Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone seen the Dale Jr. edition Monte Carlo? Anyway it looks pretty good for a chevy anyway. The rims that the monte carlo's have are kind of similar to the Taurus rims. 5 spoke with the slotted triangle. The Dale Jr. edition has them painted black, not the whole rim, but just where the triangle cut out is, too bad I can't get a pic because I still haven't found a pic of the freakin car. Chevy doesn't like showing all they're cars for some reason. But how hard is it to paint aluminum rims, and what is the process?

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I would think that the rims would need to be surface prepped (sanded or sand blasted) to get the clearcoat off. It would then need to be wet sanded to smooth it out perfectly. Paint would then go on, then clearcoat. This would be something you'd want a shop to do for you. You'd actually be better off getting the wheels powdercoated, as it will probably stand up better over time.

I still haven't seen the Dale Jr. ed. I really liked the Dale Sr. ed though. As much as I hate GMs, I've always kinda like the Monte's. My buddy had an 86' Monte that we worked on alot, and I just got attached to that thing. The new Monte Carlo SS with the supercharger is pretty badass. That thing was fast when I drove it at the GM Autoshow in Motion.

JR

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, same here, I'm not a big chevy fan, but the Monte's and Wimpalas don't really look that bad. There is a Chevy dealership I went to with my friend that has 5 Dale Jr. Monet's. Too bad I didn't have a camera. But they look pretty good. There has been a few people in here that had their rims painted in the middle. Looks good.

·
Registered
517 Posts
here is one up close

Hey 00TaurusSEL, Also check out 3.0 cammer's car. Send him a PM and ask him how he did his. He painted the inner triangle's red just like the monte carlo pic. From his signature.

i did not paint them but id imagine that it would ont be to hard just mask of the area around the triangles and the tire and rattle can away... put some clear coat on and you should be good ...i have some liquid glass that i plan on putting on them it is like some kind of protective polish that actualy will protect it from chiping...

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts