Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just so that I know what I'm getting into before I (down the road a ways) fix the car.......

My parking brake doesn't hold. I discovered that when I was changing my tires back in March. I had the brake set, and went to do one of the back tires, thinking that when I hauled on the lug wrench, the wheel wouldn't move (it did). A few days later, I set the brake, and tried to move forward in the driveway (it did, with very little resistance).

I don't drive the car much, but a few weeks back I took it for a longer drive. On that drive, I could smell something rather hot, and when I got home, the left rear wheel had heat radiating off it. While I was driving, the ABS light came on every time I braked.

Car in question is my '95 GL, with ABS and rear discs (among other options not relevant to this problem).

QUESTION: Does the parking brake use the rear discs? Or are there separate drums for the parking brake? I ask, because I know something is dragging. How much of a brake job am I in for? I'm assuming it's the parking brake that is dragging. Do I need to replace my rear discs, pads, and calipers? Or can I just get under, and back off the parking brake somehow, and call it a day?

·
Registered
10,028 Posts
Rear discs stick when older and rusting. All Bulls use rear wheel parking brake.
My check is this. Cold car sitting couple hours. Start and drive around the block a few times, turning both directions and using the brakes over and over at modest speeds. Then check all 4 wheel for heat. Fronts should be equal, rears equal but not as hot as the fronts. Do not touch the rotors/drums, just feel the heat. My wagon, ~120F fronts, ~100F on rear discs. I did this with '11 Buick Lucerne, used 59K miles, dealer just put on new discs and pads. I had one front clearly hotter than it's mate. I checked and it had a stuck guide pin. Wonder how a "tec" could put new pads on and get that stuck pin to move. Use a hammer? Takes a very large amount of gasoline to wear out a brake.
-chart-

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rear discs stick when older and rusting. All Bulls use rear wheel parking brake.
My check is this. Cold car sitting couple hours. Start and drive around the block a few times, turning both directions and using the brakes over and over at modest speeds. Then check all 4 wheel for heat. Fronts should be equal, rears equal but not as hot as the fronts. Do not touch the rotors/drums, just feel the heat. My wagon, ~120F fronts, ~100F on rear discs. I did this with '11 Buick Lucerne, used 59K miles, dealer just put on new discs and pads. I had one front clearly hotter than it's mate. I checked and it had a stuck guide pin. Wonder how a "tec" could put new pads on and get that stuck pin to move. Use a hammer? Takes a very large amount of gasoline to wear out a brake.
-chart-
If I remember correctly from when I had the wheels off in March, the rear discs aren't rusty. There was a bit of a squeal from the brakes when I took it for that long drive, but when I moved it in the driveway yesterday, there was no squeal.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@Jeff K Much as I appreciate Chart's answer, it doesn't tell me what I need to know. Is there a separate drum for the parking brake in behind my rear discs?

·
Registered
10,028 Posts
Disc parking brake is done with a lever on the caliper that activates the piston.
The big spring in the picture retracts the lever. It self adjusts with a thread inside the piston.
Sometimes the lever fails to return and drags the pads. New caliper is the only solution. BUT maybe the cable sticking also.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,110 Posts
Had the park brake lever on the caliper sticking on one side (forget which side) about 10 years ago on my 88 Tbird Turbo Coupe. Tried lubing the lever up. Didnt work. Replaced calipers on both sides. Been fine ever since.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Had the park brake lever on the caliper sticking on one side (forget which side) about 10 years ago on my 88 Tbird Turbo Coupe. Tried lubing the lever up. Didnt work. Replaced calipers on both sides. Been fine ever since.
Thanks. I was afraid of that. I could potentially be doing calipers, pads and discs on both sides. But since I've put only about 60 miles on the car since I got it, I might get off lucky, and just be doing calipers. The pads were pretty much brand new when I got the car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts