Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to add more power in some way to my 3.0 Vulcan. Price would have to be under 2500.

Can it handle forced induction? If so how much?

Also would a chip tune work in any way to increase power?

IMG_20140718_200524.jpg

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So basically im screwed for any kind of power increase?

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
The best way to add power would be to sell the car and then get one with a Duratec engine. Probably under $500-$1000 depending on the deal you find and if you get lucky, maybe nothing.
I would have to agree. I went with the Vulcans for the open engine bay and nice mileage but if I wanted more power I would have shopped for a tec.

·
Premium Member
1,565 Posts
I would not suggest boosting a stock Vulcan engine. It would handle low low boost, maybe 6 psi max. But that is no fun. *LOL*. Morana Racing's forged stroker kit would get the engine set to handle more boost, but you would need to do some more things like tougher mounts, transmission cooler, etc. For your budget you can do the basics, higher flowing intake, exhaust, third cat delete, Morana Racing roller rockers, and the Jet chip/module (but you will need to use premium gas as it does advance the timing a little).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im 18 years old, the car was given to me by my great grandparents. It is currently 14 years old and has ONLY 46k miles. I need to keep the car for something reliable to go to college and back, as well as it being super low mileage. But I am a car freak. Ive upgraded the car fully aesthetically, but now want more power. So selling and buying another isnt really an option.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What intake would you suggest for the car? Also i was planning on having the third cat deleted, resonator removed, and split to a dual flowmaster 40 exhaust anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,565 Posts
The car comes standard with a cold air intake, so upgrade to a K&N filter. The problem in getting more power is air flow. It is only 12 valve. You can pick up a couple of hp here and there, but the air flow is still limited. Port the upper and lower intake manifold to improve the flow slightly.

·
Registered
341 Posts
breezeman120 said:
Im 18 years old, the car was given to me by my great grandparents. It is currently 14 years old and has ONLY 46k miles. I need to keep the car for something reliable to go to college and back, as well as it being super low mileage. But I am a car freak. Ive upgraded the car fully aesthetically, but now want more power. So selling and buying another isnt really an option.
I'm an old fart, and no fun either then... and you probably do not want to hear this ...but all considered then ... I would not try and modify it for power.

Keep it all stock, and that will keep it reliable and very serviceable - while you need it to go back and forth to school.

Also - if you make modifications - and that causes emissions troubles or codes - you may have trouble trying to pass emissions and re registering it. [ ya ...headaches ]

If it's your daily driver - that you will need to rely on - then don't modify it too much / or at all ...

Also - if it is a gift ... and you have trouble with the car, that may get you in warm water with the giftee .

Drive her and keep her nice. Maintain her well.

·
Registered
232 Posts
^+1.
If that car has sat most of its life,as mine had it would be a smart move to save that money on go faster parts and put it into keeping the vehicle reliable. Flush the coolant, drop the trans pan and change the filter as well as the fuel filter. General tune-up items are the best thing you can do for it.

To be honest I wanted mine to be faster when I first got it too, but reliability is paramount especially if you need it to get to school and work as a primary vehicle.

If you are dead set on doing a performance addition I would suggest a SHOsource UDP, I run one and like it, but make sure to do a big 3 upgrade as your alternator will not put out as many amps at idle.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I'm an old fart, and no fun either then... and you probably do not want to hear this ...but all considered then ... I would not try and modify it for power.

Keep it all stock, and that will keep it reliable and very serviceable - while you need it to go back and forth to school.

Also - if you make modifications - and that causes emissions troubles or codes - you may have trouble trying to pass emissions and re registering it. [ ya ...headaches ]

If it's your daily driver - that you will need to rely on - then don't modify it too much / or at all ...

Also - if it is a gift ... and you have trouble with the car, that may get you in warm water with the giftee .

Drive her and keep her nice. Maintain her well.
Agree, keep this car stock for a good daily driver and work towards a more fun car if that your desire.

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
Another vote for Keep It Stock!!!!

Want power speed? Get a Mustang GT.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Keep it for what it is, a nice clean good looking dependable vehicle. Unless you have mega-denaros to blow and you're Tom Morana maybe you can squeek a few ponies out of it.
It's kind of like filling out the exhaust port on a Briggs n Stratton lawn mower...:D

It's a nice looking vehicle, enjoy it.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I agree with others, without investing major dollars there's not much gains for bolt-on upgrades to that engine. Before you spend money on better intake or exhaust just realize that the rest of the engine is not designed to take advantage of it. Removing the third cat and resonator with open mufflers will make it louder which is fine if that's what you want but won't add any noticeable power gains. That said, I'd like to see pics of what you've done to make it your own sweet ride! :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts