Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2000 Sable VIN S with the DURATEC engine. For some time I have been wondering where the PCV valve was located. After reading krauty's inquiry Oct 18, 2007 and reading the response, I decided to take another look under the hood again for the PCV. I traced back from the Air Intake to the area described in the inquiry, and illustrated in an included photo. I took my own photo of what I found in the area where the PCV should be located and did not find a standard PCV. I took my photo to the neighborhood Advanced Auto to see if what looked like a PCV matched what was called as a replacement PCV for my 2000 Sable. The salesman brought back a standard run of the mill PCV. After a little research, it was discovered that the 2001 Sable VIN S did not show a replaceable PCV. My Sable had a manufacturing date of 01/00. The salesman suggested that my 2000 Sable was assembled with the 2001 engine. If that be the case, how is crankcase ventilation accomplished in the 2001 DURATEC engine? Are there any crankcase ventilation components that I should be looking for when performing routine maintenance? Attached is my photo along with some presumed information I added.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
Does your 2000 Sable have the water pump mounted to the front of the engine (passenger side) or the rear (driver's side)? If the pump is on the front, it's a 2000 engine. If the pump is on the rear, it's a 2001. 2000 was an unusual year as Ford was using up left overs from the Gen 3 and began building the Gen 4.

The red arrow in your picture is pointing to the PCV. It can be removed by twisting counter clockwise. Some have used a short piece of PVC pipe, cut notches in the end, and made a tool to remove the PCV.

I would go to the dealer. I rarely trust auto part store databases.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (spridget @ Mar 15 2009, 05:36 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=708845
Does your 2000 Sable have the water pump mounted to the front of the engine (passenger side) or the rear (driver's side)? If the pump is on the front, it's a 2000 engine. If the pump is on the rear, it's a 2001. 2000 was an unusual year as Ford was using up left overs from the Gen 3 and began building the Gen 4.

The red arrow in your picture is pointing to the PCV. It can be removed by twisting counter clockwise. Some have used a short piece of PVC pipe, cut notches in the end, and made a tool to remove the PCV.

I would go to the dealer. I rarely trust auto part store databases.[/b]

I appreciate your reponse concerning the PCV. The water pump is to the front side of the engine as opposed to being on the firewall side of the engine. I suppose that means I've got a 2000 engine with a 2001 PCV. www.rockauto.com listed the PVC under the 2001 model year.
Again,

Thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts
QUOTE (RMPPOD @ Mar 15 2009, 04:47 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=708836
I own a 2000 Sable VIN S with the DURATEC engine. For some time I have been wondering where the PCV valve was located. After reading krauty's inquiry Oct 18, 2007 and reading the response, I decided to take another look under the hood again for the PCV. I traced back from the Air Intake to the area described in the inquiry, and illustrated in an included photo. I took my own photo of what I found in the area where the PCV should be located and did not find a standard PCV. I took my photo to the neighborhood Advanced Auto to see if what looked like a PCV matched what was called as a replacement PCV for my 2000 Sable. The salesman brought back a standard run of the mill PCV. After a little research, it was discovered that the 2001 Sable VIN S did not show a replaceable PCV. My Sable had a manufacturing date of 01/00. The salesman suggested that my 2000 Sable was assembled with the 2001 engine. If that be the case, how is crankcase ventilation accomplished in the 2001 DURATEC engine? Are there any crankcase ventilation components that I should be looking for when performing routine maintenance? Attached is my photo along with some presumed information I added.[/b]
The PCV is located in the center of the block at the top, between the heads, under the main wiring harness and fuel rail and very difficult to remove.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts