Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i found some cans that say there are made to color youre brake calipers and i was woundering if i need anything else. example something like a clear coat product or should the spray just be enough.

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
Spary is enough, just make sure it's high-temp or brake part specific, and get all the rust and grime off of them first.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
There is also brush on paint that might be easier to use that spray. I think someone used it like a week ago, and said it worked really well. You could also get some Duplicolor paint and paint the calipers the same color as the car, although you'd need to get some high temp clear coat for over the top.

JR

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
Originally posted by godspunk32@Oct 16 2004, 06:11 PM
You could also get some Duplicolor paint and paint the calipers the same color as the car, although you'd need to get some high temp clear coat for over the top.

JR
I wouldn't. Your base will lift the first time you have to brake hard or long, like a panic stop from 60 or following a truck down a hill, and the paint will chip.

Only use high temp paints, and be careful not to spray into the piston area, it will freeze the piston and that brake won't work effectively. Don't paint the rotors, I think someone on here did that before - not smart.

If I see a picture of your car and it has yellow calipers, I'm gonna smack ya. :grin2:

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Your calipers will not get that hot. I just got some new rear calipers and here is how I painted them.

First use some brake cleaner on them ot get any oil and grime off. Then use some primer as the cast iron is not paint friendly. Then I used some engine paint.

Don't worry about them being perfect as they will soon dust up. You want a very glossy paint. And do the brackets too.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Did mine two weekends ago. Took longer to take the tires off than it did to do the actual painting. I used high temp spray paint via the brush method. Just don't go driving around to show off your project right after you've done the painting. Give it some time to dry. I let my car sit for 24+ hours before its first drive.

Derek

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
well i snagged a nice set of rear spindles off ebay with rebuilt calipers included, i am going to need to paint the calipers so they dont rust. my only question to add to this thread is what about masking? can i just paint everything or are there specific things i should mask off first? i know someone said to mask the piston, anything else? thanks!

·
Registered
3,551 Posts

Not the best picture since it's with my phone, but I sandblasted and painted the brackets black and am going to wait until spring time to paint the calipers gold.

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
I painted my brackets and calipers gold with High temp engine paint and they still look good.

Mike
B)

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
oh man gold calipers plus blue gen 4 lowered with rims!!! thats gonna look sweet!

i painted mine yesterday but i didnt have enough time in the shop to get the brackets done i only did the calipers, and im gunna do the brackets monday.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I bought new shoes for the SHO that I plan on painting, i did get the brush on caliper paint but have yet to do any work, but since they're off the car it obviously will make it alot easier to approach this at different angles. But I would think with the brush paint and new calipers it wouldn't take much prep work other than cleaning, either way I make sure I'll take some pics of the finish product.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts