Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I replaced both headlamps at the same time, and still the passenger side is too dim. If it is an electrical problem, where should I look? I replaced the fuses and still the same problem. Since the high and low beams are the same bulb, the high beam barely even works on that side. It may be because the headlight bezel is damaged. The plastic is cracked.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the same problem on my '92 SHO. Replaced the socket, all is well. I would change it especially if there was a chance it got wet.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
As mentioned check the socket. But also check the grounds for the headlamps for corrosion.
The HL's get their positive from individual fuses in the engine bay fuse panel by the battery. I would back check the connector with the HL on and see if the positive is low, or the ground is in range. Ground should be ~2-3V higher than the battery ground. The HL's are turned on by grounding in the cabin and a 20G wire goes out to the HL, driver's side first then to the pas side. That wire is expected to drop the volts from ~14 when running to 11.8 at the HL, effective volts. You have a hard positive and reducing ground so you should see the ground at low beams 2-3V above battery ground. That should tell you which supply is defective. If all is good at the connector outside the lamp, it is a connection inside the lamp.
If it is a ground issue, you should NOT have both high and low beams weak visible before starting checking. They have separate ground wires from the MFS. Highly unlikely both are bad.
-chart-

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
5 Participants
chartmaker
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing