Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am replacing the pan gasket on my '02 Vulcan (U) engine. Have the procedure as outlined on AllData but want to know what gaskets will I need. From the diagrams it appears the in and out gaskets of the cat assembly. I see several listed @ rockauto.com but don't know which to get.
Thanks.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Since I never got a comment on my post I will make one about it. I did the R&R oil pan gasket over last weekend, took 6 hours. I used the step by step instructions from All Data and found that the exhaust Y pipe does not have to be completely removed as explained. I removed all the bolts connecting it to the headers which left it loose enough to move around out of the way as I maneuvered the pan around to get it down. ALL of the exhaust gaskets are reusable, a good feature. The local Ford dealership didn't have them in stock, that gave me a clue they were good at least a 2nd time.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
OK, good feedback, so did you get your gasket problem resolved????
Might be helpful & interesting to know who's pan gasket you used & how well it worked, like did it lay flat on the pan right out of the box & how did the pan deposits look for the engine oil used & mileage on the engine????

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gasket problem resolved, yes. Bought a Fel-Pro for just over $20 at an independent auto pts store. The Fel-Pro was molded stiff w/clips to hold in place during install and it laid in place right out of the box. It somewhat clips on to the pan but care is a good idea to see where it is before tightening. Used small amounts of Permatex RTV at the corners.
Would normally not have fixed such a small leak (use drip pan) but it was dripping on the Y pipe with the odor coming in the cabin. I put a bottle of engine stop leak in it a while back that greatly improved the problem but wasn't permanent.
I change oil/filter regularly, using ordinary mineral oil, has over 100,000 miles on it. Pan was clean inside, but did a good wash inside and out. Crankcase was clean under, just stained oil color.
All I have ever done to the vehicle other than normal recommended maintenance is a fuel pump at 95,000, one axle boot and replaced the squeaky cam position sensor driver.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
I've never had to do an engine oil pan gasket, but have tried the re-usable FelPro tranny pan gaskets & found them to be packaged such that they'll lay flat on the pan, right out of the box. Their bolt holes are punched slightly under sized, so we can screw the pan fastners into the gasket, holding them & the gasket in place, on pan installation, a nice feature. Surprised the engine oil pan gasket didn't feature that same design.

Another thought crossed my mind on the pan leak. If you didn't find a problem with the old pan lip sealing surface, engine block, or the old gasket where it was leaking & with the mileage on your ride, be sure to check/replace the PCV valve if it hasn't been done. If it's sticking closed & or you have higher than normal blow by from worn rings, it can cause undue lower end over pressure that can cause seal & or gasket weeps/leaks, so you wouldn't want to pop that nice new FelPro pan gasket!!!!

OK, so mineral oil with regular maintenance, has kept the bottom end & pan clean, that probably means the top end is likely clean also.
Would be interesting to know whos mineral oil you've been using.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The old gasket was brittle, small amount of pressure and it snapped like a dry twig. I don't think it was a problem w/PCV, I have kept close watch on that, replaced it twice. I also give it a squirt of carb cleaner couple times a year. I know that people have traded vehicles with less wrong than a gasket but I've been stubborn enough to keep the car like new. I also think that keeping it garaged makes a big difference.
The new Fel-Pro had plastic clips formed into the gasket that clipped it to the pan. With all the maneuvering I had to do to get it past the Y pipe and oil pick up I was concerned that it might slip off but stayed in place. I never noticed the holes being like you explained. I've drained, replaced the filter, and refilled my transmission every 30,000, and reused the FMC OEM gasket. If I remember correctly it is stamped into the gasket that it is reusable.
I haven't stayed w/one brand of oil w/this car but I have changed every 3000 mi. I used to be a Valvoline guy then a Quaker St but I've used about anything and never used anything but a Fram, Ford, or Purolator filter. Guy at Wal Mart one time told me their oil was from Standard Oil, they guarantee it to be good quality. I use Wal-Mart Mercon V when I do the transmission.
I did have to replace the cam sensor drive unit a couple years ago. Is not difficult using club instructions and pictures.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts