Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read in some forum that painting your calipers/drums can actually help keep them from corroding. Is this true? If so, is this with some special metallic-adhesive paint? Pleaes give me details. Then again, this may be posted elsewhere. If so, call me a dumbass and tell me to search for it in the forums. :)

I really dislike how the caliper is so noticable on my bull. Plus it's a bit corroded. I rotated my tires a few days ago (and removed my intake silencer! GOOD GOD where does the air come from with that thing on? :D) and was sort of curious as to what it meant if i could take chips off of the brake calipers (ummm maybe caliper isn't the right word...the area that you can see easily behind the tire rim).

·
Registered
233 Posts
Painting calipers can stop them from corroding I think; there was just a post on it recently but I can't find it anymore....it was like within the past month too.

Oh found it....here

to what it meant if i could take chips off of the brake calipers (ummm maybe caliper isn't the right word...the area that you can see easily behind the tire rim).
I don't get which part of the wheel/brakes your talking about
http://members.optusnet.com.au/julian_wozniak/bmw3.jpg' alt='' width='640' height='480' class='attach' />[/url]
Is it the Disc, which is really visible behind the wheel, or the heat shield, or something all together different.

Julian

·
Registered
18 Posts
If the rust is just on the rotor it really isnt a big deal, in fact it happens all the time just because the bare metal is exposed.

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
DON'T PAINT YOUR ROTORS! This will gum up your pads, cause slippage, etc. Leave the rotor faces alone.

The drums you can paint, the calipers you can paint. There's a special high temp paint you can use for brakes.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
If you paint the entire rotor, it's just going to wear off. There isn't any point to it, and you might end up screwing up your pads. The only thing that would really prevent rust on the rotors would be to have it zinc coated. The pain would be gone within the first ten miles of use and you'd be experiencing terrible braking problems during those ten miles and in the miles afterwards, because the paint would have transferred onto the pads.

JR

·
Registered
74 Posts
You paint the calipers and the brackets that hold them. The paint will give the car a nice look while protetcting against corrosion. The rotors are the discs that the pads come in contact with - you DON'T paint them! The drums also show through the 5 spoke wheels and need paint. Some advise to paint with VHT high temperature paint. I just used Rust O Leum. If it doesn't hold up, what have I lost? I can always do them over. It was also recommended that the parts should be cleaned with a solvent. I think the solvent might corrode the parts even more, but that's just an opinion. I painted my calipers and brackets red. I'll either paint the drums red too or maybe go with blue. On a silver car, both work well.

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Not likely. The factory paints the drums black and every aftermarket brake kit usually has several colors available for the calipers.

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Well, both my calipers and caliper brackets are painted. The drums are as well, and the rear disc conversion im doing sees both the brackets and calipers painted as well. Everything is low gloss black. It looks damn good. Used 3 cans of VHT brand caliper paint. Purchased at autozone for about $6 a can.

Looks damn good to me. Black is the way to go. Everything else will get dirty and look crappy. Silver may be the only other way I would go.

Im not gonna do them neon green or something rediculous and ricey like that. Stick to darker colors and dont do anything loud (screaming yellow, fire engine red). After all, its a taurus, not a civic :p

-Damon

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Originally posted by TrueBlue@Jun 17 2004, 08:33 AM
DON'T PAINT YOUR ROTORS! This will gum up your pads, cause slippage, etc. Leave the rotor faces alone.

The drums you can paint, the calipers you can paint. There's a special high temp paint you can use for brakes.
Yup, I found that out the hard way. Luckily, everything was under warranty, and I didnt have to pay a dime. If anything, you can paint the part of the rotor with the holes drilled for the wheel studs. Next time im going to wait till they get a little rusted, then I will hit them with a bit of rustoleum.

Just make sure you tape off the actual part of the rotors your pads come in contact with!!!

-Damon

G

·
Originally posted by duratecchie@Jun 27 2004, 01:14 PM
Well, both my calipers and caliper brackets are painted. The drums are as well, and the rear disc conversion im doing sees both the brackets and calipers painted as well. Everything is low gloss black. It looks damn good. Used 3 cans of VHT brand caliper paint. Purchased at autozone for about $6 a can.

Looks damn good to me. Black is the way to go. Everything else will get dirty and look crappy. Silver may be the only other way I would go.

Im not gonna do them neon green or something rediculous and ricey like that. Stick to darker colors and dont do anything loud (screaming yellow, fire engine red). After all, its a taurus, not a civic :p

-Damon
:eek: I must have missed this thread.. It's too late.. call me Mr. Rice, I've already painted my Lincoln Calipers for the rear of my car.. YELLOW. :p

When I get a chance I'll pull off a wheel and take some pictures... atleast it's documented in My Garage

1 - 17 of 17 Posts