Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
i may be wrong but it appears to be part of the brake bias system..

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
Proportioning valve. It adjusts the brake bias dependant on weight.

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
what year was that put in? my sable doesnt have it... so i would assume 2001?

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
what year was that put in? my sable doesnt have it... so i would assume 2001? [/b]
Actually, it was an earlier thing. I didnt think that G4s had them at all. Mine doesnt.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
<div class='quotemain'> what year was that put in? my sable doesnt have it... so i would assume 2001? [/b]
Actually, it was an earlier thing. I didnt think that G4s had them at all. Mine doesnt.
[/b][/quote]
I thought I remember Mark saying that non-ABS G4s have that valve...

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'> what year was that put in? my sable doesnt have it... so i would assume 2001? [/b]
[/b][/quote]
I thought I remember Mark saying that non-ABS G4s have that valve... [/b][/quote]

Ahh, makes sense. I don't see the abs sensor wire there or the clips that hold it on the control arm.

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
oh ok i see i guess i never would have even thought of that

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just to confirm....my G4 is in fact a 2001 (LX) with no ABS.

Proportioning valve. Interesting. Thanks for all the replies!

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
what year was that put in? my sable doesnt have it... so i would assume 2001?[/b]

uh, "put in" in 1986

for the record, the 93 SHO in the drive, has one of these AND abs.

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
i didnt know... my sable is the first of my taurus' that i have ever had to do brake work on

·
Registered
1 Posts
To answer your question... this is a brake bias mechanism for non ABS automobiles. It adjusts the braking power of the rear based upon weight,,, hence the lower the car sits the more rear braking power will be applied.

·
Registered
22,988 Posts
All 5 of my gen3 tec sedans have the rear load-sensing prop. valve. Abs, non-abs, disc or drum, doesn't matter. Iirc, station wagons have a stationary prop. valve mounted up front under the master cylinder/booster area on firewall.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hummm.... proportioning valve.

I had to replace one of the brake lines on my 97 Taurus the other day and was wondering what it was.

Mine seems to be in poor condition due to road salt and corrosion. There's a fair amount of rust on the spring & shaft going into the block. I really ought to replace it while i'm changing out the rear hoses & brake lines this summer.

Does anyone know if it's a dealer part or how to set the adjustment after it's been replaced ?

Thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts