Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering the best kind of paint to use for painting G4 rims. I want to paint them black and a local guy told me he used black engine enamel paint on his honda prelude rims which i believe are alloy. Will the engine enamel paint ever peel away with time? Is this the best paint to use? Or is there something better?

·
Registered
160 Posts
I live in the great southwest. Cleaned, 5 or 6 coats and cleared and they look great a year and a half later.

I used duplicolor wheel paint and also the rustoleum wheel paint - I recommend the Rustoleum wheel paint.

·
Registered
260 Posts
the best way you are really going to be able to "paint" rims are going to be you sending them to a powder coating factory and paying about $100 a wheel for them to be done the right way. They can even get them to look gloss or matte finish....or whatever color you want. I personally wouldnt suggest using any type of paint product on the market even if its made for high heat

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hmmmmmmmmmmm... alrite thanks for all the feedback guys. I am also going to talk to my grandpa about doing this since he has been doing mechanic work for nearly half a century and im sure he knows a thing or two about painting em. I will post again soon what ive decided to do along with pics shortly after.

Thanks again guys

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
I used the rustolium wheel paint when I painted my SHO rims and had no trouble with them all summer. Just be sure to prep the wheels and keep everything clean when painting them and you shouldnt have any problem. The stock rims are just painted over the alloy rim. If you clean them good and remove ALL wax & dirt, the rustolium paint will work fine. Powder coating rims is not always the best. If you catch a knick, a wheel weight slips, or even the lacky mounting your tires slips that powder coatin is going to chip and then your $100 finish is trashed. If you paint the rims, you can touch it up and it wont be noticable unless your really looking for it.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I used the rustolium wheel paint when I painted my SHO rims and had no trouble with them all summer. Just be sure to prep the wheels and keep everything clean when painting them and you shouldnt have any problem. The stock rims are just painted over the alloy rim. If you clean them good and remove ALL wax & dirt, the rustolium paint will work fine. Powder coating rims is not always the best. If you catch a knick, a wheel weight slips, or even the lacky mounting your tires slips that powder coatin is going to chip and then your $100 finish is trashed. If you paint the rims, you can touch it up and it wont be noticable unless your really looking for it.

of course theres no problem with the paint in the summer then you reach winter and salt destroys them.... if you live in a warm area all year go for it

true about that paint.....

but like knott said what about the salt, road dirt, and chemical thqt gets put out on the roads....theres stuff out there that will eat that paint right off the wheels in no time....i personally would rather powercoat it....better finish than what a person can do with a spray can....imo

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I finally set a date on when i'm painting my rims. March 14-15 I will be spending painting them black along with my door handles and bottom grille front. I've decided to use the rustoleum wheel paint like many of you have suggested. I will post before, during, and after pics hopefully sometime by the evening of the 15th. Thanks again guys for all your help in providing feedback :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.