Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm looking to install a Parrot Bluetooth kit in either my '98 or '02 or both and I was wondering if anyone has done this? Some cars have a plug n play kit available that will allow you to install the unit without cutting any wires but unfortunately, the rear mounted radio unit precludes this so if I want to install it, it looks like I'll need to do some wiring so just wondering if anyone has done this and has some help or hints. Also, if you did this, which model did you install?

·
Registered
150 Posts
There are two ways to do this, Parrot's way and the "best" way. Doing it the Parrot way, you will need some aftermarket speaker harnesses for the RCU. You will wire the Parrot in-line with the speakers. The Parrot will be invisible while listening to the factory stereo, but will interrupt the speaker wires using it's built-in 6-watt amplifier when a call comes in.

The "best" way is to look up the thread by madscientist regarding true pre-amp outputs from the RCU. He and I had discussed (and finalized) a way to utilize the built-in cell phone function of the Ford factory stereo using the Parrot's pre-amp output and "mute" function. When a call comes in, the Parrot would send a signal to the RCU which would display "Call" (or whatever Ford originally intended) on your stereo display, and the call would come through the speakers. You could also stream music from your phone using the Parrot.

You would need one more device to make this work: An FRDR-AUX (or similar) to supply an AUX input to your factory RCU.

Even if you don't go this route, the discussion in that thread regarding Parrot may be informative. I was set to do this, but my Bull's engine developed major coolant leaks (multiple freeze-plug failure). Most likely, I am done with this car as it will probably not be worth the repair (and the MKX looks interesting).

edit: I've linked the start of that discussion. Read on if interested.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts