Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Weather it's worth it or not will always be someone elses opinion. Compared to other things you could buy for the same price, no it's not worth it. But it will do something. Even if it's a fraction of a percent. If you want it, get it. get the chrome one though, they do look better.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
If you get a 80mm MAF you need to change your throttle body. By getting the 69mm you are good to go.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
What's all this talk about getting a larger TB for the Duratec. If anyone can tell me where to get one of these TB, that would be very helpful.
i know of the member boring out his TB but he hasn't finished them yet.
If you get a 80mm MAF you don't "need" to do or get anything to make up for the larger MAf. Of course it would be nice or helpful.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Well, check on eBay now ... someone its selling a 69mm TB.

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Originally posted by D Man@Sep 4 2004, 09:38 PM

If you get a 80mm MAF you don't "need" to do or get anything to make up for the larger MAf.
Not all true. It depends on which MAF you get. With some MAF's, your car won't run properly without a chip telling the computer you've added a larger MAF. You may even lose power if this is so. Some MAF's have already compensated for this by using a different size inlet tube so the right amount of air gets to the sensor. It all depends.

You are right that you don't need to change the throttle body with a MAF change though.

Get a larger TB or something that'll help the flow better than a MAF in a N/A car
Now the Yamaha is a different engine, but I'd guess the same concepts apply to both it and the Duratec. On SHOForum, most everyone (okay, not everyone, but most people with mods) have an upgraded MAF, yet not many have the 69mm TB. According to Yamaha V6, and I'm going to take his word on it, the throttle body upgrade is not worth the money, and it's only $119 in the first place. Cheap in the SHO mod world. Keep in mind that he has done just about every mod conceivable to his Super SHO, including FI. If he has an upgraded MAF, and not a bored TB, I think I'll stick with the MAF as being my choice of the two.

Oh and D-Man, I don't know if the 'tec TB is the same as the SHOs, but if they are, there is a group buy going on at SHOForum right now, if it hasn't ended yet.

-Rob

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
A larger MAF REQURIES a chip or a new program. A larger TB does not necessarily make it necessary for a special program.

·
Registered
175 Posts
The 75mm pro-flow MAF i got from draxas didn't need a chip, they're calibrated to a specific injector size.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Dagamemnon, did you notice a difference with the 75mm MAF in your car? Which car do you have?

Frank

·
Registered
175 Posts
Originally posted by sable97@Sep 5 2004, 01:30 AM
Dagamemnon, did you notice a difference with the 75mm MAF in your car? Which car do you have?

Frank
I thought i felt an increase in the the high end, but no #s to prove it. The inside is a lot less obstructed than the stock maf. The car WAS a 99 duratec with stock injectors (R.I.P.), i now have an 01 and it uses a 6 wire maf so i can't use it. :(

If anyone wants it, PM me. (shameless plug, sorry)

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
PM sent

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
It's hard to say if it's a "waste" of money but, their are better things you can buy that are better for the buck. The MAF is roughly $200 and it may get you 3-5 hp on the dyno. Not enoguh to feel on the "butt-dyno" but the numbers will be their. I got one of the Proflow 75mm "bullet" style ones. With the Proflow, their is no need to upgrade the ECU to compensate for the larger MAf. But I think ever other company that sell MAFs have to have the ECU upgraded.

Here is the chrome 75mm MAF I got for my Duratec and to me, it was worth the $$

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Originally posted by Kermit@Sep 5 2004, 12:03 AM
A larger MAF REQURIES a chip or a new program. A larger TB does not necessarily make it necessary for a special program.
Not true. Some MAF's, as I already stated, come with a larger sampling tube making a chip unnecessary. But you are correct on the TB. Nothing is needed for a larger TB.

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Originally posted by LoadedLX@Sep 5 2004, 07:22 AM
so the consensus is "don't waste the money"? i didn't wanna blow a lot of money on something i won't "feel".

thanks guys.
Correct.....not worth it.

The bigger waste than a bigger MAF is going to a bigger TB.

I can give personal experience, as well as that of many other SHO folks (whose motors would seem to need bigger parts) as to why it doesn't matter.

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Originally posted by D Man@Sep 5 2004, 09:02 AM
It's hard to say if it's a "waste" of money but, their are better things you can buy that are better for the buck. The MAF is roughly $200 and it may get you 3-5 hp on the dyno. Not enoguh to feel on the "butt-dyno" but the numbers will be their. I got one of the Proflow 75mm "bullet" style ones. With the Proflow, their is no need to upgrade the ECU to compensate for the larger MAf. But I think ever other company that sell MAFs have to have the ECU upgraded.

Here is the chrome 75mm MAF I got for my Duratec and to me, it was worth the $$
Yes, the 75mm Pro Flow MAF is a very good bolt-on without messing with a chip.

Overall, the issue isn't the larger diameter, but the metering capabilities. SHO folks have had great luck with both the 75mm Bullet and the 77mm MAF from Pro Flow, neither of which need a chip. Plus, the 75mm is a LOT cheaper and can use the stock airbox, which flows MORE than enough air.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts