Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Performance Tires/Rims

3K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  Dubeckyj 
#1 ·
Hey all. I'm shopping for some new shoes. I'm about 90% decided on Team Dynamics PR1.2 in a high-power silver. Apparently Volk's TE37 rim is ~1lbs lighter in a 17", but I don't think the 6 spoke would look right on a G3's flabby curves. Runners up were MSR style 138, Eagle Alloys 192, and Sport Edition F7's (at a whopping 20 lbs!).

For tires, I've read everywhere that Michelin Pilot Sport PS2's are the lightest around. They're being discontinued now, offering the Pilot Super Sports. On tirerack.com, Super Sports are ~1lbs heavier per tire in a given size, and they're brutal pricy. I can still get a hold of some PS2's, for $200 ea, but it's an "as supplies last" deal. A contender I stumbled across was Continental Extreme Contact DW, where a 225/45R17 tire is 20lbs, looks pretty dirty, and costs only $138 ea. Are there any other hidden gems that are lighter that aren't junk rubber? (Canadian members example: Motomaster AW = light but junk).

My last question is just your opinion on size. I want 17" to clear a big brake kit. My decided options are a 225/45 @ 3% smaller, 235/45 @ 1.5% smaller, or a 245/45 @ 0.24% smaller.

To put things into perspective: I'm looking for the least amount of rotating mass to off-set the added weight of bigger brakes. Also, a smaller tire diameter will pick up a little more acceleration with the gear ratio effect.
I'm not cutting my 225/55ZR16 Falkens loose, so I really don't think I can justify the added weight and rolling resistance of a 245/45, though they're similar in price to a 225/45.

Does shonutperformance.com still sell things, or will I need to source the Team Dynamics from somewhere else?

See less See more
#3 ·
13" is still pretty big, and while weight savings as far out as the tire will be more prominent than weight savings at 13", I'd like it to weigh as little as possible.

Also, solid rotors absorb/dissipate heat much more readily. But seeing as I'll track this car significantly less than I'll be driving to work, I'm already leaning towards drilled/slotted.

#4 ·
SHONut still sells stuff.

I have been running Kumho ASX tires which are good for the street and okay for the track but I need more. After one session at Willow Springs the tires looked like the surface of the moon.

What are your pans for the tires? mostly street? Some track? Dedicated track?

if you plan to do any track, bigger brakes are a must have and I would go for the 13" brakes. You will appreciate it after your first high speed stop. Also bigger brakes good for safety on the street.

#5 ·
Who else would I buy bigger brakes from?

And FYI, an Ecsta ASX weighs 27lbs in a 245/45R17, where a Conti DW weighs 24. If you need better tires for the track, pick up a set of Hoosier R6's. 245/45R17 @ 22lbs! :p

My tires will be mostly street, with some autoX and as much drag as my tranny will support (either sanctioned strip or quiet set of street lights).

If SHONut is still a vendor, why don't we really know about that site?

#7 ·
If you are concerned about rotor weight like I was, you can get some custom 2 piece rotors. My 12.5" custom wilwood rotors weigh 17 lbs 1 pound more than the stock 10.2" rotors.

Bob
IIRC, the Baer 2-piece rotors on SHOsource are ~17lbs for a 13".

BUT! This thread is about wheels. So far I'm at TD rims with 225/45R17 Conti Extreme Contact DW tires. Any other suggestions?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.