Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my car was just in an accident not to long ago (not my fault haha.) but once it comes back from the shop I will be doing some work to it, for example HID upgrade with projectors. What I am looking for from you, is letting me know ways to help increase my engine performance. As in, what types of things can I do to allow it to run, and perform smoothly and rather quickly.

P.S. My car has DOHC :D

THANKS!!!

·
Registered
670 Posts
Fabricate some custom headers and custom exhaust with high flow cat and mufflers.

Dry NOS would be your best bet for performance as there are few other options for serious performance.

You can advance your ignition timing in conjunction with 91/93 octane fuel until you get on the verge of knocking then retard a degree.

K&N Air Filter is a sure way to get better throttle response, but air intakes won't help at all, don't modify the stock air box.

Some say the better plugs/wires add performance, like E3 IR plugs.

Synthetic oil will free up a horse or two.

If you are really serious about performance you can ditch your A/C compressor shed some weight from the car any way you can, carpet, back seats etc. Lighter wheels and tires won't hurt.

Custom pulley/belt setup with overdrive pulleys maybe if you can fabricate?

In all seriousness any of that is possible but if you want serious gains i suggest NOS. Everything i mentioned is worth a few horse per at best.

Advancing the timing with higher octane fuel is an easy horse gain for cheap if you can pay for the 93 fuel.

I suppose if you are really crazy and have a few bucks and the expertise you could fabricate a custom belt driven supercharger setup with about 5-6 PSI boost on the stock internals.

·
Super Moderator
8,591 Posts
There are virtually no off the shelf performance parts for the Duratec other than a SCT Xcal programmer (and someone who knows how to tunewith it like SHOZ123) and UDPs. Anything else is going to be a custom fab job. Thats fine if you are an expert welder and fabricator, but will cost $$$$$$$$$$$$$ if you have anyone else do it for you.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
We have the UDP for the Duratec: SHO Source Duratec Under Drive Pulley

If you have the 96-99 Year we can port the intake and these bored out LIMS might work or we can bore a set for you: Contour Big Bore LIM

We also have the Magnaflow y-pipe: SHO Source

Some Taylor wires and an MSD coil would help too: Engine- Ignition - SHO Source

An SCT tuner would also help for tuning. I would see SHOZ123 for that.

You really think that accel coilpack would be any better performance wise than a new motorcraft part?

I will have to get one of them if i ever replace my pack.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
loudsho, is the porting and polishing the same cost as for the SHO, and what are the estimates on the power gains?
I think it would be cheaper and the gains would be around 5-10hp. It would help support a larger TB as well.

The coil packs may help but I do not have any dyno information.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
No offense loudsho92, but the Magnaflow y-pipe you sell has ordinary 400 cpi ceramic catalyst, so it has no performance benefits over the stock cat unless the stock cat is plugged. Real high flow cats are few and far between. Expect to pay at least $200 ea. for good universal type high flow cats. If it costs less than that, they are poorly made junk or are not really high flow.

The Accel coil pack might deliver more spark energy, but they are poorly made, waste of money IMHO. If you are going to run a performance coil, go for the MSD instead. Even so, they won't help much unless you are running either high compression or forced induction, which makes it harder to produce as good a spark. Basically a high performance ignition doesn't really produce power, but it can prevent you from loosing power due to weak spark under hard conditions.

Doing ports is a good idea, I would go for that. Same for the UDP. The tuner however is gonna be the biggest bang for the buck, on a Duratec you could see as much as 30hp to the wheels. And it can optimize your other mods.

Best plugs are gonna be Autolite XP Iridium or NGK Iridium. Don't waste time or money on any other brands. An AFE air filter will help. I would steer clear of the K&N because they don't filter that well, they can contribute to MAF problems (which reduces performance) and they are overpriced. AFE doesn't have a drop in filter, but you could use a round cone filter if you make a proper cold air intake. Better mufflers are a good idea. I wouldn't mess with the stock cats unless you improve the engines airflow

I will be doing much of this stuff on my own ride, eventually, and I will be documenting any power gains that might result from it.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No offense loudsho92, but the Magnaflow y-pipe you sell has ordinary 400 cpi ceramic catalyst, so it has no performance benefits over the stock cat unless the stock cat is plugged. Real high flow cats are few and far between. Expect to pay at least $200 ea. for good universal type high flow cats. If it costs less than that, they are poorly made junk or are not really high flow.

The Accel coil pack might deliver more spark energy, but they are poorly made, waste of money IMHO. If you are going to run a performance coil, go for the MSD instead. Even so, they won't help much unless you are running either high compression or forced induction, which makes it harder to produce as good a spark. Basically a high performance ignition doesn't really produce power, but it can prevent you from loosing power due to weak spark under hard conditions.

Doing ports is a good idea, I would go for that. Same for the UDP. The tuner however is gonna be the biggest bang for the buck, on a Duratec you could see as much as 30hp to the wheels. And it can optimize your other mods.

Best plugs are gonna be Autolite XP Iridium or NGK Iridium. Don't waste time or money on any other brands. An AFE air filter will help. I would steer clear of the K&N because they don't filter that well, they can contribute to MAF problems (which reduces performance) and they are overpriced. AFE doesn't have a drop in filter, but you could use a round cone filter if you make a proper cold air intake. Better mufflers are a good idea. I wouldn't mess with the stock cats unless you improve the engines airflow

I will be doing much of this stuff on my own ride, eventually, and I will be documenting any power gains that might result from it.
What is this tuner, and why does it magically give you 30hps?? Someone care to explain?

·
Registered
670 Posts
Tuning systems unlock power that is already there just hidden.

They can alter fuel, spark timings and adjust them to get the most power out of the engine. I would be shocked to see that there is another 30 HP in the Duratec with just the tuner but its possible.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tuning systems unlock power that is already there just hidden.

They can alter fuel, spark timings and adjust them to get the most power out of the engine. I would be shocked to see that there is another 30 HP in the Duratec with just the tuner but its possible.
So then when a car is "tuned", that just means telling the computer how to run differently correct? Basically just reflashing the computer telling it how to perform, which later can be flashed back in order to pass the emissions?

Also, what tool would be specifically used for this?

·
Registered
222 Posts
SCT XCal 3. Talk to member Shoz123.

Loudsho, can you get me an estimate for getting the Duratec Intake manifold ported/polished?

·
Registered
5,820 Posts

I have not had a problem with my K&N and you only have problems if you do not clean it right.

I HIGHLY doubt you will see 30hp.

SCT XCal 3. Talk to member Shoz123.

Loudsho, can you get me an estimate for getting the Duratec Intake manifold ported/polished?
What year and where will it be shipped too?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts