Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Still alive and running fine. I want to say I'm surprised, but at the same time the car was in good shape and really isn't that high of miles so it's not super surprising. We'll see how things go as I have time to change some of the worn out things I've been ignoring.

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Well, a critical issue has showed up unfortunately. The speed sensor goes haywire once the trans gets nice and warmed up. Speedo will drop out, then come back, etc while the trans shifts randomly trying to figure it out. Anything more than a 20 mile trip or so and it happens, especially now that it's warm out. And I have tried three VSS sensors now with no improvement (two OE). So either it has an electrical issue with the wires, OR the gear inside the trans is too worn to make good contact once the fluid thins out. I already inspected the plug and harness and saw no obvious issues, and I cleaned the prongs with contact cleaner. Given it worked for longer in the winter, im thinking the gear is my issue.

The problem is that the parts are all but unobtainable at this point, I doubt any of the junkyard cars with 150k+ will be much better. And the later cars moved to a hall sensor because its much more reliable. Essentially this may be the end for this one.

·
Registered
23,406 Posts
^ ice, there's a tutorial on the forum somewhere describing how to replace the internal gear which sounded surprisingly easy.

·
Registered
7,315 Posts
Well, a critical issue has showed up unfortunately. The speed sensor goes haywire once the trans gets nice and warmed up. Speedo will drop out, then come back, etc while the trans shifts randomly trying to figure it out. Anything more than a 20 mile trip or so and it happens, especially now that it's warm out. And I have tried three VSS sensors now with no improvement (two OE). So either it has an electrical issue with the wires, OR the gear inside the trans is too worn to make good contact once the fluid thins out. I already inspected the plug and harness and saw no obvious issues, and I cleaned the prongs with contact cleaner. Given it worked for longer in the winter, im thinking the gear is my issue.

The problem is that the parts are all but unobtainable at this point, I doubt any of the junkyard cars with 150k+ will be much better. And the later cars moved to a hall sensor because its much more reliable. Essentially this may be the end for this one.
Maybe a trans repair shop could order or have one.

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 · (Edited)
^ ice, there's a tutorial on the forum somewhere describing how to replace the internal gear which sounded surprisingly easy.
Maybe a trans repair shop could order or have one.
I found that thread after some searching. I was able to find it on an obscure NOS parts website, lol. We'll see if I actually get it. $21 with shipping so not too much of a risk. Part number is F58Z17285A if anyone is curious.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts