Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 taurus se, 3.0L dohc V6. The parking brake light appeared last night, even though i haden't put it on. I had been driving in deep snow before that. The car now only has front brakes and the pedal goes almost all the way to the floor before the brakes work. I have not checked the brake fluid yet, will tomorrow morning.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're low on brake fluid (more likely, you're low on brake pad). That light acts as a brake system failure light as well as parking brake indicator.
[/b]
Just had new pads on all 4 cornors and 2 new rear disks put on in august of last year.

·
Registered
953 Posts
could also be the sensor/connection sticking in the driver's side cabin. If you use your foot ebrake and pull the release lever and the light stays on, just spray some WD-40 up around the sensor and work it around to dislodge it.

The senosr/connector is just a metal rod style that when it is pushed up makes a connection and thus illuminates the brake light. If this metal rod get's stuck, then the light will stay on.

I had this issue a little ways back. The WD-40 worked like a charm.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
could also be the sensor/connection sticking in the driver's side cabin. If you use your foot ebrake and pull the release lever and the light stays on, just spray some WD-40 up around the sensor and work it around to dislodge it.

The senosr/connector is just a metal rod style that when it is pushed up makes a connection and thus illuminates the brake light. If this metal rod get's stuck, then the light will stay on.

I had this issue a little ways back. The WD-40 worked like a charm.
[/b]
The plungers are usually stuck off because the ebrake is usually always disengaged which forces the plunger "inside" and wears out the ability for the plunger to spring out when the brake is on... The only time the light would be on for the ebrake is when it's engaged (and everything works as it should) or if the switch is broken for some reason...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I put in a bunch of fluid and the brake pedal would be firm for a few seconds and then go back to being really soft. I put more in after that, but i have not driven it since. When firm the back breaks would work again as well.

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
Sounds like you've got a blown brake line. I had a blown brake line. It wasn't fun. Luckily, I already knew the lines were weak and leaking so I was prepared for it to happen at any moment. I was getting ready to fix it, so I had all the stuff ready.

But, being inexperienced, I made too many mistakes, the car sat in the driveway for days while I used the little time I had in the morning before school, and finally, I just took it to a shop, because as much as it was a learning experience for me, I couldn't keep my only car sitting in the driveway forever while I used my brothers car.

Next time I attempt to replace half the brake lines in my car, I'm gonna make sure I have access to a lift, and I'm gonna use sections of brake line with unions rather than screw around with one big coil of brake line.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Sounds like you've got a blown brake line. I had a blown brake line. It wasn't fun. Luckily, I already knew the lines were weak and leaking so I was prepared for it to happen at any moment. I was getting ready to fix it, so I had all the stuff ready.

But, being inexperienced, I made too many mistakes, the car sat in the driveway for days while I used the little time I had in the morning before school, and finally, I just took it to a shop, because as much as it was a learning experience for me, I couldn't keep my only car sitting in the driveway forever while I used my brothers car.

Next time I attempt to replace half the brake lines in my car, I'm gonna make sure I have access to a lift, and I'm gonna use sections of brake line with unions rather than screw around with one big coil of brake line.
[/b]
I second this. Somewhere in your brake system you must have a tiny leak:
[] Master Cylinder
[] Brake Lines (front = rubber - usually; back = steel - usually)
[] Front Calipers
[] Rear Drums

If the rear brakes are Drums, I know that there is an actuator (I believe that's what it's called) at the top portion of the dust plate that can leak. This part is actually what pushes out the Shoes against the Drums. IF THIS IS LEAKING, you should be able to see some sort of brake fluid leaking from the drums (look from the back-inside of the car or take your wheels off).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]
I second this. Somewhere in your brake system you must have a tiny leak:
[] Master Cylinder
[] Brake Lines (front = rubber - usually; back = steel - usually)
[] Front Calipers
[] Rear Drums

If the rear brakes are Drums, I know that there is an actuator (I believe that's what it's called) at the top portion of the dust plate that can leak. This part is actually what pushes out the Shoes against the Drums. IF THIS IS LEAKING, you should be able to see some sort of brake fluid leaking from the drums (look from the back-inside of the car or take your wheels off).
[/b][/quote]

It is defiantly something with only the rear breaks. The front brakes work fine by themselves, except on snow. I have to take it somewhere to have it done. I don't have any of the tools or the time to work on it by myself.

·
Registered
953 Posts
i just re-read through this post. I noticed that you have Rear Discs... sorry about not reading before so....

There is either a leak in the line or in the caliper. If there is one in the line you should see moisture around the area of the steel line. If you want to test your calipers, I know they make a pressure plate for testing Caliper pressure. I would take a look into purchasing or even renting one of these tools to figure out if it is one side versus the other or even both sides that are weak.

Brake Pressuer Testing

If you want to skip this, it sounds like the other thing you have left is either a bad Master Cylinder (not putting out the right amount of fluid to the rear brakes) or bad rear Calipers.

That's the only 2 things I can think of right now, minus no leaks in the lines.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i just re-read through this post. I noticed that you have Rear Discs... sorry about not reading before so....

There is either a leak in the line or in the caliper. If there is one in the line you should see moisture around the area of the steel line. If you want to test your calipers, I know they make a pressure plate for testing Caliper pressure. I would take a look into purchasing or even renting one of these tools to figure out if it is one side versus the other or even both sides that are weak.

Brake Pressuer Testing

If you want to skip this, it sounds like the other thing you have left is either a bad Master Cylinder (not putting out the right amount of fluid to the rear brakes) or bad rear Calipers.

[/b]
It is probably a leak, i can't check myself because i don't have a garage and it is the middle of winter.(lots of snow and cold). I also wouldn't be able to repair it myself.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts

It is probably a leak, i can't check myself because i don't have a garage and it is the middle of winter.(lots of snow and cold). I also wouldn't be able to repair it myself.
[/quote]

That's why I'm getting a coolant flush from the dealer! Too damn cold to do it myself.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
5 Participants
mmmfloorpie
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing