Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member, great forum all. I have an 02 Merc Sable Wagon 3.0 U code. I was having a PATS issue with the car. I took it to dealer as last resort. They called and initially said the ignition cylinder and transceiver was bad. $725.00. I pushed back and asked why they suggested replacing the cylinder when it operated fine. The guy called me back a few minutes later and said, it does work fine, it was just the transceiver bad. New costs 525.00. So they replace the transceiver and he calls me back the next day and says, oddly enough the PCM is also bad and there was no way to tell it was bad until after the transceiver was replaced.

Now to me that sounds like a mis diagnosed problem the first time and they are trying to hook me for both. So my question is this, is it true that you cannot diagnose a PATS prob with the PCM if the transceiver in not functioning correctly. It seems like the chances of both of them going bad at the exact same time are slim.

Thanks guys!

·
Super Moderator
8,863 Posts
^^^^ +1

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
What kind of issues are you having with the PATS system in the car? The guy is full of it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The no start, flashing theft light. They had to order the PCM so he called me this morning to tell me it was done. He said he looked and verified the transceiver was "broken". My response I am sure it is after they removed it from the car! I have gone through bulletins and from what I can tell there is no reason the PCM could not have been diagnosed if the transceiver was not operating correctly. And really no part of me buys that both parts happened to go bad at the exact same time.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
If the vehicle is now running OK, I guess congrats, but I hope you don't make repeat visits to whatever this dealer is. However, if the problem comes back up...

I remember 1 or 2 people posting on here about a chaffed or nearly broken wire that ran out of the PCM connector, on that harness/collection of wires, that somehow got damaged during vehicle maintenance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.