Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if its possible to install a passenger power seat in a gen 4? Maybe use the drivers side power rack or something. Any ideas?

·
Registered
374 Posts
The connector for power seats should already be there on the passenger side. I know it was there on my 2003 SE. It was a bright yellow connector and was secured under the stock non-power seat with dead-end connector.

·
Premium Member
4,467 Posts
yellow connector is air bag connected on a metal bracket to the seat.

i believe the connector on my driver side was grey for power.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
That's some awesome info. It shouldn't be too hard to switch out the seats then. Can a drivers side seat go into the passenger side pretty easily? There would be an airbag problem I suppose. What about just using a non-airbag seat and a power rack? Is that a possibility?

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
You probably couldnt put a drivers side track on the pass side... Not sure but im gonna say probably not since the seatbelt is on the opposite side and the controls are on the opposite side. You COULD however find a gen IV passenger power seat... My mom had a 2005 Taurus SEL tec with dual power black leather seats.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey pearl drummer i bought a mach rcu from you a month ago. I'm gonna have to check pull-a-part, but there aren't many G4's at those yards. What about a G3 passenger power seat? Do those exist?

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Hey pearl drummer i bought a mach rcu from you a month ago. I'm gonna have to check pull-a-part, but there aren't many G4's at those yards. What about a G3 passenger power seat? Do those exist?
Not sure if G3 power seats exist... Possibly in a loaded SHO? Not sure though... My original 99 Sable LS leather seats were driver only power, and the 98 SHO seats i replaced them with are the same. G3s are wired for power seats on the passenger side it appears though so i suppose its possible. And you bought a mach rcu from me a month ago?? are you the unpaid bidder on ebay?? I don't recall selling any that long ago other than that...

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Power passenger seat was optional on Gen 3 SLOs on high series models.

Gen 4s may not have the always on power lead for the power seat motor in the multipin connector. It may just have the power and wiring provided for the seat belt buckle pretensioner.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Power passenger seat was optional on Gen 3 SLOs on high series models.

Gen 4s may not have the always on power lead for the power seat motor in the multipin connector. It may just have the power and wiring provided for the seat belt buckle pretensioner.
Mine had no power whatsoever. Finally got my seats sorted with wiring. First I mistook the air bag sensor connector for the power seats connector, then I tried tapping into the power and ground wires on the multipin connector. Nothing happened on the seats so I broke out the test light and found there was no power going to any of the wires in the multipin connector. Ultimately I used a fuse tap, ran the power wire under the carpet to the seat and grounded it to one of the seat track bolts. Works perfectly.

Question though, on the SHO seats I have, there were two grey, two-pin connectors secured on the seat frame. I assumed one for the lumbar and one for the seat track motor. I only have one wired up right now and the lumbar and power seat motor work in all positions. So what was this second connector with nothing but two black wires for?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts