Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to locate the pcv valve on my 2000 Taurus sel 3.0 dohc. Can anyone help me out with the location? Is that it in the pic I attached?

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
That's not it. It's underneath the lower intake manifold. The easiest way is to remove the throttle body, MAF, and upper air filter housing (can all come off together). There's a tube/hose that runs from under the upper intake manifold (just behind the throttle body) to the PCV valve. Remove the PCV valve end of the tube. The short hose may get stuck on the valve. Looking under the lower intake manifold from about where the throttle body sits, you can see the PCV valve. A 12pt, 7/8" socket will fit around the square flange on the valve. A slight turn CCW will release it. You might have to grab it with a pair of pliers if is doesn't come out in the socket. It sounds more intimidating than it is.

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
That's not it. It's underneath the lower intake manifold. The easiest way is to remove the throttle body, MAF, and upper air filter housing (can all come off together). There's a tube/hose that runs from under the upper intake manifold (just behind the throttle body) to the PCV valve. Remove the PCV valve end of the tube. The short hose may get stuck on the valve. Looking under the lower intake manifold from about where the throttle body sits, you can see the PCV valve. A 12pt, 7/8" socket will fit around the square flange on the valve. A slight turn CCW will release it. You might have to grab it with a pair of pliers if is doesn't come out in the socket. It sounds more intimidating than it is.
you for sure want this hose as in the pic, it is an upgrade from the original. And only Motorcraft PCV. You get the connector hose to the PCV which you for sure need. I used a parts house PCV and had to do it over with OE. Idled too fast due to excess air flow. Takes a bit of effort so no reason to trust cheap store parts.

-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you for sure want this hose as in the pic, it is an upgrade from the original. And only Motorcraft PCV. You get the connector hose to the PCV which you for sure need. I used a parts house PCV and had to do it over with OE. Idled too fast due to excess air flow. Takes a bit of effort so no reason to trust cheap store parts.

-chart-
Where do I get this hose?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

-chart-
Ok great news that hose was already on my car lol. Now the problem I am having is getting the valve out. A socket just turns so is their a tool I can make or but to remove it?

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
Ok great news that hose was already on my car lol. Now the problem I am having is getting the valve out. A socket just turns so is their a tool I can make or but to remove it?

Sensor turns one half turn CCW then pulls out with some effort. If the orientation is lost hard to tell if it has been turned the half turn to un-do the threads.

-chart-

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
A 7/8 inch, 12 pt deep socket is best. A regular socket should just reach the flange, though. There are some YouTube videos out there where people have used a short piece of PVC pipe with some small modifications.

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
A 7/8 inch, 12 pt deep socket is best. A regular socket should just reach the flange, though. There are some YouTube videos out there where people have used a short piece of PVC pipe with some small modifications.
Pic of one I made. I whittled out the wood peg, heated the PCV pipe coupling with a heat gun and pushed the wood pig into it, used a vice to square up the PVC to the peg. Masking green tape there to grip the valve for installation, to hold the valve straight. I used the 7/8" 12 point socket for my first one. Need a real good socket that is open inside for clearing the nipple. I had to insert my extension part way to make it work. Used the plastic tool since, and had to do my '03 sedan twice. Bought a store brand PCV and it made it idle very fast. MC from RA and it is like new. Way too much work for having to do over with junk parts house part.

-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pic of one I made. I whittled out the wood peg, heated the PCV pipe coupling with a heat gun and pushed the wood pig into it, used a vice to square up the PVC to the peg. Masking green tape there to grip the valve for installation, to hold the valve straight. I used the 7/8" 12 point socket for my first one. Need a real good socket that is open inside for clearing the nipple. I had to insert my extension part way to make it work. Used the plastic tool since, and had to do my '03 sedan twice. Bought a store brand PCV and it made it idle very fast. MC from RA and it is like new. Way too much work for having to do over with junk parts house part.

-chart-
Ok so I'm confused as to how it goes in. Which way does it go in? Because right now the one that is in my engine has it facing with the nipple going in. Is it supposed to be opposite? Or which side goes in and which side stays out

·
Administrator
14,947 Posts
It can only go in one way. If you look at your bottom pick you can see the slots for the twist lock that holds it in place and the o-ring that would serve no purpose on the hose end.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
^^ Yep. ^^

Having the old one in backwards would cause all kinds of problems, I suppose.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Do you know how to move the wiring harness out of the way so I can access it easier?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So I finally got everything hooked up properly the pcv valve was indeed in backwards. I don't get how it ran good all those years without messing up. Can bad gas mess up a pcv valve?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts