Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys im going to paint my tan colored interior tomorrow. going with the all black look and for starters im going with the door panels and surrounding trim and eventually the dashboard.

ive search for the past hour and it seems like dupicolor vinyl paint is the way to go, im going to clear with rubbing alcohol to get all the crap off then using the dupi, wet sand and do a LOW gloss clear coat because i dont want everything too shiny.

Id just like some input hear on specifically the steering wheel, and the door handles because of the amount of use that they occur. will i be ok without prepping them? not sure if sanding that material will do anything.

feel free to give tips, im doing the door panels first with the small section in front of the handle red and MAYBE the vents, i dont want to over-rice.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Vinyl dye (paint) is the way to go on the dash and door panels. Your prep plan sounds solid.

However, it will not stay on the steering wheel anywhere other than the face. You're better off swapping wheels or finding a cover to tie it into the rest of the interior.

For parts like vents, gauge surround, etc, I'd use regular spray paint and clearcoat it (you can get matte or glossy clearcoat). I used regular automotive paint on those pieces once before and they looked incredible...like they were painted from the factory. I used a glossy finish on them though.

In a Sable, I wouldn't do a bright red, maybe a darker burgundy shade or a tasteful metallic red. You don't want to cheapen the Sable.

Maybe even this shade of red:

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks man, did you wet sand those trim pieces? thats something i still havent mastered and when i did stuff like my grille and trunk spear i didnt wet sand.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Nothing will stick to any surface that is regularly touched/handled. Krylon Fusion sticks well to PVC/vinyl surfaces also.

·
Registered
27 Posts
advance auto parts sells an interior spray pain that is about $6 a can. i forget the name of it but its the only one they carry. it works great. i painted 2 mustangs and a truck interior with it and it held up great even as a daily driver.

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i just finished prepping tapeing off both door panels and i got 2 cans of plastikote from carquest, black with a light clear built in, says wont peel or rub off but im worried about wear i grab the door.

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
what do you guys think of the progress? keep the dash tan for now to give contrast and i was lazy and didnt want to remove it.

originally wanted to do a red section but it came out way to rice so i repainted it heres the finished door panel

LOOKS AMAZING

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
all done! looks great, just got to get a small micro brush tomorrow and get the little spaces were the tape wasnt done perfect:

·
Registered
18 Posts
looks really good im painting my interior hopefully this weekend ill try and get some pics up of mine when im done thinking of doing two colors have to decide what im gonna do

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Looks good. The only question...what are you doing with the seats. Don't dye them, that rarely comes out or holds up well.

Seat covers?

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Looks pretty good dude!

Pulling the dash would be a pain, but would be worth it in the end.

Only prob with going all black I would say is the temperature in the summer. Leave those windows cracked. lol

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
Haha, looks good man. Your making me have flashbacks here.

Not sure if you remember but i painted my interior from light gray to black back in 06 or so. In my experience you will have a little wear SO just keep a can or 2 for touch ups.

I had 4 main wear areas that i have to attended to every so often. Some of which can be avoided easily:

These 2 are problem areas I have found solutions for

1. If you have a floor shifter center council the seat belt buckles will rub on it. If you have different drivers driving the vehicle, Id suggest applying a piece of felt on the front side of the buckle when it seems to rub.

2. Where you grip the steering wheel will wear. I suggest you get a black leather steering wheel cover.

the next 2 are problem areas I have yet to find solutions for.

3. I have long legs (being that I'm 6'5") every so often I end up kicking my door or scuff plate when getting out of the seat.

4. Where the seat belt retracts it seems to rub on the interiors b pillar.

As far as problem areas that's the only thing I have experienced in the past 5-6 years.

NOW FOR SOME ADDED TIPS!!!!

You don't need to take the dash out to paint it just tape up the windshield or use a piece of card board in between the dash and windshield. Once you finish your interior painting , go to the junk yard and get some black cloth or leather seats!! Also look or some chrome door pulls, handles and woodgrain (or silver ses trim) It will really complete the package.

black and blurwood woodgrain is hot btw. :p ( I haven't found any chrome handles or blurwood woodgrain door switch covers yet.

That's my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i was just about to message you on that actually good looks man.

and the only spot ive had problems with so far is the drivers kick plate like you said i always hit it with my feet and it rips paint off, not sure what im going to do on it yet, ive touched it up once since i did it last week.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
What about getting some adhesive and black carpeting, and cut it out to fit inside the line that runs up to the map pocket, around the reflector and over to the speaker?

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
What about getting some adhesive and black carpeting, and cut it out to fit inside the line that runs up to the map pocket, around the reflector and over to the speaker?
Haha, I'd probably go as far as to "bed liner" that spot and be done with it. Which is an option Ive seriously been considering, if I decide to keep my Taurus.

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ive been good about not hitting my door much but im still not sure what to do about the kick panel i kicked another spot off it today... maybe bed liner or something might work.

also, is there such thing as a steering wheel cover thats SUPER tight? id do that but i dont want the wheel to be any larger than it currently is.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
knott, you should get a WheelSkin. DCCarCare sells 'em. You'll have to stich it on though, or you could get a shop to.

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
^^ wow! those look bad ass, im looking through some pics of some black and red ones, id love to incorporate a bit of red in the interior but i already tried painting a section of my doors red and it was way to ricer bright so hopefully they have a good looking red color.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Haha, looks good man. Your making me have flashbacks here.

Not sure if you remember but i painted my interior from light gray to black back in 06 or so. In my experience you will have a little wear SO just keep a can or 2 for touch ups.

I had 4 main wear areas that i have to attended to every so often. Some of which can be avoided easily:

These 2 are problem areas I have found solutions for

1. If you have a floor shifter center council the seat belt buckles will rub on it. If you have different drivers driving the vehicle, Id suggest applying a piece of felt on the front side of the buckle when it seems to rub.

2. Where you grip the steering wheel will wear. I suggest you get a black leather steering wheel cover.

the next 2 are problem areas I have yet to find solutions for.

3. I have long legs (being that I'm 6'5") every so often I end up kicking my door or scuff plate when getting out of the seat.

4. Where the seat belt retracts it seems to rub on the interiors b pillar.

As far as problem areas that's the only thing I have experienced in the past 5-6 years.

NOW FOR SOME ADDED TIPS!!!!

You don't need to take the dash out to paint it just tape up the windshield or use a piece of card board in between the dash and windshield. Once you finish your interior painting , go to the junk yard and get some black cloth or leather seats!! Also look or some chrome door pulls, handles and woodgrain (or silver ses trim) It will really complete the package.

black and blurwood woodgrain is hot btw. :p ( I haven't found any chrome handles or blurwood woodgrain door switch covers yet.

That's my 2 cents.

Wow, black and burl look amazing together!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts