Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see this on a lot of home speakers and wondered if anyone's ever tried it in a car. Anyone had a passive radiator sub box setup? How did it sound? I am thinking its just unfeasible due to the extra space needed, but anyone tried it?

·
Registered
746 Posts
its pretty much the same principle as porting a box... well, the end results are similar anyways.

it would work in a car, but there are a few issues. 1st off, it would take more space as you said, secondly, you would need to look out that nothing in the trunk touches the PR.

like i said, it can be done, but you will be better off porting.

·
Registered
85 Posts
No, personally i have not tried it. I think the design requires a sub designed for that type of setup. Kenwood(car, not home) has one of those sub/amp in one unit packages that uses the passive radiator. I'm sure there must be some benefit to it, but due to space restrictions in a car, I'd bet that most companies dont think there is a market for it and do not produce subs to work that way.

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
ok...i'm lost. someone want to explain a passive radiator sub to me please? I know that Infiniti makes the basslink, is that what you're talking about?

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
If you need an idea what a passive radiator is.. look at the kenwood woox ... that has a passive radiator... it's basically a non powered sub that is moved with air pressure...

I have thought about it, but i dont see how it could sound too much better...but i dunno

·
Registered
746 Posts
not the basslink. there really isnt a "passive radiator sub" at all, it is a type of enclosure. but there are certain speakers that work better with a PR than others, but thats true of every woofer/enclosure.

the best way to imagine a passive rariator is to picture a subwoofer, but take away the motor and the voice coil, so all you are left with is the basket, suspension, and cone/dustcap. this is put in a sealed box with the sub and it moves back and forth with the sub. it acts kind of like a second sub, but different. end results are identcal to porting, but you dont lose transient response like you do with a ported box(you lose a little, but not too much). passive radiators are also tuned to different subs/enclosures, just like ports. its basically a better[I/] alternative to porting, but it has its negative points.

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
i dunno, that seems kinda goofy. it seems that there would have to be a lot of pressure to make that sub make a sound... but if you can make the setup work in a car i think it would be awesome. nobody else has one i bet

·
Registered
746 Posts
i dunno, that seems kinda goofy. it seems that there would have to be a lot of pressure to make that sub make a sound...[/b]
you gotta understand how much pressure builds up inside boxes... there is tons of pressure, even in a ported box the air pressure is huge. my SPL set up made 3/4" MDF flex about an inch, that that was insane, in a ported box.

there is alot of pressure in there, plus a PR is usually more compliant than a speaker. it is a weird concept, but it works very well.

·
Registered
292 Posts
passive radiators have their time and place. Kicker used to make a whole line of auto boxs with PR's in them. Down to a small box for behind the seat in a reg cab s-10 that had a 4" woofer and 6" PR in it. the + is you can "cheat" and get a big more output from a smaller box and it also "tightens" the bass...the -...you have to throw a lot more power to the box..
With woofer tech. at the point it is now the PR has fallen by the wayside but there are a few "old school" guys on the circuit that still use them

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
I rigged up a PR system in my car. I had a sealed enclosure for 2 12"s but I only have one Rockford HE DVC, I also had this monster of a sub not sure where it came from. The rubber surround was like 2 1/2" wide, the magnet was about 4" deep and it had a coil on it about 3", resistance of about 32 ohms so I couldn't hook i up. I used it as a passive radiator and it sounded ok. However I attempted this again using the same box, a 12" Type s and an old MTX sub and I had problems with the MTX bottoming out.

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
the box couldn't have two chambers though... that's the only thing. a lot of premade boxes now are dual chambered. Still a cool idea though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts