Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
First step is to pull fuses one at a time and use a voltmeter to see if there's still current there, with the car off.

If you find one that's hot with the car off, there's your drain...track down that wiring and inspect/fix/replace it.

These can be a long, painful experience to find, but you're better off NOT paying someone else the labor hours to find it.

The most common one I've seen is the trunk light getting stuck on because of a bad wire.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
It may also be the battery. When mine started to lose the ability to hold its charge it almost always needed to be jumped. I had mistaken it for a wiring problem and went mad looking for it. :lol2:

If it's not a new battery see if you can get it checked.

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First step is to pull fuses one at a time and use a voltmeter to see if there's still current there, with the car off.

If you find one that's hot with the car off, there's your drain...track down that wiring and inspect/fix/replace it.

These can be a long, painful experience to find, but you're better off NOT paying someone else the labor hours to find it.

The most common one I've seen is the trunk light getting stuck on because of a bad wire.
Very good . Thank you. New battery. And so it begins.:p

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
Id take it to the dealership or a hardware store and have them test your battery. Takes like 5 mins.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Maybe he meant auto parts store. :D

Autozone or Advanced will do a free load test on the battery, I'd recommend Autozone because if you DO need a new battery, their Duralast battery is one of the best you can buy. I have one in each of my cars.

·
Registered
23,352 Posts
Click search feature up top and type in: parasitic battery drain. Shoz123 and Jeff K. have written how-to tutorials on this. Might be something in the topic finder, too?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts