Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im looking to buy a performance chip for my 96 sable (3.0 vulcan) to maximize the modifications i already have.
Here is a list of what i've done:

CAI -Ramair
straight exhaust. (no cats)
torque strap, via DOGBone off of a later taurus.

i know the tire and wheel size makes a difference.
i have 225/45/17's

not realy big mods' but i know a chip can help boost my hp and torque.
would a chip be worth the money for my setup??
which chip should i get??

keep in mind. i want ALL OUT POWER + the stock config.

thnks.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
if you are planning in putting a chip to your vulcan then I did recommend you to get the one from Alberto, which you can pm him for more info or go to his web site at American Motorsport. Many people around have this chip installed and it really makes your car different. All I can say his chip are worth the buck.

Frank

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
im curious as to how much of a difference the shifting will be with the chip.
will the car burn out with the chip?
just curious... to me the 300$ for the chip is alot of money. so i want to be sure its worth it.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Well his chip its very very good for that price. I think it has 3 programs or something like that for 87, 91, 93 octane thing. This chip really increase your mileage and make it better, will make your transmission shift smoother and faster. I heard from someone here they got it and they chirping the tires in 2nd & 3rd gear I think. It has a lot of features for our cars. Many people in here have this chip and all I've hearing from them great improvement in their cars and plus Alberto its a very nice guy to deal with. Actually I'll be getting this chip very very soon :lol2:. In case you have questions just pm Alberto and he will be very glad to answer them for you. I have had seen a few chips for other cars and trust me this one its very worth the buck. I really recommend getting one.

Frank.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I may be new here but I was reading and saw this so I had to put my .02 in. A chip when burned for just your ECM code and none of your mods is not worth spending $300 on. AT BEST it will make the car shift better and probably add a few whp only because of increased timing and fuel map changes for WOT. The claims by superchip/diablo/sct/autologic etc of 10% are just BS. My advice to you would be do all your mods. Then when you are done take the car to a dyno, put it on the rollers and let a tuner actually TUNE your car. On a NA application, it's still probably not worth doing, but you will at least see the most whp for your $. On my Mustang a dynotune added a giant 1rwhp to my peak hp BUT it did increase my average rwhp quite a bit.

Cliff Notes: Chips are a waste unless you NEED one......

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Probably for you its a waste of time and money ... but actually for others people and who want to juice up their Taurus/Sable its not. Therefore, its very uncommon seeing a Taurus with a chip in it and beating some ass crap Hondas and ricers, or probably beating your Mustang. I respect your opinion but ... its worth the buck putting a chip in a Taurus.

Frank

·
Registered
20 Posts
Originally posted by sable97@Aug 30 2004, 11:33 PM
Probably for you its a waste of time and money ... but actually for others people and who want to juice up their Taurus/Sable its not. Therefore, its very uncommon seeing a Taurus with a chip in it and beating some ass crap Hondas and ricers, or probably beating your Mustang. I respect your opinion but ... its worth the buck putting a chip in a Taurus.

Frank
Any mod you do should be looked at as cost/whp. It's much easier to make hp on my car than on a Taurus I'm sure, but $300/3-5 whp or $100/hp is NOT worth the trouble IMO.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Well of course there are more stuff for any type of Mustang. The Mustang its a sport car and by looking at the Taurus its not. Therefore thats why there aren't enough performance stuff for them. I agree its not worth wasting $300 or up for just adding a few horsepower. Some people here don't give a **** wasting that amount of money just to add 3-5hp. I probably don't know about car that much but I am pretty sure even the people who have cars hitting 9 sec they pay a few extra bucks just to add at least a few ponies. Although, those crap Hondas who put turbo in their car for $3000 or probably a little less just to add lets say 20hp. I consider a big waste of money. But seeing a turbocharged or supercharged Taurus/Sable then thats worth the buck because these cars are not usual to race. Therefore, I agree with you in one way and not in other point of view.

Frank

·
Registered
20 Posts
Originally posted by sable97@Aug 30 2004, 11:49 PM
Well of course there are more stuff for any type of Mustang. The Mustang its a sport car and by looking at the Taurus its not. Therefore thats why there aren't enough performance stuff for them. I agree its not worth wasting $300 or up for just adding a few horsepower. Some people here don't give a **** wasting that amount of money just to add 3-5hp. I probably don't know about car that much but I am pretty sure even the people who have cars hitting 9 sec they pay a few extra bucks just to add at least a few ponies. Although, those crap Hondas who put turbo in their car for $3000 or probably a little less just to add lets say 20hp. I consider a big waste of money. But seeing a turbocharged or supercharged Taurus/Sable then thats worth the buck because these cars are not usual to race. Therefore, I agree with you in one way and not in other point of view.

Frank
To me it's all about the $. If a K&N is $40 and nets 2whp that's a hell of a lot better deal than 3-5 for 8x as much $. Oh and I know most people on here would never do this, but a small shot of N2O is the absolute best bang for the $. I would assume a 50-100 shot of something like NX (wet kit) would be in the $1000 range with all the needed safety pieces and if it puts down a solid 50-100 at the wheels that is some very good bang for the $. I would think a 50-75 shot would be the most you could run safely on the car, where I could push it to about 150 with a couple upgrades to my fuel system. Still that would be a GIANT leap forward and it would still be safe.

Making hp with bolt ons is the hard way, a power adder will ALWAYS be the easier way. I went NA because I like a challenge, but if I owned a Taurus, I would spray it and do some basic mods while adding things like a trans cooler to protect the car. But I'm a gearhead and live for this sh!t :D

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
Originally posted by bamf70@Aug 30 2004, 07:39 PM
I may be new here but I was reading and saw this so I had to put my .02 in. A chip when burned for just your ECM code and none of your mods is not worth spending $300 on. AT BEST it will make the car shift better and probably add a few whp only because of increased timing and fuel map changes for WOT. The claims by superchip/diablo/sct/autologic etc of 10% are just BS. My advice to you would be do all your mods. Then when you are done take the car to a dyno, put it on the rollers and let a tuner actually TUNE your car. On a NA application, it's still probably not worth doing, but you will at least see the most whp for your $. On my Mustang a dynotune added a giant 1rwhp to my peak hp BUT it did increase my average rwhp quite a bit.

Spoken by someone who DOESN'T have a chip.

It's DEFINATELY worth it. Ask anyone (myself included) who purchased an AMS chip and they will state that it's the best mod they ever bought. End of story.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Originally posted by silvapain+Aug 30 2004, 11:00 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (silvapain @ Aug 30 2004, 11:00 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-bamf70@Aug 30 2004, 07:39 PM
I may be new here but I was reading and saw this so I had to put my .02 in.  A chip when burned for just your ECM code and none of your mods is not worth spending $300 on.  AT BEST it will make the car shift better and probably add a few whp only because of increased timing and fuel map changes for WOT.  The claims by superchip/diablo/sct/autologic etc of 10% are just BS.  My advice to you would be do all your mods.  Then when you are done take the car to a dyno, put it on the rollers and let a tuner actually TUNE your car.  On a NA application, it's still probably not worth doing, but you will at least see the most whp for your $.  On my Mustang a dynotune added a giant 1rwhp to my peak hp BUT it did increase my average rwhp quite a bit.

It's DEFINATELY worth it. Ask anyone (myself included) who purchased an AMS chip and they will state that it's the best mod they ever bought. End of story. [/b][/quote]
It's not only to add a few extra ponies and torque but also changes shift points which are pretty lazy on some cars. It also removes speed limiters and the like.... to the customer's preference. So... it is worth the expense.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Well ... thats true, but it takes balls you put nitrous in a Taurus or any other type of car not very common to see in the racing scenes. Actually putting nitrous in a Taurus you will have to spend some buck by making it safe for the car and you, such as weak tranny or something else. In my opinion I did stick with the AMS chip once I mod my car for a while.

Frank

·
Registered
20 Posts
Originally posted by silvapain+Aug 31 2004, 12:00 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (silvapain @ Aug 31 2004, 12:00 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-bamf70@Aug 30 2004, 07:39 PM
I may be new here but I was reading and saw this so I had to put my .02 in.  A chip when burned for just your ECM code and none of your mods is not worth spending $300 on.  AT BEST it will make the car shift better and probably add a few whp only because of increased timing and fuel map changes for WOT.  The claims by superchip/diablo/sct/autologic etc of 10% are just BS.  My advice to you would be do all your mods.  Then when you are done take the car to a dyno, put it on the rollers and let a tuner actually TUNE your car.  On a NA application, it's still probably not worth doing, but you will at least see the most whp for your $.  On my Mustang a dynotune added a giant 1rwhp to my peak hp BUT it did increase my average rwhp quite a bit.

It's DEFINATELY worth it. Ask anyone (myself included) who purchased an AMS chip and they will state that it's the best mod they ever bought. End of story.[/b][/quote]
:rolleyes:

Yea I DO have a chip in my car. Of course as I stated mine is not a Taurus :D

I know all about what a chip can do. Shift points, timing advance, fuel tables remapped, increase press in the trans etc. Please don't act like you know more about a ANY chip/hand held programmer than I do because I would beg to differ.

To fix your shift points you really do need a chip, there is no other way with an auto. Is the small amount of rwhp you get and shift point correction worth $300 to you? If it is, it's your $ spend it as you wish. Because I don't think $300 mods for minimal gains in hp/ET are viable, I would spend my $ elsewhere. Hence my it's not worth it unless you NEED it statement.

My opinion is based as somebody who spends more time at a track in a weekend than most of you will in a year combined. I race and race OFTEN. I also chose a platform that was conducive to that, a taurus is not. This is not to downgrade the car or your wanting to improve the performance of your car. I was in a similar situation with my last car, a Duratec V6 5spd Contour. I loved the car. It was roomy, comfy and fun to drive, but when I realized what "upgrades" were going to cost and yield in results I saw it was just time to move on. I appreciate your wanting to improve your car's performance, but arguing that ANY mod that costs $100/whp produced is the most worthwhile mod you have done is just silly in my book.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Originally posted by Xmann01+Aug 31 2004, 12:07 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Xmann01 @ Aug 31 2004, 12:07 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 30 2004, 11:00 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-bamf70
@Aug 30 2004, 07:39 PM

It's DEFINATELY worth it. Ask anyone (myself included) who purchased an AMS chip and they will state that it's the best mod they ever bought. End of story.
It's not only to add a few extra ponies and torque but also changes shift points which are pretty lazy on some cars. It also removes speed limiters and the like.... to the customer's preference. So... it is worth the expense. [/b][/quote]
Again, if your entire reason for getting it is to fix or upgrade the performance of your trans, you really have no other choice but a chip/tune. If that upgrade is worth $300 to you, then do it. If you say it's the whp produced that makes it a good mod to do I believe you are kidding yourself.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Originally posted by bamf70@Aug 30 2004, 11:54 PM
To fix your shift points you really do need a chip, there is no other way with an auto.  Is the small amount of rwhp you get and shift point correction worth $300 to you?  If it is, it's your $ spend it as you wish.  Because I don't think $300 mods for minimal gains in hp/ET are viable, I would spend my $ elsewhere.  Hence my it's not worth it unless you NEED it statement.

well, when im losing 1-2 seconds e/t at the track because my car mis-shifts, then yes, $300 for 2 sec e/t is worth it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Originally posted by RocCityRoller+Aug 31 2004, 01:55 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (RocCityRoller @ Aug 31 2004, 01:55 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-bamf70@Aug 30 2004, 11:54 PM
To fix your shift points you really do need a chip, there is no other way with an auto.  Is the small amount of rwhp you get and shift point correction worth $300 to you?  If it is, it's your $ spend it as you wish.  Because I don't think $300 mods for minimal gains in hp/ET are viable, I would spend my $ elsewhere.  Hence my it's not worth it unless you NEED it statement.

well, when im losing 1-2 seconds e/t at the track because my car mis-shifts, then yes, $300 for 2 sec e/t is worth it. [/b][/quote]
1st off you drive a Taurus. "At the track" should not be a primary concern for your car, or you bought the wrong car. An auto with shift points that are not optimum for performance is not going to add 2 secs to your ET in 1/4 mile. When I MISS a shift at the track I basically run 1 sec slower than my "normal" ET. A taurus that shifts at the wrong rpms will not cost you 2 full secs, that's obsurd.

Like I said, if you feel the improved shift points for everyday driving and the small hp gain are worth it, enjoy the mod. However basing your arguement on "track" performance would be kind of stupid because how many Taurus owners (non-SHO) are 1/4 mile enthusiasts?

·
Premium Member
2,492 Posts
You also have to look at it from where we stand. Once we have done the CAI, exhaust, port and polish, etc. There are few things left to do to the engine. You can try the SC or turbo route, but that will set you back big bucks compared to 300 for a few hp a few torque and the better shifting. So your equation of dolars to hp output doesnt seem cost effevtive, but compared to the large money alternative seems a little more pratical...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Originally posted by EDIII@Aug 31 2004, 02:06 PM
You also have to look at it from where we stand. Once we have done the CAI, exhaust, port and polish, etc. There are few things left to do to the engine. You can try the SC or turbo route, but that will set you back big bucks compared to 300 for a few hp a few torque and the better shifting. So your equation of dolars to hp output doesnt seem cost effevtive, but compared to the large money alternative seems a little more pratical...
I fully understand your point. Like I said I tried to mod my old Contour and had basically the same issues you describe with the Taurus. To me, I would always try to get the most bang for my $. I too would eventually get a chip in the car, but only when it was NEEDED, not as an early or first mod. Assuming I wanted performance from the car, I would look into an engine swap, N2O, turbo, blower etc to gain the performance I wanted. The Contour came with a 2.5L Duratec and there were plenty of guys putting the 3.0L Duratec in with different SVT parts to get the most hp out of their car. To me that would be a better option for a daily driver than N2O or a power adder. I am not anti-chip. I think the way it's being portrayed by some people here is very naive at best. Somebody new to cars will read that spend $300 and come away going...that's it?

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Originally posted by bamf70+Aug 31 2004, 02:34 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bamf70 @ Aug 31 2004, 02:34 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-EDIII@Aug 31 2004, 02:06 PM
You also have to look at it from where we stand.  Once we have done the CAI, exhaust, port and polish, etc.  There are few things left to do to the engine.  You can try the SC or turbo route, but that will set you back big bucks compared to 300 for a few hp a few torque and the better shifting.  So your equation of dolars to hp output doesnt seem cost effevtive, but compared to the large money alternative seems a little more pratical...
I fully understand your point. Like I said I tried to mod my old Contour and had basically the same issues you describe with the Taurus. To me, I would always try to get the most bang for my $. I too would eventually get a chip in the car, but only when it was NEEDED, not as an early or first mod. Assuming I wanted performance from the car, I would look into an engine swap, N2O, turbo, blower etc to gain the performance I wanted. The Contour came with a 2.5L Duratec and there were plenty of guys putting the 3.0L Duratec in with different SVT parts to get the most hp out of their car. To me that would be a better option for a daily driver than N2O or a power adder. I am not anti-chip. I think the way it's being portrayed by some people here is very naive at best. Somebody new to cars will read that spend $300 and come away going...that's it? [/b][/quote]
I know what you mean..... Some people may be expecting to have a completely different car with just a chip but it doesn't happen that way. It might pick up a few hp and shift better but thats about it. Don't expect to knock .5 seconds off your 0-60 cause its not happening. It would definitely be interesting to see the difference in performance on a track (stock vs chipped). But I also see where some guys are coming from.... if thats all you have left to mod on the car (before going to more serious stuff such as boring out cylinders, shaving heads, P&P ing and what not.... then why not give it a shot. Some people would never go further than a K&N filter and chip.... and if thats what they want to do... thats fine. Overall driveability should be better (Less hesitation, faster shifting) things of that sort. Fortunately the guy who burns chips around here (alberto) will tune and reprogram the chip to your liking. So you wont be left out in the cold if it doesnt come out right.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Originally posted by Xmann01+Aug 31 2004, 07:10 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Xmann01 @ Aug 31 2004, 07:10 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 31 2004, 02:34 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-EDIII
@Aug 31 2004, 02:06 PM
You also have to look at it from where we stand.  Once we have done the CAI, exhaust, port and polish, etc.  There are few things left to do to the engine.  You can try the SC or turbo route, but that will set you back big bucks compared to 300 for a few hp a few torque and the better shifting.  So your equation of dolars to hp output doesnt seem cost effevtive, but compared to the large money alternative seems a little more pratical...

I fully understand your point. Like I said I tried to mod my old Contour and had basically the same issues you describe with the Taurus. To me, I would always try to get the most bang for my $. I too would eventually get a chip in the car, but only when it was NEEDED, not as an early or first mod. Assuming I wanted performance from the car, I would look into an engine swap, N2O, turbo, blower etc to gain the performance I wanted. The Contour came with a 2.5L Duratec and there were plenty of guys putting the 3.0L Duratec in with different SVT parts to get the most hp out of their car. To me that would be a better option for a daily driver than N2O or a power adder. I am not anti-chip. I think the way it's being portrayed by some people here is very naive at best. Somebody new to cars will read that spend $300 and come away going...that's it?
I know what you mean..... Some people may be expecting to have a completely different car with just a chip but it doesn't happen that way. It might pick up a few hp and shift better but thats about it. Don't expect to knock .5 seconds off your 0-60 cause its not happening. It would definitely be interesting to see the difference in performance on a track (stock vs chipped). But I also see where some guys are coming from.... if thats all you have left to mod on the car (before going to more serious stuff such as boring out cylinders, shaving heads, P&P ing and what not.... then why not give it a shot. Some people would never go further than a K&N filter and chip.... and if thats what they want to do... thats fine. Overall driveability should be better (Less hesitation, faster shifting) things of that sort. Fortunately the guy who burns chips around here (alberto) will tune and reprogram the chip to your liking. So you wont be left out in the cold if it doesnt come out right. [/b][/quote]
I see your point as well, BUT......If they are done with their mods, IMO let a tuner actually TUNE the car on the dyno. Mailorder chips can get close, but it will never be 100% perfect unless its done with the tuner standing right there. SCT now has adaptive tunes that do not require a chip, they literally flash the ECM. They can be had for ~$350. To me that is a FAR better solution than a mail order chip. Not saying the guy who tunes for you is bad or anything, but SCT has THE setup for tuning the EECV Ford cars. If you would like to read what they can do, here is a link for you to read through:

SCT Custom Tuning

Personally I went with Diablo for my car and had an autologic before that but I wish I had gone with those guys........

1 - 20 of 38 Posts