Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife's 2002 Taurus (Duratec) is having some issues that I believe I've traced back to the PCV valve/elbow/hose. One (or more) of those things needs to be replaced. I'm tempted to replace it all just to be safe, but I'm having a difficult time figuring out exactly what the parts are that I would need. I can find the valve itself, and I can find what's listed as the "elbow", but I'm not sure about the rest (if there are additional parts). In regards to the elbow, I see that AutoZone lists a few different elbows as well as an "elbow kit" that includes tubes and connectors. Thanks in advance to anyone who can assist me in this area.

·
Registered
23,215 Posts
^ May check Rockauto.com for parts/prices. I'd recommend the Motorcraft reinforced hose and all Motorcraft parts.

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
My wife's 2002 Taurus (Duratec) is having some issues that I believe I've traced back to the PCV valve/elbow/hose. One (or more) of those things needs to be replaced. I'm tempted to replace it all just to be safe, but I'm having a difficult time figuring out exactly what the parts are that I would need. I can find the valve itself, and I can find what's listed as the "elbow", but I'm not sure about the rest (if there are additional parts). In regards to the elbow, I see that AutoZone lists a few different elbows as well as an "elbow kit" that includes tubes and connectors. Thanks in advance to anyone who can assist me in this area.
My '03 had the PCV stuck closed and it caused very slow idle. As a quick fix I got cheap Autozone and put it in and then had very fast idle. I ordered OE from RA and idle is ideal. The piston had to move each time you go off idle throttle. The OE is very light so it moves quickly. AZ is heavy chunk of iron with the quality of a spike nail. The orange ring on the OE seals the crank case so the vapors do not seep up in the accordion and throttle body making GUNK.
Pic of my PCV tool for DOHC. Wood plug sanded on a disc sander and green tape keeps the PCV held in place. It twists half turn CCW tor remove, reverse to install. I remove the air intake plenum to get access. Dremel with slitting disc will cut the old clamp. I have 3 DOHC in my herd.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Once I went in to start removing the parts, it became clear that the biggest issue was with the PCV elbow. The old one had a significant hole in it and had collapsed in on itself. I replaced it with one I purchased from AutoZone down the street (it was the closest place with one in stock), and that appears to have fixed the majority of the issues. I inspected the plastic "hose" that went from the elbow to what I believe is the actual PCV valve, and it appeared in good shape. I didn't remove the PCV valve itself because I wanted to see if replacing the elbow would fix the issue (since it had the obvious damage).

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
Once I went in to start removing the parts, it became clear that the biggest issue was with the PCV elbow. The old one had a significant hole in it and had collapsed in on itself. I replaced it with one I purchased from AutoZone down the street (it was the closest place with one in stock), and that appears to have fixed the majority of the issues. I inspected the plastic "hose" that went from the elbow to what I believe is the actual PCV valve, and it appeared in good shape. I didn't remove the PCV valve itself because I wanted to see if replacing the elbow would fix the issue (since it had the obvious damage).
PCV good for 100K. Will cause high/low idle speed if not working properly or you use junk aftermarket part. Been there.
Regular scheduled maint per attached.
-chart-

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts