Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I turned the key on my 97 LX Duratec with the PATS Transponder Key, the idiot lights all came on but nothing else happened. I searched the forums and learned how to remove and replace the tumbler. No difference.

On a whim, I decided to put the original key in the ignition with the tumbler removed. The car cranked, but wouldn't start. I figured the tumbler was the problem, so I bought a new one from Advanced Auto.

Further search of the forums told me that the 96 -97 could be reset without taking the car to Ford or a locksmith. Unfortunately, I couldn't go through the whole sequence of turning the car on and off, because the new tumbler didn't fix the problem.

I decided to put the original key in the ignition again, with the tumbler removed, and the car started. Of course, I had no way to shut it off, so I pulled the fuel pump fuse and disconnected the battery because the switch apparently stays in the run position.

So, here is my dilemma. After reconnecting the battery, I can start my car with the key but no tumbler. I tried a non-transponder tumbler from a different Taurus, with the same result as the original and new tumbler. Nothing.

What is the problem? I have found info about pulling the column, but I don't want to do that when I don't actually know what the problem is.

I would just continue to rig it for a while, until I find the answer, but this is my wife's car and she would prefer to have a key. Help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ignition Switch Actuator Bypass

Well, I have spent the past 24 hours searching for an answer to my problem and it appears to be a broken actuator rod. Since it's 22 degrees outside and I don't feel like replacing a steering column in the driveway, I bypassed the whole thing like riverdude suggested in this link. http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/82-maintenance-repair/153191-95-ignition-actuator-rod-replacement.html

As he said, I need the key in the ignition to start the car, even though it just spins in the cylinder, but at least I can start my car and shut it off without pulling the fuel pump fuse.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Starter actuator rod in column

Well, I have spent the past 24 hours searching for an answer to my problem and it appears to be a broken actuator rod. Since it's 22 degrees outside and I don't feel like replacing a steering column in the driveway, I bypassed the whole thing like riverdude suggested in this link. http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/82-...191-95-ignition-actuator-rod-replacement.html

As he said, I need the key in the ignition to start the car, even though it just spins in the cylinder, but at least I can start my car and shut it off without pulling the fuel pump fuse.
Mr. Irkutski
My 02 Taurus has the same problems, I replaced the lock assembly and the actuator connection box under the column. With on good results.
The post on the top of switch box was very hard to move. The post felt as if there was dirt at the start position. It would start the from there and turn the engine off by moving the switch to the rear. I can see the actuator rod move when I turn the key, But it does not move the post on the switch. The end of the rod must have a hole or keeper that traps the post on the switch. I think that is what has broken. I have two questions for you. Is this the same problem and where did you find the part?
Thanks Jerry

1 - 3 of 3 Posts