Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, on the way home this afternoon, my son said he lost the A/c and CEL light came on. Took the car to O'reilly Auto Parts and they pulled code P1633. After searching here, it's leading to low voltage at the PCM. Can anybody tell me where this is. I can't really tell from the picture on my DVD. Car is a '01 Sable with the 3.0 DOHV.

Thanks,

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I was able to find it in the engine bay. Pulled off the connector and everything was clean. If I take the two fasteners off, what does it connect to on the other side of the firewall? Will it just pull out?

Next question. It sounds like the A/C clutch is making a lot of noise. It just quit blowing cold air on the way home from school this afternoon. Is it possible to let the compressor hang and replace the clutch without disconnecting the lines?

·
Registered
121 Posts
QUOTE (Mercury 01 @ Jun 4 2010, 07:11 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=809385
I was able to find it in the engine bay. Pulled off the connector and everything was clean. If I take the two fasteners off, what does it connect to on the other side of the firewall? Will it just pull out?

Next question. It sounds like the A/C clutch is making a lot of noise. It just quit blowing cold air on the way home from school this afternoon. Is it possible to let the compressor hang and replace the clutch without disconnecting the lines?[/b]

My sugestion is to get your A/c problem squared away then move forward on the keep alive voltage for the pcm. I would not replace the power control module because of that code. A drain on your power system somewhere under the hood could cause this code.

I have never replaced the A/C clutch. If it is making a strange sound when engaged it could be the compressor.

·
Registered
121 Posts
QUOTE (kgrantkey @ Jun 4 2010, 10:12 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=809445
QUOTE (Mercury 01 @ Jun 4 2010, 07:11 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=809385

Next question. It sounds like the A/C clutch is making a lot of noise. It just quit blowing cold air on the way home from school this afternoon. Is it possible to let the compressor hang and replace the clutch without disconnecting the lines?[/b]

My sugestion is to get your A/c problem squared away then move forward on the keep alive voltage for the pcm. I would not replace the power control module because of that code. A drain on your power system somewhere under the hood could cause this code.

I have never replaced the A/C clutch. If it is making a strange sound when engaged it could be the compressor.
[/b][/quote]

Google is your friend......found this on the web.........
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CrapaTaurusWrecks
07-23-2008, 01:52 AM
My idiot light came on and the code is P1633. Keep alive power voltage too low. The light came on after my A/C compressor froze and snapped my serpentine belt. Not sure if that's related but it was the only problem I've had.
I replaced my A/C compressor and belt and the engine is purring again. Problem is I try to erase the code and it wont go. The CEL light will blink off for a second and come right back on.
I've checked and ruled out the battery and fuses. I don't know much about electrical so I could use some advice on what to try to trace this problem.

OK did a little more troubleshooting and found that the ground to the PCM was ever-so-slightly corroded. I cleaned and reinstalled. Then I checked the power control fuse box and found a tiny piece of the fuse box plastic had broken off and fell in between the contacts of fuse number 22. Related to my P1633 promblem? I don't know. I pulled that piece of broken plastic out and reinstalled the fuse.
I didn't check in between doing the two troubleshooting jobs so I'm not sure which one was the culprit. But now that scary code is gone and that's what matters most.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope it helps.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's what I'm planning on doing. I'm really hoping that the two are related. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I just got back from my local shop. They confirmed that it is indeed the A/C compressor is bad. They tell me that I need to replace the compressor,evaporator, and orifice tube. All said and done $920.00.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts