Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to what I have been told using the A/C and driving the vehicle hard lowers fuel economy. Is there any add on upgrades that will improve the HP output and fuel economy of this engine at a reasonable cost?
Bob S.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Hey last post - WTF!??? wrong forum. smoke another one mr420

Just about everything you can do will give minimal return. Underdrive pulley, performance ignition, tuning, exhaust ypipe and custom pipe, roller rockers. I know at some point I saw a stroker kit for it, whether or not that's still available, oh along with the camshaft, I'm not sure. Nor do have I heard of anyone using them, so don't know if it does anything, the website I saw it on didn't give any specs for them either. And don't forget there's always the kandn air filter...

So as far as reasonable cost goes, I have a kandn air filter, 45 bucks and clean the maf every oil change. Underdrive pulley I got for cheap at shosource before the cost went upupand away. 8.2mm thundervolt wires were I think 60 bucks. Normal maintenance and higher tire pressure (38fr 35rr) gets me under 20mpg driving around Boston and the suburbs.

So unless you're obsessed with putting parts that are unnecessarily better than stock, you're better off keeping up with maintenance, keep the car clean inside and out, tire pressure, driving like grandpa, and only use the a/c on the highway over 55 (windows up makes the car more aerodynamic at higher speeds while lower speeds the a/c will cause more of a drag-fact, not my opinion).

oooo quick response mods or whoever does that stuff. disregard first line.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Yes there are things you can do to bring up performance but none of them are free. You're options are a crank UDP, PCM tuning, roller rockers, and exhaust. As for AC lowering economy, if your engine is in decent shape you shouldn't notice too much of a drop. As for driving hard's effect on economy, don't drive so hard. It's a Taurus for Pete's sake. Do a search for Vulcan improvement parts.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
QUOTE (shearerrl @ May 27 2010, 07:43 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=807305
According to what I have been told using the A/C and driving the vehicle hard lowers fuel economy. Is there any add on upgrades that will improve the HP output and fuel economy of this engine at a reasonable cost?
Bob S.[/b]
The best thing you can do is scheduled maint. Running the a/c in a Vulcan engine Taurus feels like your pulling a trailer. That is why I don't run it unless I have to, even though I have the newer 153hp version of the Vulcan engine. I also lose about 2-3 mpg when I run the a/c.

·
Registered
833 Posts
QUOTE (austex04 @ May 27 2010, 09:31 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=807350
QUOTE (shearerrl @ May 27 2010, 07:43 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=807305
Bob S.[/b]
The best thing you can do is scheduled maint. Running the a/c in a Vulcan engine Taurus feels like your pulling a trailer. That is why I don't run it unless I have to, even though I have the newer 153hp version of the Vulcan engine. I also lose about 2-3 mpg when I run the a/c.
[/b][/quote]

153?? I have the same engine as you, and I dyno'd it in '06. 127hp/124ft lbs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts