1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2000 duratec 24 OHVC (11/99 build)
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie first post.
Duratec 24valve SE
Thanks to all the postings from you folks I had a rough idea on how to proceed.
After two hours trying to to get that D**n clip off I just pulled the throttle ass'y off
and tied it out of the way- Just two bolts. had that pesky collapsed leaky boot off in in 60 seconds.
new one on and clamped (with a worm clamp) in 5 more minuets. Wish I had done that from the beginning!
Broke off the little nipple on the radiator Y fitting while fighting this thing. reamed and tapped hole for 1/8 NPT
hose barb and cobbled together a temporary fix- Ran coolant tank cap loose as I was afraid to pressurize my
Jerry-Rig. got me to the grocery store and my local Auto Zone which just happened to have that Y hose fitting in stock.
Was going to put it in tonight but before I drain the coolant system I want to research on how to properly refill it.
Besides, It was getting well past Beer O'clock.
will try to post some pics.
BTW, as this is my first newbie post any constructive criticism?
IMG_0724.JPEG IMG_0725.JPEG IMG_0726.JPEG IMG_0728.JPEG

IMG_0728.JPEG
I'm still have a lot to learn on inserting pics on this site:unsure:

·
Registered
2000 duratec 24 OHVC (11/99 build)
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Unfortunately, I used a bare bones elbow only part which was in stock at the local auto parts stores. Under a tight time line.
Now, a sheepish confession.🙄 I received this car from my Mother when she ended up in a nursing home with 40K miles.
I'm now at 103K miles. all I did since then was oil changes, anti freeze checks, tires and a occasional minor repair. while
researching the cooling system I found the September 1999 model guide. leafed through it and realized how many things I've neglected! If I want to get another 50 or 100K miles out of my "Bull" I've got to do some serious work under the hood
this summer. picked up a Motorcraft coolant "Y" fitting from local auto parts store ( They actually had one in stock!) to install tomorrow. Been researching on how to refill coolant system and other than the vacuum method. haven't had much luck. thinking after a good flush and drain removing removing larger hose to resivour tank, plugging tank port & pulling a
light vacuum on resivour tank. pull the smaller hose on same and feeding a 50/50 mix of new coolant into it until I see coolant filling the resivour. <sp>. I don't want to collapse any other 103K miles hoses at this time. also worried of air pockets in block & heater core and how to chase them out.
Any advice would really be welcome. hope to do this tomorrow as I have to keep a working vehicle on the road for my business.
IMG_0724 (600x800).jpg

·
Registered
22,851 Posts
Just drain the coolant below the upper radiator hose you're replacing by opening the petcock on the drivers bottom side of the radiator. May need a 19mm/3/4" tool to loosen but hand tighten only to avoid breaking the petcock. Refill the degas tank/reservoir with your 50/50 coolant mix to the top and after a couple of drive cycles it'll be at the correct coolant level. The "de-gas" tank will automatically take care of your air worries. No need to bleed.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I finally cut an access hole through the lower shroud to reach the driver's side petcock. Other times I just drain it from low point passenger's side at the hoses. Somewhere on this site is a photo of where to drain from passenger's side on the hoses.

Scott

·
Registered
22,851 Posts
Scott, you can just disconnect the lower radiator hose on the pass. side. Quick, effective but messy and you can't control the amount of coolant you're draining if you just want to drain below the upper radiator hose or t-stat.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Just drain the coolant below the upper radiator hose you're replacing by opening the petcock on the drivers bottom side of the radiator. May need a 19mm/3/4" tool to loosen but hand tighten only to avoid breaking the petcock. Refill the degas tank/reservoir with your 50/50 coolant mix to the top and after a couple of drive cycles it'll be at the correct coolant level. The "de-gas" tank will automatically take care of your air worries. No need to bleed.
Last time I drained my Duratec Taurus by the petcock, only got out one gallon coolant. Suggestions how to get out more? Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts