Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The front bumper cover on my 01 Taurus is cracked and needs replaced.

I can buy a new after market replacement on ebay and install it myself.

My question is should I have it painted before installation or after? Anyone been there done that?

·
Registered
23,581 Posts
Why not try to find a paint-matched one at a pick n pull. Cheaper. Ive done that numerous times with power mirrors.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why not try to find a paint-matched one at a pick n pull. Cheaper. Ive done that numerous times with power mirrors.

Yes that is an option I considered but also wanted some input on painting an after market new cover. Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Painting a Bumper

The front bumper cover on my 01 Taurus is cracked and needs replaced.

I can buy a new after market replacement on ebay and install it myself.

My question is should I have it painted before installation or after? Anyone been there done that?
I'm a journeyman auto painter since 1970.

Yes, you can buy an aftermarket bumper and paint and install it yourself, but it will be kinda hard, depending on where you will be doing it (a friends body shop, garage at home etc) what tools for this kind of job you have.

Paint it off the car, but make sure it fit's properly first or you will scratch it.

Determine what kind of primer is on it, by testing a small area down low: See is water softens it, and if it does don't wet sand. Determine how thick or thin the primer is, and what happens when you sand a test area.

If the sandpaper breaks through immediately to the raw plastic underneath.......only then use a grey scotch brite, because it you go coarser it's going to lift and swell up on you.

Aftermarket plastic bumpers are made of a mish mash of various recycled plastics (old milk cartons and such), to don't waste your time tying to use an exact system approach.
Instead use a good adhesion promoter, followed by a good sealer, then apply a coat of base. Or better yet would be to use single stage, because that will not chew up the sensitive "unknown substrate". Hope this helps.
Mike

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is the info I was looking for. The last car I painted was 10+ years ago when cars had real chrome bumpers. I never got into painting this plastic stuff. I may just keep looking for the right color at the local junk yard. Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
There's shops around that do bumper cover repairs and painting. When I had the Taurus, some idot backed into me, putting a indentation in the rear cover. I got a estimate from a place here to fix it. They quoted me $40 to heat the plastic, push it back out, and to touch up the paint. $120 to take it off, heat it, paint the whole bumper, and make it like new. They color match paint by vin #. I suggest looking up bumper repair in you area, and get some prices first. You want to color match by vin, or the color won't match 100%, and look like crap.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
There's shops around that do bumper cover repairs and painting. When I had the Taurus, some idot backed into me, putting a indentation in the rear cover. I got a estimate from a place here to fix it. They quoted me $40 to heat the plastic, push it back out, and to touch up the paint. $120 to take it off, heat it, paint the whole bumper, and make it like new. They color match paint by vin #. I suggest looking up bumper repair in you area, and get some prices first. You want to color match by vin, or the color won't match 100%, and look like crap.
Color matching by VIN doesn't take into consideration old, weathered paint though. Not all factory paint batches are identical, either, even for the same VIN code. All my Taurus's have been used and well worn, chip matching has always worked for me...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is all good feedback. Gives me options to consider for my repair. Thanks.

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
If you don't plan on investing the money into the supplies to paint a car, then you should probably just find a decent paint shop locally, call them and say you have a new bumper that you need installed and you want a quote for the cost of matching the colour to the car. Ask them if it's easier to have it on the car or paint it off of it, they'll have a preferred way of doing it.

I'm not an expert at painting cars, nor am I a professional autobody man, but I do consider myself an amateur at both and I think I'm correct in saying that if you don't want to learn how to paint and buy the right tools, it'll turn out like crap and you'll be better of taking it to a paint shop. They'll know how to match it up.

Just my thoughts on it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I agree. Painting it would be the better move.. just as long as it finishes like the way it looked like then when it was new. My ford bumper got the same experience and it was quite impressive. Had it replaced and repainted.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts