Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

21 - 40 of 641 Posts

·
N.E. Chapter Moderator
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Great work on the roof job but you're insane for attempting it. With that said, don't do it again because we know the definition for insanity, right? Ask Ben Franklin.

The car looks incredible though!
Well thanks! (never again haha) You probably miss the moonroof in the totaled SEL don't you? Going to an SE, you lost a lot of features.

First Mods of 2013!

I found a totaled 2004 SEL with 90k at the junkyard, so I figured it is about time I do autolamps! I took the switch, the dash piece with sensor, and the connectors to take pins out of. I didn't need the switch with fog light capability, so it is just the basic one with autolamp feature.

On top of the autolamps, I looked up on this and discovered that two pins on the sensor have to do with the LED in it. As you can see, there is a red LED inside.

So I preceded to tear apart my dash and run all the wiring in order to add the pins to the SJB.

After a while, I completely ran the wiring for the autolamps feature and it ended up working! I also wired the LED to the theft light in the cluster and I now have a blinking theft LED on my dash now!

Here is the finished product.

Yes, the surround for the headlamp switch is going to either be getting painted, or replaced. I hate the worn off paint!! It drives me nuts.

There ya go! It blinks about every 3 seconds.

This is also a feeler. Not sure if I like it.
I grabbed 4 Lincoln Continental / Mercury Grand Marquis lock pulls. I hate the look of the front being the short stubby one, so I didn't even bother doing that. I have 4 of the tall ones in my doors.. not sure if I like it. Oh well.. takes a minute to change back.

Also, I finally added a cargo net to my trunk!

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
I grabbed 4 Lincoln Continental / Mercury Grand Marquis lock pulls. I hate the look of the front being the short stubby one, so I didn't even bother doing that. I have 4 of the tall ones in my doors.. not sure if I like it. Oh well.. takes a minute to change back.
I did the same thing in my car :) I like that the "chrome" adds a bit of flair to an otherwise all charcoal black door panel.

Nice work!

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Very nice write up.

·
N.E. Chapter Moderator
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Sound Upgrade!

I figured it was time for a little bit of an upgrade to the sound system in my car since the factory speakers were a little fuzzy and blah. Keep in mind I had all the factory components that came with the Mach Audio system. Tweeters, 4 Ford speakers, and the CD changer. The Mach amp, too, of course. Bought 4 Polk Audio DXi570s from Crutchfield and installed them. They came with the adapters that fit right into the factory plug, so it was easy. The only issue I ran into was that it was 2°F out. That isn't an exaggeration either. And wow what a difference. Clean crisp highs, excellent midbass, and they aren't even broken in yet. The ceremonial first song was "Squonk" by Genesis. (Now that is good music.)

An excellent upgrade for the money, and the best part is that it is still powered by stock stuff. It sure doesn't sound it!

What is up with this? These are the original ones from my car of course.

But notice 3 have the same part number, but there is one odd one out. It has a different color too.. the 3 had a gold hue to them, while the other one was all silver. The silver was the buzzy one too.

Thought it was strange.

Also, can't wait to use this stuff on the car.
All this for... wait for it....just under $15. Clearance sale at work + my discount! B)

·
Administrator
6,641 Posts
Hey, don't forget to mention I recommended you to those speakers! So you wouldn't have upgraded without my persuasion!

·
N.E. Chapter Moderator
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Yeah, yeah.. whatever :p

Thanks for your input. :)

·
I Drive A Fuze
3,053 Posts
That speaker was possibly from a different Ford vehicle, same but different lol. So you like them? I need to put better speakers in mine.

·
N.E. Chapter Moderator
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
We had the car since 2006 and the speakers don't have junkyard markings or anything strange on them. Who knows

And YES! I love them! Such better clarity compared to the Ford speakers.

·
N.E. Chapter Moderator
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
This is what I get to deal with fixing tomorrow.
It is inconvenient for your window to fall off the track (who knows what broke this time) in single digit snowy weather on the highway.

So I go to park it til I fix it, and the SEL had a flat tire.. Not my day.

·
Has It Been That Long?
11,996 Posts
This is what I get to deal with fixing tomorrow.
It is inconvenient for your window to fall off the track (who knows what broke this time) in single digit snowy weather on the highway.

So I go to park it til I fix it, and the SEL had a flat tire.. Not my day.
Well, why did you roll it down in single digit weather? ;)

·
N.E. Chapter Moderator
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
To get the snow off of it! Ha it was a very light coating and I was too *lazy* to brush it off.

·
Administrator
6,641 Posts
Poor Paul. I'll find a new door for you.

·
N.E. Chapter Moderator
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
A few months ago, I had the same problem. It came off the track, but it was able to be wrestled back on the track until I bent the track back so it'd stay on. This time it came off even further, and all it does is clunk back down to where it is if I try moving it.

Stupid car. I don't know about a new door. Although, if I do go down south and find pristine 03+ doors, I'll trade mine out in an instant. Mine have rust and dings. I need ones with both new style handles (Exterior, and interior black ones)... but that is something I'll take if I find on my own I am sure.

And that means I have to resplice the Mach stuff in. Ugh!!!
No new door for now. I'll tear it apart first.

·
Administrator
6,641 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
If you need a place to crash for the night, I'm right off of I-77 on your southern search for parts lol

I am still impressed you added a moonroof to your car successfully. Good job man. How did you remove the industrial adhesive holding the metal frame and track assembly up?

·
N.E. Chapter Moderator
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
When do I move in? Haha I actually may take you up on that at some point. Got room for another bull? My doors are not too bad. Naturally my passenger one is the only one rusty on the bottom. The driver one is pristine, but it has the window issue. I wonder how hard it'd be to weld a new dogleg in too.

Haha oh the moonroof. Basically, it took time and patience. I used a flat head screw driver and a hammer to get space between the roof and tray, and I also used a mini pry bar, and a spackling tool to break up the bond. Then I had to cut around where it was welded to the tray with tin snips since they don't allow electric saws. Once the tray was out, the little pieces of metal welded to the tray were removed as I was able to work the bonds back and forth to get those to let loose. Then voila, a moonroof tray. And at that point, I knew I had to do this after all the time invested in it.

It is cool to have. I don't find myself using it as much as you would probably think haha, but the girlfriend likes it. It is also nice to vent it in the winter when the car becomes too hot inside.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I like that! I have an '03 SE I want to order centennials for. I wanna go to a junk yard and find some black leather seats for it.

·
'MT5 Plus' Wagon Builder
1,234 Posts
I thought you was crazy to cut a hole in your roof. Many people told you not to do it.

Don't listen to us.

The car looks great and a award would be well deserved.

·
N.E. Chapter Moderator
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Thanks a lot. I am glad people like my ride :)

This is the only place I get compliments since who else would compliment a Taurus!? Although this guy at the gas station with a 1995 SE was eye balling my bull tonight.

NEVER AGAIN on the moonroof. From now on I will just buy a car with one in it! :p

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I found a totaled 2004 SEL with 90k at the junkyard, so I figured it is about time I do autolamps! I took the switch, the dash piece with sensor, and the connectors to take pins out of. I didn't need the switch with fog light capability, so it is just the basic one with autolamp feature.

On top of the autolamps, I looked up on this and discovered that two pins on the sensor have to do with the LED in it. As you can see, there is a red LED inside.

So I preceded to tear apart my dash and run all the wiring in order to add the pins to the SJB.

After a while, I completely ran the wiring for the autolamps feature and it ended up working! I also wired the LED to the theft light in the cluster and I now have a blinking theft LED on my dash now!

Here is the finished product.

On hunt for that dash piece and that sunload sensor pigtail myself.

21 - 40 of 641 Posts
About this Discussion
640 Replies
57 Participants
TaurusDailyDriver
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing