Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
N.E. Chapter Moderator
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Small update before I get a good chance to really get this finished up.

Here is how it sits at the moment waiting for its exhaust part. It came today, but due to the fact that I had to work late today, and we had flash floods here in Columbia, it will have to wait to get some love until later tomorrow after work. The interior is pretty much gutted out, less the dash. Gotta clean it up!

Here is the part that I ordered off rockauto. This is made for 2000-2007 OHV and DOHC cars with flexpipes that break. All 2000-2007 can take the same rear cat, but instead of replacing the whole cat, this part is designed to address this common failure. $18 for this part vs $130 for the whole catalytic converter.

I also got a battery cheap at work... an Optima Red Top for less than $50 putting out 950CCA. Could not go wrong. I love ignorant customers who think their battery is 'defective' when they have cars that actually have the problems.

Also did a fast headlight clean up... I will refrain from saying 'restoration' because it is far from it and not my best work. But still, it is an improvement. Yes, there are parts in the house... the girlfriend is away for the weekend. Do not tell her.

Tomorrow should be another productive day.

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
Pic of my test run of clearcoat on old bulb. I did a 400G wet sand by hand, dry and quick outside rattle can clearcoat and this bulb outside over 2 winters, out back looking south. Masked with tape.

Temporary on the car to test light output, but it is a scrap bulb.

Congrats on your work.

-chart-

·
N.E. Chapter Moderator
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Well how terrible of me not to give a prompt update.

So, I gave the car a thorough cleaning inside, and WOW did it clean up extremely nice. Never fails... any car I buy... the previous owner spills some kind of soda or coffee everywhere. For having 140k on the body, this thing is NICE! Yeah, yeah... wood shifter is gone.. do not worry.

Before is on Left, Right is the proper color. That was after a proper scrubbing.... I spent hours on it.

It does need some more work, but it is now legal... in SC. ;) It will eventually need a radiator... stupid coolant leak. But the new flex pipe is on!!

DURATEC WOO

After I got it back to my place, I gave it a thorough washing outside too. This car has been sitting underneath a tree for a while (previous owner's fault) and had a ton of dirt and crap all over the place.

Well here are a few before pictures.

And here is a nice shape 2005 Sable LS platinum with awful wheels that are being removed very soon.

The Fusion has been demoted from daily driver status... a little jealous...

So yep. There you have it. Put about 300 miles on it so far! :):)

·
N.E. Chapter Moderator
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Not for sale :)

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
It drives really well. It just has the beginning of driver side outer tie rod needing replacement, little play. Otherwise, ball joints are good, other tie rods good. Car ride height is good. Trans shifts well. AC is COLD. Heat is hot. All the functions work. You really stole the car. It drives and handles well.

·
N.E. Chapter Moderator
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Merry Christmas Everyone!!!

Just an update on the car. Just rolled 142k on the body during my trip from South Carolina to Syracuse, NY. Got a good 26.2mpg with this car, and it handled it like a champ. I love having this car... funny how an intended flip car turns into my daily.

I transferred all of my LEDs from my old 2006 Taurus over to this, and purchased some Philips LEDs since I do not need resistors in this application. I recommend these... very well made and DOT approved.

Oh, and since my last update, I put a set of nicer wheels on it. SHO chrome.

Also, while I am in Syracuse, I plan on swapping over my old Polk Audio speakers that I had in my 2006. They complement the Mach system well...

Here are some photos for your enjoyment.

After a good cleaning:

The LEDs:

Back in NY:

·
TCCA Facebook Admin
3,981 Posts
Nice lookin car, Paul! You wouldn't need resistors anyways, just get a Tridon EP26 LED Flasher Relay to replace your original flasher relay.

·
N.E. Chapter Moderator
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Thanks! I use Griot's products. The interior cleaner and a microfiber with some elbow grease.

And yes for 2004-2005 I am pretty sure the only Sables to come with a spoiler were the Platinum Editions.

The car is still kicking up here in snowy and salty NY. Heading back to warm SC soon!

·
N.E. Chapter Moderator
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Update time!!! I know... I do not come on here like I used to.

So this car is still running and driving pretty well. It has 148550 miles. Over the last few months, it has gotten the following:

A newish radiator out of a junkyard SHO that took care of the leaky one.
New Sway bar links to get rid of the clunky old ones.
New inner and outer Tie Rod ends + Alignment.

Coming soon:
New Bank 2 Catalytic Converter to take care of the P0430 (Bank 2 below threshold). As it stands, it is SC friendly with the code since there is no inspection or emission testing here, but when the car goes back to NY to do winter duty, it has to pass inspection and emissions. Plus, I cannot have that darn CEL on any longer!!!

Adjustable Pedals are ready to be installed. Will be getting to that soon so I can actually enjoy them!

Needs a transmission service ASAP. Starting to get a little shudder.. hoping new fluid takes care of it.

Oh, and I seafoamed it too. Smoothed out the idle a little bit.

So yep... this old Sable is still going.... and it has a Fusion to keep it company.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Update time!!! I know... I do not come on here like I used to.

So this car is still running and driving pretty well. It has 148550 miles. Over the last few months, it has gotten the following:

A newish radiator out of a junkyard SHO that took care of the leaky one.
New Sway bar links to get rid of the clunky old ones.
New inner and outer Tie Rod ends + Alignment.

Coming soon:
New Bank 2 Catalytic Converter to take care of the P0430 (Bank 2 below threshold). As it stands, it is SC friendly with the code since there is no inspection or emission testing here, but when the car goes back to NY to do winter duty, it has to pass inspection and emissions. Plus, I cannot have that darn CEL on any longer!!!

Adjustable Pedals are ready to be installed. Will be getting to that soon so I can actually enjoy them!

Needs a transmission service ASAP. Starting to get a little shudder.. hoping new fluid takes care of it.

Oh, and I seafoamed it too. Smoothed out the idle a little bit.

So yep... this old Sable is still going.... and it has a Fusion to keep it company.

Nobody really does, lol. I'm praying for ya that the trans service makes the lockup issue go away.

·
N.E. Chapter Moderator
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I have not been very active on here in a long time... funny how life gets in the way of leisure. This car is still kicking, and now that I have moved back to NY (not really sure why), this car will continue to be my daily beater.

Since I have not updated my progress in almost a year, I figure I can throw down a little update. The car now has 158k miles and the engine runs perfectly.

As mentioned before, the bank 2 cat needed replacing, so that was done shortly after my last post. No more CEL for emissions. That was done at 149k miles.

Adjustable pedals were added in at some point along the way last year. The switch is located on the cluster surround like any 2003+ car. Nice to have, and seemed to be the only decontented thing I lacked over a 2004 version of my car. I still have all the other decontented stuff like glove box light and ash tray light since it was an early enough 2005.

The car has been whacked a couple times on the corners by other inconsiderate people... but for a 12 year old car, I am not that worried. Did a quick fix and you can barely tell. May go back later and respray bumpers, but for now, we continue on.

The optima red top battery finally went as it had an expanded cell so it was only sitting around 12.2v. Found a dated blue top for $20 from work and have had no issues since.

I finally had enough of the worn struts and the awful handling of the car, and at 157k, it was time to upgrade. I purchased new KYB complete strut assemblies for the front, and Motorcraft 2000-2003 strut cartridges for the rear. Moog Cargo Coils for a Gen 2 are the springs I used. While in there, I also made sure to add a sway bar, but instead of just adding, I upgraded. I used SHO 24/26mm sway bars on the car (Thanks Bull Geek!) and wow what a difference. The driver side wheel cylinder was leaking as well, and it was time to upgrade rear brakes. The car had original drums on still!!! I opted for a 1996 Taurus rear disc set up. The car is much more even in braking, and the handling is so much more improved. Ride is a little harsher as to be expected, but having three adults in the back barely moves the ride height.

One note... the 2005 has an active ABS sensor, so therefore, the 1996 sensors WILL NOT work. I had to retrofit the new sensors into the old spindle by drilling new holes in the 2005 sensors.

The car is still down in SC at the moment. As I got tied up with the move to NY, it is getting a new muffler put on before it makes its trip up to NY in July (Thanks again, Bull Geek!). The transmission shudder is getting worse, and as I see it, I just upgraded a bunch, and I genuinely like the car, so I am have a transmission rebuild done on it at Johnson's Transmission in Lugoff, SC before Nick brings it up for me. I plan to have the car several more years and will limit its salt exposure to prolong its life.

So not sure if I missed anything, but that is what the Sable has been up to. Once it is back up in NY, it will serve as my work car/ daily beater for the miles to pile up on. I want to see just how many miles I can put on this thing, considering the reality is that it is not worth anything anymore. The Fusion will continue to be the baby that I enjoy on weekends.

Attachments

21 - 38 of 38 Posts