Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my mom just smogged the car tonight and the technician told her the "gromit on the PCV valve was warn out, and if that breaks alot of bad things will happen". He also said this about the rubber boot on the valve cover breather. (I think its a breather it goes to the air intake). I checked with a flashlight at the boot on the PCV valve and didnt see any cracks. the one on the valve cover feels thin but no cracks. What in the heck is this guy talking about. And another thing whats the easiest way to get to the PCV valve on these things? looks like a major PITA. Thanks.

·
Registered
49 Posts
If the car is due to have the PCV valve replaced I would just replace it along with the rubber/plastic grommet. Probably $20 in parts.
Most cars get it replaced about every 60,000 miles.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ya and this one has never been replaced. runs like a top though. Are they hard to change? Looks like its brutal to get to.

·
Registered
49 Posts

1. Remove the Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) valve.
1Disconnect the PCV hose from the intake manifold.2Turn the PCV valve 180 degrees and remove it from the oil separator.
INSTALLATION

1. To install, reverse the removal procedure.
I am not familiar with your engine so this is all I could find. I have the Vulcan 3.0 OHV and the PCV valve is right on the valve cover.

·
Registered
159 Posts
There are many write ups on this procedure on this forum. There is a way to do it with a home made tool that will let you do it in 15 minutes, I did my 2000 duratec this way. Very easy

Here you go. I'll make it easy

Go here
scroll to the bottom and read my post (retiredtaurus) about the 14 inch pipe found on the second page, reply number 20 before you start removing anything!

good luck. You do not have to remove anything to get it out or back in!

http://taurusclub.com/forum/index.php?show...;hl=duratec+pcv

1 - 7 of 7 Posts