yank it out!
[/b][/quote]

Lol dont worry about how many wires. Its a connector that will put them all back in the right place. Just few screws holding it on, take those out, and unplug the connector, and your good to go.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
I never knew about that double-chirp when the door is open thing...

Mine double chirps when I double-lock it a lot, but I figured it was just because my key-fob sensor is screwed up and a lot of the time it doesn't get the memo when I push the buttons.

Is this on all G3's, or just the late G3's?

And what is the star-trek air lock sound????

·
Premium Member
7,303 Posts
I'd just like to change the chime in my 04 to sound like my 03 does.
The 04 chime is different and quite annoying to me. :angry:

I'm sure those chimes don't unplug. :(
Do they?? :dunno:

·
Registered
232 Posts
You're lucky it is designed that way...... In most GM vehicles the chime comes through the stereo speakers which would be a little more difficult to kill while keeping your tunes.

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
In my '90 I'm not sure if a PO messed with it or not, but the chime is really quiet, almost unnoticeable. I use the autolamp for normal headlight usage, but with fog or rain I've ended up leaving the lights on for hours at a time a couple of times. Luckily through combination of cheap low wattage lights and a good battery it still starts up! :lol2:

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
I didn't like the chime at first.

But now it comes in quite handy.

When I hear the chime and I'm driving I know one of the doors is about ready to pop open.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for the complete explanation of how to disable the beeper.....
Just one question: Where will I find the GEM. I think I read that it was located near the
interior fuse box...... thanks

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
QUOTE (markwell99 @ Jul 27 2009, 12:56 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=742348
Just one question: Where will I find the GEM. I think I read that it was located near the
interior fuse box...... thanks[/b]
2004+ models have the buzzer embedded into the instrument cluster. Follow the dash disassembly instructions under the topic finder. Take out your cluster, remove the clear plastic face, and the black bezel. You'll see the buzzer there. That is not the GEM however.

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
QUOTE (Bull Geek @ Jul 27 2009, 01:47 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=742360
QUOTE (markwell99 @ Jul 27 2009, 12:56 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=742348
interior fuse box...... thanks[/b]
2004+ models have the buzzer embedded into the instrument cluster. Follow the dash disassembly instructions under the topic finder. Take out your cluster, remove the clear plastic face, and the black bezel. You'll see the buzzer there. That is not the GEM however.
[/b][/quote]

Do you think that the solder points would still be in the GEM. It is conceivable that one could
  • If the solder points exist still in the GEM.
  • Kill the buzzer/beeper in the cluster.
  • snag a pizo buzzer from a < or = '03 G4 and solder it to the board of the GEM.
  • Or it could be the pizo it self is of a different frequency, and replacing the stock pizo in the Cluster with that of a Gen 4.0 ( < = '03 ) would all hat needs to be acomplished and the GEM can be left alone
conceivably

1 - 19 of 19 Posts