Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. I have a Gen1 Taurus, with the wood grain dashboard.

What I would like to do is paint the wood grain area. This is my second dash, as I tried to paint it once before with a can of black Rustoleum paint made for metal surfaces, but it bubbled up and was terrible. I tried to remove it but it looked like utter crap. So, I wanted to see what somebody else could suggest. Its almost like its printed on metal, so I'm not sure what direction to take. Do I sand it down, prime it, and paint it? Or did I used the wrong type of paint? Hoping for some ideas.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I can tell you that the dash isn't metal it is plastic. If it was ever wiped down with armor all or any kind of protectant, no paint will adhear to it without proper prep work. The Rustoleum for metal won't work on the plastic dash.

You need to scuff the area, preclean/ prep, then apply adhesion promoter, then use a paint for plastic that will allow for expansion and contraction of the plastic to prevent cracking. Check out these products, http://www.tcpglobal.com/autobodydepot/semccaero.aspx

It should give you a place to start.

I would practice on something before attempting the dash again.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (mh488 @ May 31 2010, 09:50 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=808217
I can tell you that the dash isn't metal it is plastic. If it was ever wiped down with armor all or any kind of protectant, no paint will adhear to it without proper prep work. The Rustoleum for metal won't work on the plastic dash.

You need to scuff the area, preclean/ prep, then apply adhesion promoter, then use a paint for plastic that will allow for expansion and contraction of the plastic to prevent cracking. Check out these products, http://www.tcpglobal.com/autobodydepot/semccaero.aspx

It should give you a place to start.

I would practice on something before attempting the dash again.[/b]
Actually, the dash does have a thin layer of metal on it. I could bend the little tabs and everything off to possibly pull it off, separating it from the plastic.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts