Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 2000 sable with the 24 valve engine and I'm hearing a slight vacuum leak and found the pcv elbow that connects to the Intake manifold is collapsing. The elbow is intact, with no holes or rips. The engine runs fine, but I hear the hissing caused by leaking air. Has anyone experienced this before? I tried passing air to and from the pcv valve and it seemed to cycle normally. What should I do? Thanks, Grayle

·
Super Moderator
8,722 Posts
If elbow is collapsing, it is bad and must be replaced.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
I put a nylon zip tie (wire tie) on mine and it sealed it right up.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The elbow does have a metal clamp around the larger end that connects to the intake manifold. So is the elbow rubber weaken from the heat?

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
The elbow does have a metal clamp around the larger end that connects to the intake manifold. So is the elbow rubber weaken from the heat?
Definitely. That along with all the other rubber vacuum lines under the hood lol

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bought a new one at the dealer and they have an update for it, the rubber elbow has extra ribbing on the outside to strengthen it.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Any pictures of what the update looks like if it isn't installed yet?

·
Registered
96 Posts
MOTORCRAFT Part # KCV116 {#YF1Z6A664AB}

Lowest price I found was at Rock Auto.
MOTORCRAFT Part # KCV116
About $14.
Searched for Rock Auto coupon and found a 5% off at Frugal Mechanic. Entered coupon code where Rock Auto site asked for "how did you hear about us".
Shipping was about $3 more.

To see a picture of the new style tube, check this overacted video about hose replacement by someone else on you tube. New hose is seen at about 6 minutes.

Replaced the elbow shown in the video but found other broken vacuum hoses and replaced them also. Including one under the air intake near KCV 116 and the elbow at the front valve cover. To get to KCV 116 from the radiator side, had to remove several things around the throttle linkage, various hoses and the pulley cover at the driver side of the engine. But did not need to remove the throttle body or air cleaner.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Seemed more like a Vlog, but it did provide some good reference material. Nice to see it added some ribbing.So on the 2001-03 Duratec, are you saying that the water pump pulley cover is in the way of gaining access to the PCV?

Whenever you're at pull a part like places, grab any newer looking vacuum hoses...found a Sable awhile back that had a bunch of new lines from the dealer before it was plowed in the rear @ 200K miles, snatched all of them up for $2 (receipts from dealer in glovebox).

·
Registered
96 Posts
are you saying that the water pump pulley cover is in the way of gaining access to the PCV?
Yes. Was not able to use a channel lock so used a 11" needle nose plier. Removing the wp pulley cover gave enough room to get to the PCV elbow from the radiator side. Did not change the PCV valve. See first picture.

The second picture is the PCV elbow with duct tape around it in the center of picture behind a cable and a tube. Note to the right of the PCV elbow the elusive dpfe. Picture is from the driver's side, using a camera, looking down between the air intake and the firewall. Note the ATF dipstick also in the 2nd picture.

Third picture is the replacement PCV elbow and another broken hose.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Oh wow the 01+ setup makes things a bit more cramped now on the driver's side. I see what you mean now. And the DPFE moved too wow.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've also had this rough idling issue and I've read many solutions (plenum gasket, vaccum leak, O2) but I think this sounds the most plausible. Mine happens when it's hot. The hotter the worse it is. Cold days she runs fine... hot days and if I don't keep the foot on the accelerator, I'm afraid it's going to die.

I've never changed this sort of thing before...but I do have an advanced engineering degree (and I stayed at a Holiday last night) ;)

Also, any suggestions on a book for the Taurus?

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Check under Topic Finder at the top. PLenty of great references under there.

·
Registered
52 Posts
How did you guys find out that it was part# KCV116? I had not ordered (from Rock Auto) the part before because it listed KCV117 as the part under an 00 24v and the picture looked different. I just ordered the KCV116 yesterday. I noticed the hose was decaying when I replaced the PCV for the first time at 150k (pain in the arse to do).

·
Registered
127 Posts
How much is the new revised elbow @ the Ford dealer that comes with the PCV valve and the hard plastic tube? Does Rock Auto sell the 3 piece kit or just the Elbow?

I was pissed that the replacement kit I bought a few years back I am guessing the elbow developed a crack/slice at the bend AGAIN! I am guessing as I haven't taken the Elbow off to inspect it. I am having the same symptoms of rough idle as I did years ago. Hoping this new design with extra ribs will make this elbow last longer than a year.

I'm thinking of re-installing the original elbow I saved when it went bad as I glued a patch over the sliced bend. Not sure it's worth trying it as it's a PITA to get the elbow on/off the intake. That said the patched original seemed more solid than the now failed replacement.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I'm confused with my 2001 Duratec? There are 2 diferent PCV installations between 2000 and 2000 plus. I cannot figure out what I've actualy got! They are very diferent and dificult to see what I have. Without removing the UIM I cannot see being able to replace the correct parts beforehand? Help please.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts