Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 SEL inherited from my wife's Grandmother. Currently has 80k miles on it, but the mechanic and I can't communicate with the PCM. The shop I've gone to for the last five years is reputable and usually does a good job of checking all the small stuff (wire connections, fuses) before telling me it's something major. This time they told me the PCM needs to be replaced.

I've read through a few posts and discovered I should check/replace the fuse and relay for the PCM, which I did, replaced both even though they seemed to be working fine. I also cleaned out the relay seat with a brush to make sure nothing was sitting in it.

The reason the mechanics were trying to communicate with the PCM was to see if any error codes could explain why the engine hesitates and stalls on rare occasions. I've checked, the mechanic double checked the vaccum line for leaks, we did not find any obvious one. I bought a mass air sensor cleaner to clean that, just to be safe, and it's 20 y.o. O2 sensor was replaced in 2019, worked fine since then.

So I'm hoping for two things, suggestions where I can buy a good PCM inexpensively that I can have programmed with the information from this unit, so I don't have to change keys and such, and/or other ideas of items I should look at that may be causing the no communication with the PCM.

·
Super Moderator
8,430 Posts
Does the engine start and run more or less OK? Tranny shift OK? CEL off? If the answer to these are YES, chances are PM is fine.

If the OBDII test port doesnt have +12 V at one of the pins (I forget which pin at the moment), a scan tool will not be able to communicate with the PCM. I believe the 12 V for the OBDII port is on the same circuit as one of the cig lighters. Check for blown fuses.

Ford PCMs are quite robust. PCM failure is VERY rare.

Reactions: kekaye56 and sheila
1 - 3 of 3 Posts