Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay. I was going to check the PCV valve today, but couldn't find it. I read on here and on autozone.com that it was on the passenger side of the car, upper engine and rear head.

Of course, with a Duratec, the rear head might as well be the Holy Grail. Everybody talks about it, no one's ever seen it.

Where exactly is the PCV Valve? Also, I read something about Seafoam Auto Marine. I read what it does, but my question is this...can it be used as preventive maintenance? There's nothing wrong with my engine...nothing more serious than needing new rear plugs...but would it hurt to put that stuff in there and clean out the carbon in the intake?

Any horror stories concerning Seafoam?

Any and all comments will be helpful. thanks.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I've used Seafoam in my motorcycle. Seems to help, if the output is any indication. On a bike, I had to do it a little different, as there's 4 carbs to deal with. I took out the plugs, and used a turkey baster to squirt some directly into the cylinders, then rolled the bike around the get it coating the combustion chamber (this is all done on a warm engine, BTW). After about 10 minutes, replace the plugs and gas the neighborhood (seriously, you don't do this in the garage). Pour the rest of the Seafoam in the gas tank at the next fillup and I'm good to go.
I used it every 5k miles or so. Probably a good idea to change the oil AFTER doing it though.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
A guy that I work with also uses Seafoam in his Integra. He said it helps worlds. The only thing that he cautioned, though, it that it seems to foul out plugs and O2 sensors, if you have access to old O2 sensors that you could stick in, and were going to change your plugs anyway, this might be good stuff for you to use.

JR

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cool. i'll look into it. i don't have access to old O2 sensors, and I just changed my plugs and oil...but i'll give it a shot anyway. thanks for the input.

no ideas about the pcv valve, eh? I can't see the damned thing. I'm about to rip the duratec out of my car and install a vulcan. less power, true, but much, much, much easier to work on.

thanks again.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Originally posted by LoadedLX@Aug 7 2004, 08:17 AM
no ideas about the pcv valve, eh? I can't see the damned thing.
I don't have a 'tec, but this post makes it seem like you have to remove the intake. Good luck.. :)

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oh good lord. i won't mess with it. I hate the duratec engine. love the power, and its a good motor, but it was designed so you'd have to take it to the stealership everytime you had even the smallest thing go out.

ah well...guess i'll buy plug wires and the pcv valve and do it all at the same time. thanks guys.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts